joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sat / Sun Light Snow Event?

Tropopause_Fold

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there was nothing at my house as I went to work, but about 10 miles to my SE.

I'm not sure why nobody had snow in the forecast for PYM county. As the day went on yesterday it was clear it'd make it. Little surprised by how little fell on the mid cape but obviously there's a ne component at a couple thousand feet.

These highs need to displace a little NNE and then we could really rock.

I'm not sure why nobody had snow in the forecast for PYM county. As the day went on yesterday it was clear it'd make it. Little surprised by how little fell on the mid cape but obviously there's a ne component at a couple thousand feet.

These highs need to displace a little NNE and then we could really rock.

I looked on the S weymouth TDWR and it wasn't showing anything near the shore. I wonder if it's even hitting the ground there.

Yeah having a 1042 high overhead is certainly not good and this event looked rather lousy even a couple of days ago...but nice to see flakes when it's near 20F I suppose.

I looked on the S weymouth TDWR and it wasn't showing anything near the shore. I wonder if it's even hitting the ground there.

Yeah having a 1042 high overhead is certainly not good and this event looked rather lousy even a couple of days ago...but nice to see flakes when it's near 20F I suppose.

With no real support at 8h this was going to be very tough. Shame too because despite the dry air if winds were aligned this would have rocked.

Just a very weak flow with good instability. Shame we wasted a great oes opportunity. Lately nothing is aligning quite right unless your a ski resort making snow!

With no real support at 8h this was going to be very tough. Shame too because despite the dry air if winds were aligned this would have rocked.

Just a very weak flow with good instability. Shame we wasted a great oes opportunity. Lately nothing is aligning quite right unless your a ski resort making snow!

Well November gave you guys an inch or so of snow with cold temps. For Novie...I'd say you did fairly well. I'm fine with the season so far. It's very difficult to get snow here this early.

Well November gave you guys an inch or so of snow with cold temps. For Novie...I'd say you did fairly well. I'm fine with the season so far. It's very difficult to get snow here this early.

I agree wholeheartedly. I feel Dec 15 or so is where we typically start going

Had trace or better on 5 days in November. Not bad

oes can actually even develop with 8h winds blowing offshore.

it was a combo of things that wouldn't allow this one to be any more than it was expected to be.

oes can actually even develop with 8h winds blowing offshore.

it was a combo of things that wouldn't allow this one to be any more than it was expected to be.

It can but it's almost never of consequence unless we've got better support around 8h. You could see last night winds near that level were fighting the lower level winds as bands were being pushed south but still with nw to se banding.

Scituate looks to be the jackpot this am.

There are years when oes is prolific. We just need a high a little north and we may dump some good fluff from one of these

It can but it's almost never of consequence unless we've got better support around 8h. You could see last night winds near that level were fighting the lower level winds as bands were being pushed south but still with nw to se banding.

Scituate looks to be the jackpot this am.

There are years when oes is prolific. We just need a high a little north and we may dump some good fluff from one of these

I think one of the famous case studies for OES that dropped like 17" in South Weymouth had some west winds around 800mb. That's usually how they can organized in bands and you get those convective rolls that allow bands to form. Anyways, it's all about inv heights and moisture. Even an inv height to 900mb can produce if the temp and moisture are adequate.

I think one of the famous case studies for OES that dropped like 17" in South Weymouth had some west winds around 800mb. That's usually how they can organized in bands and you get those convective rolls that allow bands to form. Anyways, it's all about inv heights and moisture. Even an inv height to 900mb can produce if the temp and moisture are adequate.

yeah exactly. we actually see that pretty regularly. 

really the best way to get them to produce here is to get some sort of synoptic scale feature to give them a little assist. 

But in that instance what were the winds 900-850?

We had some great oes events in the 90s all the way back into Bristol county.

But in that instance what were the winds 900-850?

We had some great oes events in the 90s all the way back into Bristol county.

I lived in Bristol county as a kid and i cant recall a single storm where there was ocean effect to the tune of 2" or more. Enhancement in nor'easter (perhaps) but more for pym county for sure. I cant recall any significant Bristol county oes in my raynham hood Eva.

I lived in Bristol county as a kid and i cant recall a single storm where there was ocean effect to the tune of 2" or more. Enhancement in nor'easter (perhaps) but more for pym county for sure. I cant recall any significant Bristol county oes in my raynham hood Eva.

There were a few events that give TAN a couple of inches. I remember them since I went to HS at Coyle Cassidy.

Anyways, cool mesoscale things going on. BOS with NNW winds and HYA NE winds as well a the interior. Localized convergence and lower pressure near the cstl front locking in light NNW winds near the coast. Also, the natural tendency will be for colder air to move towards the warmer ocean water...just like cold air over the ocean would want to move towards the warmer land in the summer. Meanwhile, the synoptic flow is forcing the air to start to turn more NE like it is over in ORH.

Archived