12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18/0/17/0.00

Tomorrow is modeled to be a very close analog to Saturday. That day was 18/3/16/0.00.

But you didn't analog the bias for that day so it won't be exactly 18/3/16, but I do like 3, just not 18 for the high. I used the 15th and 22nd for analogs for nam, gfs, and euro. Nam/euro combo suggested a low of 8 and gfs suggested a low of 3. Highs were in the range of 21-23. 

But you didn't analog the bias for that day so it won't be exactly 18/3/16, but I do like 3, just not 18 for the high. 

You can argue a higher max temp given the model biases and the fact that while 850s may be about the same as Saturday, the thicknesses are higher.

Here are the model biases on Saturday for the high:

MAV -8

MET -6

ECM -3

LAMP -8

Adjusting those based off of their forecasts:

MAV re-projection 21

MET re-projection 21

ECM re-projection 23

LAMP re-projection 23

You can argue a higher max temp given the model biases and the fact that while 850s may be about the same as Saturday, the thicknesses are higher.

Here are the model biases on Saturday for the high:

MAV -8

MET -6

ECM -3

LAMP -8

Adjusting those based off of their forecasts:

MAV re-projection 21

MET re-projection 21

ECM re-projection 23

LAMP re-projection 23

Exactly and I even went as far as to look at the cloud forecast for both my analog days and 22nd was very similar, so that's my reasoning for going 22F. 

Wanted to go with 20, but chicked out and went with 18/0/15/0. Not really expecting to have a great 1st day as that's typical of me for new city.

Can't wait to get these early non-major classes out of way so I can start learning more meteorology, lol.

20/-2/18/0

For the high, I agree it should be a tad warmer than Saturday. The 18z NAM showed the potential to mix to around 850mb (or very close) around peak heating, with 850mb temps of around -18C...which yields a surface temp of around -5C/23F. However, forecast soundings suggest just enough low level moisture and instability for a CU field to develop late morning into the afternoon...and the models showed a decent amount of moisture around 250mb, so I figured that there would be too many clouds for optimal mixing in that narrow window during the mid to late afternoon, and shaved a bit off of the 23. Went colder than Saturday for the low due to stronger CAA. For the winds we'll see...the models showed 25+ knots at the top of the shallow boundary layer late tonight, and show the potential to mix to 20 knots during the afternoon, so I was hoping they could get 18-20 knots. Not sure if that will work, but consensus is 17 knots so that won't kill me either way.

Clear skies and slackening winds have caused the temperature to drop 7F last hour. 3/-2 as of 11z. Can we muster a drop of a few more degrees?

Bust factor today comes down to the high. Since the consensus went 18, some of you could start off very strong with a showing in the lower 20s.

So, at least 23 today. It will be interesting to see how warm they can get tomorrow...the winds turn easterly and it will be cloudier than today, but they'll start much warmer than today, by at least 10 degrees. The NAM only shows the potential to mix to around 900mb for a brief time during the early afternoon with temps at that level around -4C. If they can get some sun in that timeframe I suppose it could get close to 40, but I'll have to debate if I want to go that warm.

36/9/22/0.02

Would have gone higher for the maximum tomorrow, if it was not for increasing cloud-cover. (This is still above all guidance that I saw except for the Euro) Could have gone higher with the low tonight, especially since the dew-point jumped to 10F at 0z with the temperature still at 24. Got a little hung up on the wind forecast...guidance is low except for the USL and with a fairly steep pressure gradient developing, leaned on the higher end. Went low on precip...most models clustered near just a couple hundredths of an inch, but the RGEM was up around 0.15". 

It should be a fun day with any parameter possibly busting in either direction. 

The algorithm that I could have used to get 23/2 for today  :arrowhead:  is spitting out 41/10 tomorrow  :axe: . Will keep the formula a secret, but it's heavily weighed upon recent model performance.

Archived