joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Pattern Discussion

jaxjagman

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS OZ is so close but i really think its catching on to the Euro,just cant get the phase

I think it is safe to say that we have something else to track near the middle of the month; a good snow would be great before we get into severe weather season. I heard a local weather personality commenting yesterday that Atlanta has again had more than double the snowfall this year than Nashville.

The 12z Euro is at it again...a nice Apps running bomb with a swath of trailing snow...More anticipation agony for the MidSouth.....

Everyone has given up in the Midsouth- well, at least Memphis and Nashville have.

Sent from my SCH-L710

Everyone has given up in the Midsouth- well, at least Memphis and Nashville have.

Sent from my SCH-L710

Not a very impressive run from last night into today with the system now being shown in the OV on the Euro.Probably good though for some light snow on the back end and a impressive 200-300mb winds at 130 kts other than that..blah

Bowling ball low late on the Euro.  Have to watch those.  Definitely agree that chances are slimming down now to just elevation snows.  At this time of year, totally expected and right on time. 

You know what is interesting the CPC only shows above normal temps on their long range maps....Those maps totally missed what was one of the coldest Januarys on record from this time last year.   Absolutely no way that we do not have a month in the long range that won't be colder than normal somewhere in the lower 48(outside of the coming month)....

Bowling ball low late on the Euro.  Have to watch those.  Definitely agree that chances are slimming down now to just elevation snows.  At this time of year, totally expected and right on time. 

You know what is interesting the CPC only shows above normal temps on their long range maps....Those maps totally missed what was one of the coldest Januarys on record from this time last year.   Absolutely no way that we do not have a month in the long range that won't be colder than normal somewhere in the lower 48(outside of the coming month)....

Agree,climatology we get the best storms in March.I'm not writing this ofF yet but the key is where the boundary sets up for this one IMHO

As for next winter...reeeeealllly hope this verifies....weak El Nino.   Would be like loading the bases with no strikes and no outs w/ the bottom of the order up to bat.  And some really cool words that I WILL be using just to impress all of you - whether I know what they mean or not.  Think "Catch Me if You Can".  I concur.  #HybridCoupledModel #MaxPlankInstitutefuerMeteorlogie

post-769-0-61044700-1394228910_thumb.jpg

post-769-0-19433900-1394228911_thumb.jpg

Wondering about the 12z Euro. This is the monster the 00z showed last night. Keep in mind, March can produce monster snows. Most of the snow records for the entire Valley came in March.

GZ_PN_216_0000.gif

The 2 largest snows in Memphis history came in March.... both of them about 18 inches. Fun fact, except it doesn't actually snow in Memphis anymore.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

Real dynamical storm.But i'm not excited about the snow chances.On the teleconnections today the AO is +3 during this time and some of the esm has it at +4. NAO is still positive.Not sure where this cold air is coming from other than the -epo but this is around mid March we are talking about, not Jan.Storm will continue to trend N and this will be a severe threat in the Valley

Telling you guys this is gonna be one hell of a severe weather event.Seeing the GFS is throwing the 300 mb winds at 140 kts in middle MS and contines to show this N each run,the Euro is to far S with this and this will continue to trend N.Neither model has a grasp on this storm

Telling you guys this is gonna be one hell of a severe weather event.Seeing the GFS is throwing the 300 mb winds at 140 kts in middle MS and contines to show this N each run,the Euro is to far S with this and this will continue to trend N.Neither model has a grasp on this storm

Except the instability is pitiful with the 10˚C H85 isotherm south in the Gulf. Strong upper level winds aren't the only thing needed for a significant severe weather event, and there is nothing at this junction to suggest one.

Watch the trend,0Z EURO is showing the tt's at 54 in Arkansas,this will shift towards the Valley.The euro no longer shows a snow threat which i thought would soon wouldnt

What trend? Just because the TTs are high doesn't mean a severe weather threat is likely, I'm still seeing nothing to indicate anything more than a marginal threat (if any at all, which seems more likely at this point). You seem to be cherry-picking indices and making up the meteorology as you go. What is to suggest that the higher indices (if any) will spread into the TN Valley when there is hardly any certainty about what the actual synoptic setup will look like in the first place? LL winds are relatively weak in both cases and there is very little/no instability whatsoever or even a favorable upper level pattern especially with the southern stream shortwave to the south of the region in the first case (48-72 hrs) and the trough is becoming increasingly sheared with time if we are talking about the 168-216 hr period and is also south of the region (not to mention the area will likely be completely socked in with clouds in both cases). The way the latter system develops (168-216 hrs) really does not appear conducive to a widespread severe weather event in any part of the country. In addition, don't forget that suppression has been common recently.

Also I'm not sure what that D8-10 composite is supposed to suggest, but you're not going to see severe in the TN Valley with a 500 mb look like that. Please indicate what timeframe you are talking about in your posts as well.

What trend? Just because the TTs are high doesn't mean a severe weather threat is likely, I'm still seeing nothing to indicate anything more than a marginal threat (if any at all, which seems more likely at this point). You seem to be cherry-picking indices and making up the meteorology as you go. What is to suggest that the higher indices (if any) will spread into the TN Valley when there is hardly any certainty about what the actual synoptic setup will look like in the first place? LL winds are relatively weak in both cases and there is very little/no instability whatsoever or even a favorable upper level pattern especially with the southern stream shortwave to the south of the region in the first case (48-72 hrs) and the trough is becoming increasingly sheared with time if we are talking about the 168-216 hr period and is also south of the region (not to mention the area will likely be completely socked in with clouds in both cases). The way the latter system develops (168-216 hrs) really does not appear conducive to a widespread severe weather event in any part of the country. In addition, don't forget that suppression has been common recently.

Also I'm not sure what that D8-10 composite is supposed to suggest, but you're not going to see severe in the TN Valley with a 500 mb look like that. Please indicate what timeframe you are talking about in your posts as well.

Is it that boring in BC ?

0z Euro suggests 3 to 5 inches of snow on west TN around hour 200. Probably a long shot but worth noting.

Longshot? Depends on where you're talking about. Definitely not going to happen in Memphis or Nashville.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

Archived