• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Proposed Changes to NWS Forecast Icons

There's an icon used for Heavy Snow that NWS put in the the "today" examples, but it's not the one that's used today for really heavy snow, like for blizzard/near blizzard conditions.  Sorry, but I don't have the icon, and of course, there's no severe winter weather right now where the icon is in use that I can link to....

My question, that I have never been able to find an answer to is:  What the heck is the picture of?  It looks like a photo but it's hard to tell exactly what or where it is.  Anyone know?

Only took a couple days to get a blizzard back on the map...the current blizzard icon: blizzard100.png

I submitted.  Like boxes around WWAs, new sunny graphic, detailed wording under graphics.  Dislike sleet/snow graphic of white car...what is that?  Dislike freezing rain graphic, again, what is that?  The current ones showing actual pingers and icicles work.  Also, the diagonal to vertical split is a bad idea, triangle images show more than those thin rectangular ones.

I submitted.  Like boxes around WWAs, new sunny graphic, detailed wording under graphics.  Dislike sleet/snow graphic of white car...what is that?  Dislike freezing rain graphic, again, what is that?  The current ones showing actual pingers and icicles work.  Also, the diagonal to vertical split is a bad idea, triangle images show more than those thin rectangular ones.

I strongly agree with you about the snow/sleet/freezing rain icons.  The freezing rain one looks too much like plain rain.  The rain/snow one is likely to be confused as just plain snow as the raindops aren't very evident.  I do like the vertical split a bit more than the diagonal because it makes it clearler what is happening first, but I do agree those split graphics can be hard to see.

The scattered showers icons look a bit weird with their rigid and opaque downdrafts, and I do think there are better options for the blizzard image, but I love the improvements for the most part. I'm especially fond of the icon for cold, which I recognized as an enhanced image from the February 1969 snowstorm in NYC. Cool. :)

How about that! We agree! :)

I strongly agree with you about the snow/sleet/freezing rain icons.  The freezing rain one looks too much like plain rain.  The rain/snow one is likely to be confused as just plain snow as the raindops aren't very evident.  I do like the vertical split a bit more than the diagonal because it makes it clearler what is happening first, but I do agree those split graphics can be hard to see.

Agree and that was my first thought when i saw the rain/snow graphic. That needs some tweaking.

Hopefully they fix the infamous unknown precip ob.

Overall they look good, with a clear/cleaner look. Also like the addition of headlines being shown for the given timeframes.

The new freezing rain and sleet icons are terrible though and need to be fixed. Re-work the old ones as they did with most of the others and they would be set.

Archived