Newest Member
    e46ds1x
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

76/41/7/0

Winds here are 08z-08z.

Edit because mobile posting is so jumpy-posted prematurely.

Why are there so many discrepancies with how different NWS offices compile climo reports? We recently looked at climate reports for two different NWS offices covering Connecticut...one of them used 6z-6z, while other used 12a-12a local time.

In the WxChallenge it's not clear, unless I'm missing something. (since the standard seems to vary from NWS office to office)

Had to forecast a few hours early due to work and went 75/45/11

Am thinking a degree or two cooler than today with some clouds and cooler air aloft. For the low, am hoping clouds keep them from bottoming out. For winds, it looks like they may be able to mix down 10 or so knots 18-21z if they indeed get into the low to mid 70's, and with the winds funneling down the valley figured I'd go high...hopefully not too high.

Edit because mobile posting is so jumpy-posted prematurely.

Why are there so many discrepancies with how different NWS offices compile climo reports? We recently looked at climate reports for two different NWS offices covering Connecticut...one of them used 6z-6z, while other used 12a-12a local time.

In the WxChallenge it's not clear, unless I'm missing something. (since the standard seems to vary from NWS office to office)

As far as I know, it's always 12AM to 12AM Local Standard Time for the main ASOS stations. Can you point me to a location that's different?

As far as I know, it's always 12AM to 12AM Local Standard Time for the main ASOS stations. Can you point me to a location that's different?

Just checked KBDR out of Connecticut.

Yesterday morning at 12:17 a.m. EDT they were 33F. At 12:49 a.m. they had a wind gust to 45 mph.

Daily climo report says the high was 29F with a peak wind gust of 43 mph. The peak RH was at 1:00 a.m., so maybe they run from 5z to 5z.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/sites/obhistory.php?station=BDR&network=CT_ASOS&year=2014&month=3&day=13

http://kamala.cod.edu/ct/latest.cdus41.BDR.KOKX.html

Edit: This verifies what you said as EST is one hour before EDT.

What's confusing (to me perhaps) is that the neighboring NWS office (BOX) covering KBDL must be *referencing* EST in their climo report, because they list the BDL high yesterday at 12:11 a.m., but using EDT, their temperature at 12:18 a.m. was 35.

Perhaps what was throwing me off was either a misinterpretation of time on my end (EDT vs. EST) or a lack of consistency between WFO's with *referencing* EST year-round.

I'm perfect for today assuming everything holds from now to 6z. Of course temperature could go to 77 or 78 and I'll bet climo will show higher winds around 6-8 knots

EDIT: Day 4 had maxed out at 77 and winds are picking up too. Should be at least 7 knots now based on last two hours.

Well, I'm one of three still above national consensus at UNC Asheville with a score of -0.33. My professor is the only other one to do so (with whooping -3.60) while forecasting for all days as the 3rd guy above national consensus guidanced twice and still got score of  -0.98 even with 5 pt penalty O_o 

What's really killing me is the wind with this town.  :cry: 

I feel like I missed out on the low for this city, but Day 4 low made it up for it some.

How long does it take to do a climo report. Did they all get the day off or something? Lol

I've noticed it usually takes until early afternoon. I tweeted the manager yesterday (around lunchtime) about the Day 3 wind and it was still a few hours before it was changed.

72/46/21/0.00

The low temperatures tonight are tricky. Winds are expected to stay near 10kt or so, but with dews in the 20s and colder air advecting in aloft, there is a possibility that they could tumble quickly if winds back off.

For the winds tomorrow, I was tempted to go higher, but based on near-term trends in comparison to current model guidance, I went with a more conservative 21kt forecast.

Archived