wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Southern Ontario Weather Discussion

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flow may become more favourable to sink that dominant Huron band into London later today/this evening before it weakens. Not a setup for the 2' event I'm craving, but could be a quick 4-6". If it transpires, pics to follow.

Looks like the squalls are inching closer to London. Hope you get something out of it.

This mornings squalls caused nearly 100 traffic accidents across Waterloo Region as a dusting to 5cm threatened to turn this into a miniature Atlanta Snowmageddon in the Kitchener area. Long commutes made many late for work and school, and some buses had to be canceled.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5029244-first-big-snow-makes-mess-of-waterloo-region-roads/

London only* received about 2.4' from that LES outbreak. Lucan in north central Middlesex County cashed in at 5.9'.

* as if 2.4 feet is nothing to write home about  :whistle:

There was another big dog in December 2006 I believe? Yeah, it doesn't happen every year in London 'cause the city is really on the periphery of the snowbelt (like KW, although you guys are even more peripheral). But I got next year too here so I'll bide my time!

There was another big dog in December 2006 I believe? Yeah, it doesn't happen every year in London 'cause the city is really on the periphery of the snowbelt (like KW, although you guys are even more peripheral). But I got next year too here so I'll bide my time!

December 7-8 2006 something like 60-70cm. The snowfall record for London is 100cm in 1977 according to a CBC article about the 2010 event (which was 75cm for London)

We'll see what next week's events bring locally.   Not even enough snow to whiten the ground at home, but that's OK as I still have lots of yard work to get done this weekend.   Wind direction next week will be key.  L. Huron was rather sleepy for this event with not much happening even in the more traditional northern belts.  If the winds stay W or SW for next week,  as some guidance is suggesting, I might start to get a bit irritated.   Most of last year the winds were from the same direction, so other than a big November event, we were usually fringed on squall activity.  

Euro and its ensemble suite in very good agreement on 2-4" in and around pearson this monday. Right now i'm leaning towards 1-2" unless models shift further NW. Should be first sig accumulations around here, bringing my november snowfall near to above normal already.

Sfc temps worry me but at least the timing of the event is decent (Late Sun-Monday morning).

Sfc temps worry me but at least the timing of the event is decent (Late Sun-Monday morning).

Along the lake I could definitely see some issues with accumulation. With the euro pumping out 0.3-0.4" of QPF I think we should reach the 5cm mark north of downtown core. After that event the euro/GFSP are hinting at a D6-7 system and perhaps a bigger daddy around D9-10. Fun pattern.

I got 9.5 cm of snow from this first LES event. I'm just getting a lot of flurries most of the time but its only on the grass, trees, roofs, etc. Sidewalks and pavement are dry again for the most part. I wasn't that impressed with the bands, they were disorganized and chunky instead of a smooth band. It is early for this so its not a big deal.

2ept3ia.jpg

Here is some historic amounts from TWN for fun, but why would they pick Miden instead of Lucan for that event?

2hx1rt2.jpg

I got 9.5 cm of snow from this first LES event. I'm just getting a lot of flurries most of the time but its only on the grass, trees, roofs, etc. Sidewalks and pavement are dry again for the most part. I wasn't that impressed with the bands, they were disorganized and chunky instead of a smooth band. It is early for this so its not a big deal.

2ept3ia.jpg

Here is some historic amounts from TWN for fun, but why would they pick Miden instead of Lucan for that event?

2hx1rt2.jpg

I believe they are all SW flow events like what is forecast.  Lucan would have probably have been a NW or WNW flow

0z GFS looks nearly identical to the 12z GFS in terms of track and precip. Consensus is growing for our first potential snow event of the season in the GTA. Amounts are still up in the air. It'll come down to how cold surface temperatures are and how much low level cooling we can get. Without a decent snowpack in the region, heat doesn't escape as fast and the ground retains warmth longer. 

post-6644-0-88355400-1416112088_thumb.gi

My preliminary calls are 5-7cm north of the 401 and 1-3cm south of the 401. Very temperature dependant, but also a sharp cutoff as well. Areas just south of Newmarket look to take the brunt of it, while areas further north will escape with a light dusting, however; LES will be up and running as soon as the storm passes as winds wrap around the LP. 

Looks like a fun week, haha! 

I believe they are all SW flow events like what is forecast.  Lucan would have probably have been a NW or WNW flow

77 inches in 24 hours in Montague. That is absolutely insane, seems fishy to me... I remember the 38 inches in 24 hours in 1995 in Buffalo. I was 8 at the time and it was what got me to love Lake Effect snow and Meteorology in general.

Here is an article about that 77 inches in 24 hours.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/extremes/ncec/mantague-ny-snowfall-24hour.pdf

77 inches in 24 hours in Montague. That is absolutely insane! I remember the 38 inches in 24 hours in 1995 in Buffalo. I was 8 at the time and it was what got me to love Lake Effect snow and Meteorology in general.

Wow!! Thats crazy, holy cow! I'd love to live in these Lake effect regions to experience a Winter with Lake Effect snow. But 77 inches? I'd move away as soon as i could see the road again, :lmao:

If i'm not mistaken, your area could be in for some nice treats later this week as the Lake Effect snow fires up. How much did you receive in LES last season? 

Wow!! Thats crazy, holy cow! I'd love to live in these Lake effect regions to experience a Winter with Lake Effect snow. But 77 inches? I'd move away as soon as i could see the road again, :lmao:

If i'm not mistaken, your area could be in for some nice treats later this week as the Lake Effect snow fires up. How much did you receive in LES last season? 

Yeah that document makes it seem like that 77 inches in 24 hours to be untrue, but not positive. Yeah, definitely looks like a fun time next week for Lake effect. Bands should be meandering all over for most of the week. I'm not sure what I received in lake effect last season, but most of the time 60% of our yearly snowfall is from lake effect. Had 162 inches total last year at my location, 130 at the Buffalo Airport.

Here is my YouTube channel if you want to see my Lake effect chases from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3LutXF6kA73itxjVZ9h7-w

EC forecast today through Monday has a maximum of 4" of snow in KW/Hamilton areas, just under 3" in London, and 1.5" in Toronto.

EC has 6-10cm in the forecast for here through the next 48 hours. Not a bad early snowfall.

Main event should occur around from around 03Z-15Z Monday morning, so not worried about surface temps around here. Ground temperatures have dropped significantly in the last few days and there's light snow falling right now which should help accumulations later on.

NAM total QPF for YKF is 0.32", GFS slightly drier at 0.29".

SREF mean for YYZ is 0.37" while NAM shows 0.35" and GFS with a bullish 0.43".

So looks like you guys closer to the lake will benefit from better moisture but maybe some moderation in temperature from the lake. We'll see who wins out in the end but it could be close. Either way let's all enjoy our first widespread, measurable snow :)

Archived