Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Conference Questionnaire for members

stormtracker

Conference!  

445 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a American Wx Conference?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
  2. 2. If you haven't attended a conference in the past, or stopped going, why?

• Conference fee is too high
    • Logistical (airfare, hotel) costs are too high
    • Just not interested
    • Don't like the format
    • Schedule commitments/conflicts
    • I've always attended
  3. 3. When should conferences be held?

• Yearly
    • Every other year
    • Every 4 years
    • not interested
  4. 4. What is the most important draw for you when it comes to conferences?

• Big name speakers
    • Interesting subject matter
    • Chance to meet other board members/socialize
    • not interested
  5. 5. What is the max fee that would allow you to participate in a conference?

• $40-55
    • $56-70
    • $71-100
    • $100-$130
    • I answered not interested
  6. 6. In Past conferences, there was a dinner on the last day. This dinner accounted for about 40% of the fee. Would you rather keep the dinner and pay the higher fee, or eliminate it to pay a lower fee?

• Keep it
    • Eliminate it
    • I answered not interested.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eleanor is in da house.   B)

By the way... 94 yes votes already!  Time to start plannin', Randyboy.   :D

94 votes is good, but I can tell you even if there was a conference, 50% of that number would probably show up.   The polls always look favorable and then when sign up time comes......

But, I like your enthusiam :)

94 votes is good, but I can tell you even if there was a conference, 50% of that number would probably show up.   The polls always look favorable and then when sign up time comes......

But, I like your enthusiam :)

It would always be awesome if so many can go, but even if the number is as low as 60-70...it's still worth it IMO.  Sure it leads to some higher costs but every single one of those people absolutely loves it.

I still don't think that question 2 covers the situation well.  I've attended 2 and would have gone to more except that I had conflicts and once I didn't want to spend the money to go to NE, but that's not a problem now.  Hope the '14 one doesn't get in the way of my Yellowstone trip!

The voting is yielding such interesting results. For those that voted "depends" I wonder what their thoughts are or what some of their reasons would be for going or not going. Judging by other totals, perhaps it's schedule conflict/commitment?

My answer would be "Depends", so here's why:

It's not that I am not interested in the conference or in meeting you guys, it's that I don't have the meteorology background to get much out of it, and heaven knows I can't keep up with the rest of you when you start analyzing things.  That's why you see me post more under Obs than Analysis!

That's why I haven't gone to similar events in the past (assuming they were not time conflicts or major travel).  The presentations would be waaaay over my head, and I'd be lost once the bar talk turned back to arcane details of meteorology and Monday-morning-quarterbacking the last big storm.

This means I'd be attending pretty much only for the social aspect, and the travel + lodging gets to be a bit steep just for a party!  I already have three other conventions I attend for shared hobby/loves (one of which I help run, but I still have to pay my own way), so my budget for "go to this convention for fun and not tax-deductible professional development" is already strained.

That having been said, if it were held in Atlanta, or near wherever I'm working at the time, I'd try to keep the calendar free to attend.  Or, at least attend the social gatherings.

It's not that I am not interested in the conference or in meeting you guys, it's that I don't have the meteorology background to get much out of it, and heaven knows I can't keep up with the rest of you when you start analyzing things.  That's why you see me post more under Obs than Analysis!

That's why I haven't gone to similar events in the past (assuming they were not time conflicts or major travel).  The presentations would be waaaay over my head, and I'd be lost once the bar talk turned back to arcane details of meteorology and Monday-morning-quarterbacking the last big storm.

This means I'd be attending pretty much only for the social aspect, and the travel + lodging gets to be a bit steep just for a party!  I already have three other conventions I attend for shared hobby/loves (one of which I help run, but I still have to pay my own way), so my budget for "go to this convention for fun and not tax-deductible professional development" is already strained.

That having been said, if it were held in Atlanta, or near wherever I'm working at the time, I'd try to keep the calendar free to attend.  Or, at least attend the social gatherings.

There are folks who attend the conference who also don't have much of a background in meteorology or a great understand so don't worry about that!  Also, you can choose to attend the talks, you don't necessarily have to.  If you really were able to make one, if you had the available time, money, etc, and you're thinking about it, you really should!  You would have an absolute blast and getting to know folks and socializing is incredible.  So don't worry if you're background isn't that strong at all!  :)

This is great feedback and what I was looking for!   Thank you!

To piggyback on what wiz said, there are plenty of people (many regulars) who are in your shoes! Yes, some of the presentations are a bit technical at times, but it's not high level PhD type of stuff.   There have been some presentations that have been specifically geared toward folks like you.

But I do understand your concerns and your apprehension about the financial aspects of it.

Thank you!

Why not somewhere like Atlantic City? They are hurting for business and $$, so it's likely a deal could be struck with one of the resorts for uber low room rates. Plus, easy to get charter buses with enough critical mass.

Plus, down time activities would be a bit more compelling than staring at the four walls of an airport hotel near BWI.

Why not somewhere like Atlantic City? They are hurting for business and $$, so it's likely a deal could be struck with one of the resorts for uber low room rates. Plus, easy to get charter buses with enough critical mass.

Plus, down time activities would be a bit more compelling than staring at the four walls of an airport hotel near BWI.

atlantic city would be awesome! we could have a nice conference and in between hit the slots, drinks etc. and have some fun. this would gear it more towards a glorified vacation with more of a "fun" feel to it as well to go along with the conference. I for one have never attended one and would love to attend it as weather is my hobby, like answered though my scheduling tends to be hectic

Trust me, Atlantic City has been considered..and more than once!   But it fails to meet the criteria we look for to host a conference....namely flight prices, frequency and convenience, public transportation and multiple transportation options (train and plane, direct and relative cheap service).

Also, during down times at BWI, no one really sits in their rooms and stares at the four walls of the hotel (although it is a pretty nice hotel to do that in).   Light rail is right there and goes directly into downtown Baltimore.  Amtrak station is there too, as well as public buses to DC.   But BWI is certainly not a lock to host any future conference. 

Not sure this even matters, but in the past, when I didn't attend, part of it was location alone. I guess that kinda works for "schedule conflicts". I am glad I attended in Baltimore the last time.

I would be happy as a bear if the conference came to Florida one year, if it gets going again. I'd probably be able to volunteer some time toward that. But understand if it has to stay in Baltimore for logistical/cost reasons. There is one word that would always entice people to a Florida conference: BEACH.

Not sure this even matters, but in the past, when I didn't attend, part of it was location alone. I guess that kinda works for "schedule conflicts". I am glad I attended in Baltimore the last time.

I would be happy as a bear if the conference came to Florida one year, if it gets going again. I'd probably be able to volunteer some time toward that. But understand if it has to stay in Baltimore for logistical/cost reasons. There is one word that would always entice people to a Florida conference: BEACH.

We have beaches here too

3 hour drive from Baltimore. $300/night. Not an attractive beach/area, unless you count Assateague, but I don't think folks want a camping oriented conference...hahaha.

I dont pay $300 a night and I can drive my truck right onto the beach in Delaware and have no issues at all. :)  Beaches are clean no hotels on the beach, wide open sand and ocean, its great

I dont pay $300 a night and I can drive my truck right onto the beach in Delaware and have no issues at all. :)  Beaches are clean no hotels on the beach, wide open sand and ocean, its great

Florida still better. Can be right on the beach (walking), cheaper, more to do. But again, I don't know if it would be feasible. It is just one option.

Florida is nice, but the reality is that the AmWx community is clustered primarily in the Mid-Atlantic and New England states.  Given this, it makes sense that the conference would be in a Northeast city-- i.e., Maryland and further N.

Yeah, agreed. If it was a more affluent group, I'm sure proximity wouldn't be an issue (though often surprised how many chasers, an equally fiscally limited group, makes it out to Denver each February). In many ways, like Florida, California, Las Vegas, and some other spots would be awesome. But I'd rather have something in Baltimore than nothing at all ;-)

Trust me, Atlantic City has been considered..and more than once!   But it fails to meet the criteria we look for to host a conference....namely flight prices, frequency and convenience, public transportation and multiple transportation options (train and plane, direct and relative cheap service).

Also, during down times at BWI, no one really sits in their rooms and stares at the four walls of the hotel (although it is a pretty nice hotel to do that in).   Light rail is right there and goes directly into downtown Baltimore.  Amtrak station is there too, as well as public buses to DC.   But BWI is certainly not a lock to host any future conference. 

when will we know when/where the next conference will be?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived