joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Thanksgiving Sou'easter Observation and Nowcasting Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm turned out to be very well forecasted. If you believed the NAM or hold on to forecasts from 48 hours ago then yea you'd say the reality was less rain. There's always going to be one or two locales that get slightly shafted or slightly jackpotted.

Look at Earthlight is March 2009. All of us got our forecasted 8-12 but somehow he only got like 5 or 6. That was the last time a storm ever underperformed for him btw.

JFK got 6.7" & LGA got 6.5".  Best in NYC (outside of Staten Island) was 10.5" @ Astoria.

You hated a storm that dumped 8-10" of snow 5 days before christmas? I did hate the march storm though if that's the one in which you were referring

I kinda know what he's feeling, I did feel a bit annoyed at that storm for giving me *only* 10" when 30 miles away in Philly, there was almost 30".

I was talking about the 3/9/09 storm.....I eye balled 4-5"...6" at most...

I think the date was 3/2/09...my parents measured 10" in Dobbs Ferry though I was away in South America.

In the following winter, the 12/19/09 storm was largely a disappointment in Westchester. We only received 8" of dry, grainy snow while PHL and parts of LI had 20-30". Of course, we made up for it later with 13" on 2/10/10, 7" on 2/16/10, and 26" on 2/26/10...48" fell in February 2010 in Dobbs Ferry, a record total.

Both 08-09 and 09-10 were great winters for Westchester. 08-09 had 45" with a memorably cold January...I think we got down to 1F mid-month and I had -20F at college in Vermont. 09-10 had 68" in Dobbs with the blockbuster February after a decent December. A ton of monster storms that winter.

Nice pic, LI got slammed on that one. Got 18" here, missed the 20+" banding by a few miles.

One of the heaviest snowfall rates I have ever seen. Upton put out a special weather bulletin stating the band of snow over eastern Nassau and western and central Suffolk was producing 3-5" per hr and lightning and thunder (I did not see thundersnow at my location)

Archived