• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 31-January 2 hybrid frisbee storm Part 3

snowstormcanuck

I wouldn't. That was a completely distinct system. Completely separate sfc low and ul short wave.

Yeah the more I think about it you are correct. It was only the calendar day thing and the fact there was such a brief lull that threw me on the fence for storm totals (wish the damn snow would have held off just a few hours longer to make it more tidy :lol: )

The exact same area (downriver to Monroe) was the jackpot as they were December 14th. Saw a report of 11.0" in Monroe and 9.8" in Carleton but with it being such a long duration storm I suspect some reports arent complete.

Calendar day totals...

Wyandotte:

12/31: 1.7"

01/01: 6.9"

01/02: 4.4"

Three-day total: 13.0"

Main storm total: 11.6"

DTW:

12/31: 1.5"

01/01: 6.4"

01/02: 4.4"

Three-day total 12.3"

Main storm total: 11.1"

Detroits 11.1" ties with Jan 14, 1992 & Mar 7/8, 1931 for the 19th largest snowstorm on record for Detroit.

Some pics.

The daylight pics were taken this morning between 8-9am. 2.5" more snow fell after they were taken. Then just a few night pics to show digout.

3670-800.jpg

3671-800.jpg

3672-800.jpg

3673-800.jpg

3674-800.jpg

3675-800.jpg

3676-800.jpg

3677-800.jpg

3678-800.jpg

3679-800.jpg

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM scored one for this area qpf-wise. Quite surprised actually. My only "complaint" about this storm? I can DEFINITELY do without this wind. The storm until early this morning was a pretty calm nice- not to mention easy to measure- snowfall. Now the wind is blowing everywhere, its brutal, and blowing/drifting the snow everywhere. Im one of those people who likes the snow deep and crisp and even lol. Theres plenty of snow around that it certainly isnt an issue looks wise, if anything its cool to see the drifts...but from a weather observing standpoint, its a b**ch to pick a number for snow depth. And thats in a suburban neighborhood. Even worse in open areas.

Cleared the board, and looks like we got about 4.7" of Lake Effect Snow this evening. All of it fell in a relatively short amount of time (~2.5 hours). Snow depth north of 8" now, but it will probably take a hit once the lake effect compacts. Was very surprised that we ended up with that much snow.

If you check the obs yesterday for CLE and BKL this storm would have verified as a Blizzard for a small segment of folks along the Lake Erie shoreline between downtown Cleveland and Lorain. 5 hours of 40+ mph winds in downtown Cleveland with visibilities ranging from 0.5 to 1 miles. They were just outside the heaviest bands than places farther west so visibilities weren't as low as CLE. So coastal areas in between would have met official blizzard conditions.

Definitely something to ponder as the next storm approaches. If we were able to get these types of winds now, I can't imagine what Sunday night could bring.

Storm total of 11.6" IMBY, which excludes the Tuesday morning clipper snows.

If you check the obs yesterday for CLE and BKL this storm would have verified as a Blizzard for a small segment of folks along the Lake Erie shoreline between downtown Cleveland and Lorain. 5 hours of 40+ mph winds in downtown Cleveland with visibilities ranging from 0.5 to 1 miles. They were just outside the heaviest bands than places farther west so visibilities weren't as low as CLE. So coastal areas in between would have met official blizzard conditions.

Definitely something to ponder as the next storm approaches. If we were able to get these types of winds now, I can't imagine what Sunday night could bring.

Storm total of 11.6" IMBY, which excludes the Tuesday morning clipper snows.

An exact match to me. What was your clipper total? (1.4" here).

CLE finally got that 6"+ storm :)

An exact match to me. What was your clipper total? (1.4" here).

CLE finally got that 6"+ storm :)

Had an inch in the morning. If I'm going to get picky now, it'd be nice to get a good snowfall where it's not 40mph winds. The landscape looks so much nicer when it's not as windy. Plus it's easier to measure.

Had an inch in the morning. If I'm going to get picky now, it'd be nice to get a good snowfall where it's not 40mph winds. The landscape looks so much nicer when it's not as windy. Plus it's easier to measure.

Did I hack your username :lol:. My sentiments EXACTLY with the wind. It still looks great as drifts are cool. But measuring is a b**ch. Through midnight yesterday (7.2") measuring was easy....thereafter all hell broke loose with the wind and I had to use the catch in my rain gauge to get the final 4.4" measurment.

Did I hack your username :lol:. My sentiments EXACTLY with the wind. It still looks great as drifts are cool. But measuring is a b**ch. Through midnight yesterday (7.2") measuring was easy....thereafter all hell broke loose with the wind and I had to use the catch in my rain gauge to get the final 4.4" measurment.

It was windy here the entire event.  It is always interesting the wind difference between our areas yet we are not really that far apart.

Archived