• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

Question for you guys with more experience driving in this stuff.  I would like to get home this morning. I have a 4x4 Ford Ranger. My front tires are brand new but my rear tires are a little older and are starting to wear the treads. I drive it in 4WD High. The bed is packed to the brim almost with snow/sleet. Is there anything else I can do to get more traction? Drive in 2nd gear? 1st gear? Take overdrive off? Anything?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for you guys with more experience driving in this stuff.  I would like to get home this morning. I have a 4x4 Ford Ranger. My front tires are brand new but my rear tires are a little older and are starting to wear the treads. I drive it in 4WD High. The bed is packed to the brim almost with snow/sleet. Is there anything else I can do to get more traction? Drive in 2nd gear? 1st gear? Take overdrive off? Anything?

youll be fine in 4wd.  Let some air out of the tires, it will give you better contact

On the west side of Fayetteville currently walked outside for 20 minutes and saw three transformers blow in the distance and heard numerous branches breaking currently at 0.4 ice. Still have power

i feel for you guys. Looks like you have a ton of precipitation still on the way as well. Good luck and stay safe

30.0 per my closest station on Wunderground.  In Western Cary, real close to Chatham Cty.  Holy ice storm batman!  Everything is glazed out here.  It could be worse in Durham/CH.  I'd say about 1/4" here.  Getting dangerously close to some outages if any more falls!

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/fortysevenpercent/Nature%20Pics/Snowstorm2-12and2-13-14_zps05468f3b.jpg

My goodness WSOC is daft. Their "live reporter" just told everyone to go extremely slow on the roadways. You can't do that or else you're gonna get stuck. You have to build some kind of momentum or else you're gonna get halfway up hills and slide right back down.  She also said she has seen "2 to 3" snow plows on the roads already.  2 to 3? how many, 2 or 3? Or are there half snow plows out there? She also talked about how hard the ice pack on top of the snow is and proceeded to push her foot right through it. Then she tried to show how slushy the actual road is by pushing her foot through the slush and it moved nowhere.  Was the worst I have ever seen. 

My goodness WSOC is daft. Their "live reporter" just told everyone to go extremely slow on the roadways. You can't do that or else you're gonna get stuck. You have to build some kind of momentum or else you're gonna get halfway up hills and slide right back down.  She also said she has seen "2 to 3" snow plows on the roads already.  2 to 3? how many, 2 or 3? Or are there half snow plows out there? She also talked about how hard the ice pack on top of the snow is and proceeded to push her foot right through it. Then she tried to show how slushy the actual road is by pushing her foot through the slush and it moved nowhere.  Was the worst I have ever seen. 

Holy hell. Another reporter just said, "As you can see the power lines have no real ice build up but that is because we've been having this fine mist instead of that hard sleet that would cause power issues."  Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Just a reminder guys please put your location in your comments since the locations have been turned off in our profile info.

Like others have said, we had some crazy sleet fall here in Concord overnight that switched over to a light freezing drizzle a few hours ago, the trees have a glaze on them but I haven't been out to measure. I'm guessing maybe a tenth. Everything is a solid brick of ice.

Hopefully I can get a switch back over to snow this morning. NWS saying 2-4", local news saying 1-2". Temp is 31 but that might drop a degree or two as the upper lower swings through and we kick back over to snow.

Just a reminder guys please put your location in your comments since the locations have been turned off in our profile info.

Like others have said, we had some crazy sleet fall here in Concord overnight that switched over to a light freezing drizzle a few hours ago, the trees have a glaze on them but I haven't been out to measure. I'm guessing maybe a tenth. Everything is a solid brick of ice.

Hopefully I can get a switch back over to snow this morning. NWS saying 2-4", local news saying 1-2". Temp is 31 but that might drop a degree or two as the upper lower swings through and we kick back over to snow.

Where is this at? lol

Archived