SnowHabit
06z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just since the other thread is dead

Upton

"CONSIDERABLE DRIFTING AND BLOWING SNOW...WITH POTENTIAL BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. BASED ON COLLABORATION WITH SURROUNDING OFFICES WILL HOLD OFF ON BLIZZARD WATCH FOR NOW WITH SOME UNCERTAINTY ON INTENSITY AND DURATION OF SNOW BANDING ALONG THE COAST. TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL LIKELY BE DIFFICULT THU NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING."

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just since the other thread is dead

"CONSIDERABLE DRIFTING AND BLOWING SNOW...WITH POTENTIAL BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. BASED ON COLLABORATION WITH SURROUNDING OFFICES WILL HOLD OFF ON BLIZZARD WATCH FOR NOW WITH SOME UNCERTAINTY ON INTENSITY AND DURATION OF SNOW BANDING ALONG THE COAST. TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL LIKELY BE DIFFICULT THU NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING."

Sent from my SCH-I545

Where? 

EDIT: Nevermind. 

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
446 AM EST WED JAN 1 2014

...A COASTAL STORM WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOW...NEAR
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ALONG THE COAST...AND DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND
CHILLS THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

CTZ009>012-NJZ006-NYZ071>075-078>081-176>179-012215-
/O.EXT.KOKX.WS.A.0005.140102T2300Z-140103T1800Z/
SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX-
SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-HUDSON-SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-
NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-
KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-
SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN QUEENS-
NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN NASSAU-
446 AM EST WED JAN 1 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH
FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

* LOCATIONS...COASTAL CONNECTICUT...NEW YORK CITY METROPOLITAN
AREA AND SURROUNDINGS...AND LONG ISLAND.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 9 INCHES.

* WINDS...NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES DROPPING INTO THE LOWER TEENS
THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH WIND CHILLS OF 5 TO
10 BELOW ZERO.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES LATE
THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY.

* IMPACTS...THE ACCUMULATING SNOW...ALONG WITH CONSIDERABLE
BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...WOULD PRODUCE DANGEROUS TRAVEL
CONDITIONS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

$

Anything else that should be mentioned? ;)

yes - even if you cut the NAM qpf in half it equals .60 and with ratio's 15 :1 snowfall amounts are  closer to 9 inches and if the ratio is 20:1 you are talking a foot - which is VERY possible in some locations also considering this is going to be a prolonged event with much below normal temps ........

After digesting all of the 6z data NYC remains a very difficult forecast. For me the storm has 3 parts broken down into Thurs am, Thur PM and Fri AM.  All models give NYC at least moderate snow with high snow ratios for the last part of the storm. So even if part 1 and 2 don't deliver part 3 will drop at least 3-6" all by itself, For me the make or break part of forecast is how much if any snow falls before 00z Friday? 6z GFS and 0z Euro say very little >2" but 6z NAM, RGEM and SREF avg out to 3-6" before the almost certain 3-6" in part 3. If dryslot wins out NYC ends up 4-6" if dry slot is less prevelent during the day Thursday  NYC ends up 8-10".  Hence the NWS forecast of 6-8" for Central Park seems logical after 0z and 6z models.   

Wonder when Mt. Holly will post up watches/advisories. They must be playing it safe for the moment. 

Makes no sense having eastern Union County ( Upton)under WSW and Northern Middlesex County (Mt. Holly) not under any watches

seriously all you guys really need to do is look at the 500 MB maps.  This storm has looked great for days.  NYC Metro is going to get 6-10 inches at least from this storm.  I remember a storm similar to this one that  NY meteorologists were calling the 1-2 punch.  Basically we were suppose to get 12 inches from the first half of the storm and then another 6-12 for the next half.  Wound up with 10 inches in Paramus, New Jersey.  This storm is happening. Book it.  

seriously all you guys really need to do is look at the 500 MB maps.  This storm has looked great for days.  NYC Metro is going to get 6-10 inches at least from this storm.  I remember a storm similar to this one that  NY meteorologists were calling the 1-2 punch.  Basically we were suppose to get 12 inches from the first half of the storm and then another 6-12 for the next half.  Wound up with 10 inches in Paramus, New Jersey.  This storm is happening. Book it.  

I agree and we also have to consider that the ingredients are there for this to become a MECS bordering on a HECS (especially across areas east and northeast of NYC )with the amount of precip dynamics and a prolonged event and temps in the teens or lower - this will translate to much higher then the normal 10:1 ratios - this will become much clearer in the next 24 hours as new data arrives and we can see on the radars - water vapor etc what we will be dealing with - big question now is where that dry slot on some models is located

I agree and we also have to consider that the ingredients are there for this to become a MECS bordering on a HECS (especially across areas east and northeast of NYC )with the amount of precip dynamics and a prolonged event and temps in the teens or lower - this will translate to much higher then the normal 10:1 ratios

Nooooooooooooooooo....that wasn't what I was trying say at all.   :cry:

I hope all of you enjoy your 6-12 inches.  Wish I could enjoy some fresh powder.  Happy New Year. 

This is a blizzard on Nassau and Suffolk county. I will cut NAM QPF in half and still come up w .7 avg at 15 to 1 when I use

RGEM SREF GFS blend I think this is 8 to 10 area wide .

I would hope the euro bumps at 12z , but the 2 ft on the NAM high res onto Long Island should b dismissed for a bit .

This is a blizzard on Nassau and Suffolk county. I will cut NAM QPF in half and still come up w .7 avg at 15 to 1 when I use

RGEM SREF GFS blend I think this is 8 to 10 area wide .

I would hope the euro bumps at 12z , but the 2 ft on the NAM high res onto Long Island should b dismissed for a bit .

would probably be a blizzard for NyC and 5 boroughs as well if that's the case

Archived