• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sat / Sun Light Snow Event?

Tropopause_Fold

seemed to all pretty much go as planned really. 

I think the snow in eastern MA wasn't well forecast....didn't see a single NOAA or TV forecast talk about snow in PYM county and certainly not Cape Anne.  They got a little bit of what I think we thought you were in line for...but other than that yeah.  I did expect more actual mood snow than fell down your way over to me.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the snow in eastern MA wasn't well forecast....didn't see a single NOAA or TV forecast talk about snow in PYM county and certainly not Cape Anne.  They got a little bit of what I think we thought you were in line for...but other than that yeah.  I did expect more actual mood snow than fell down your way over to me.

i follow virtually none of them at this point so can't speak to it. read stuff on twitter, but that's about all. i think in this thread it was discussed that the stuff would turn E/W and move inland. 

Yeah that's why we joke about it...it's probably no different in all New England states, but you just comment on CT roads a lot, so everyone jokes that they don't know what they are doing. I'm sure it's no different in MA, we just don't hear about it.

If a tree falls in a forest...

i follow virtually none of them at this point so can't speak to it. read stuff on twitter, but that's about all. i think in this thread it was discussed that the stuff would turn E/W and move inland.

Wasn't covered at all. Universal focus was Barnstable east.

At least we saw snow this weekend Phil you and I are way ahead of the game.

Actually I think it is CT...Will always commented on how the roads sucked there and then once you crossed the border..it was fine.

Yes, you see it a lot. That doesn't mean MA doesn't have issues though. Its not like MA avoids all road issues. :lol:

The biggest difference is always on I-84 crossing from CT into MA in my own experience.

What is interesting to me is they are using an out of state firm. Couple of things, CT should be promoting in state businesses, local firms have intimate knowledge of local climo nuances. Perhaps poster KBC who works for DOT can chime in.

Steve, CTDOT as an agency is bound by purchasing regulations for good and services, these are administered by the Dept of Administrative Services (DAS), as a curiosity I went to DAS's contracting portal today and found contract# 13PSX0029 for Northwest Weathernet in Bellevue WA, all of this info is in the public domain and is easily accessible, when reading the document(s) pay attention to Exhibit A, this spells out the performance requirements that the agency expects. I honestly don't know why there aren't more local (or even closer) vendors on the contract but it's what we have. I haven't been directly involved in the "emergency" response side of the house for a few years now and I'm not aware of any major policy changes.

http://www.biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Search/ContractDetail.aspx?ID=12975

Steve, CTDOT as an agency is bound by purchasing regulations for good and services, these are administered by the Dept of Administrative Services (DAS), as a curiosity I went to DAS's contracting portal today and found contract# 13PSX0029 for Northwest Weathernet in Bellevue WA, all of this info is in the public domain and is easily accessible, when reading the document(s) pay attention to Exhibit A, this spells out the performance requirements that the agency expects. I honestly don't know why there aren't more local (or even closer) vendors on the contract but it's what we have. I haven't been directly involved in the "emergency" response side of the house for a few years now and I'm not aware of any major policy changes.

http://www.biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Search/ContractDetail.aspx?ID=12975

cool thanks, so put out to bid, thanks for the link

Every story I've done with the DOT they've always talked about their private forecasts and new technology they use to forecast road conditions. I've never heard them even mention a NWS forecast or product. Not sure why they would either if they're spending a lot of money for customized forecasts.

That's an important part of it too. We don't have as much to dedicate to forecasting road conditions as a private firm does. That private firm may not have to worry as much about wind forecasts in Boston Harbor let's say. Plus the DOT usually has different thresholds than the NWS when it comes to snow removal. We care about 3 or 4" because that's when significant impacts begin for us, but the DOT cares about that first inch for snow removal.

We've had the guys from Maine in the office to give talks about what they do and do not use. It was pretty interesting actually.

Archived