Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WBIR shows snow at the mayor's house, lol. I think that's about 10 miles south of me maybe. Stovepipe would know - Choto area to Lovell/Kingston Pike area. Also 2800 power outages in West Hills. I guess from the wind? Now that wouldn't be fun. I'd sacrifice my snow for electricity.

edit - yep they said from the wind

Zone forecast just changed Farragut from less than one inch to one to three inches. I'll take the one and be happy with any extra. It's 36 where I am. I can't figure out how to change my temps on the location so I may take Tyson off there. Light rain so far.

You're only going to get a local airport nearest you that reports hourly temps. In East Tennessee that's pretty much Tri, Chattanooga, Knox, Oak Ridge, Middlesboro, Crossville and maybe Somerset, Kentucky in Northern Scott or Fentress Co.

Reinforcing shot coming through West Tenn. If you didn't think it was already cold enough in East Tenn. Along with single digits at the surface, 850 is -20C. Expect strato-cu to fill in from Plateau east. Already developing. Might be some more snow showers East Tenn, North Bama, Northwest GA. MRX mentions flurries/snow showers afternoon in zones, perhaps hinting at this mid-morning break. Still I don't see any accumulation outside of the Tri Cities, Upper Plateau and of course Smokies. Air with reinforcing shot is very dry, with even wider temp/dew spreads, but flurries still seem reasonable. Regarding the snow bust, perhaps Mets and Pros should not start threads, per risk of jinxing the system. At least the cold is interesting. Couple of points below.

Just watching local NBC. They use an in house model called "Vipercast". It showed widespread 1*-3* across Tennessee except for Chattanooga. Big fat dry slot. Haha. That's probably an accurate forecast since we have no gulf moisture to work with. 

High Resolution modeling really catches the hole from Chattanooga northeast now. Computing power and physics of the models have both improved. Models also handle the Plateau now. They even catch Maryville getting more than Knoxville, due to a slight elevation difference.

Long time lurker, with finally enough cajones to say something. I'm still a newbie when it comes to reading & interpreting model data.....but I thought if the system was slower, then it would increase our accumulations? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!!!

Slower is definitely better for QPF, and snowfall iff cold air is in place. However this issue was a slower arctic front, with no change in precipitation timing. So the usual South scenario took place: Rain ends before it is cold enough. Of course we got the flurries and snow showers, but not the good behind the front precip. You are on the right track.

Archived