• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
WxChallenge 2013-14

41/8/22/0. Seems like northerly winds funnel at this place but I had no clue what to put so I went in the middle of what I think the lowest and highest possible would be. For the high I calculated 37.7F at 19z and then from 21z to 23z the air was traveling from the southeastern tip of Nebraska with little to no change in parcel height change and the highs today in that general region reached 40-44 today. I feel fairly confident we see 40F tomorrow.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

41/15/17/ Trace (0)

NAM overdoing the rad cooling tonight.. Clouds moving in late. Went a high high, could be anywhere from 37-42. Precip possible but it's so light I think it would be Trace for 2 or three hours.

Good luck with that 15 you'll need it. I don't see anyway its higher than 10F for a low. 

Went 38/13/20/0.03"

Was debating the high. The GFS was much cooler in the boundary layer than the NAM and Euro, but it was pretty wrong today with boundary layer temperatures. All three models suggest that it's possible to mix to near 900mb tomorrow, and the Euro and NAM both had around -4 to -5C at that level, which yields a surface temp of near 40 if they can effectively mix. However, due to a good breeze and questions about how much sun they'll get (I think they'll have a window to get some late morning/early afternoon) I didn't go quite that warm. The raw Euro appeared to be near 37-38F so there is some model support. I just don't see a sharp drop tonight with winds likely picking up after 6z and with clouds around before then...I think they may struggle to get even below 15, but I didn't want to get burned really badly if I'm wrong so I went with 13. The GFS shows 20-22 knot winds at the top of the boundary layer tomorrow evening in CAA, so I really hope they can actually get some wind tomorrow. I actually think they have a good shot at getting measurable precip tomorrow evening with a pretty saturated atmosphere and a bit of upper level lift during the evening. Some models spit out about nothing, while a couple models were close to around 0.10" of QPF...given there's a good chance any precip is a wind blown light snow I'm not sure how much the gauge would actually catch so only went 0.03", so it can't hurt me more than about a point either way.

You're wrong.

44/14/24/0

Just like that 6F hehe. I'll assume 4F bias on the Mallow model :P so 10F it shall be.

Edit: And 44F, pretty crazy since HYSPLIT had 24.6F for today, so IT WAS RIGHT! And for tomorrow I calculated 37.7F at 19z and from 21z to 23z air was from southeast Nebraska where Lincoln, NE got to 43F with the area generally being anywhere from 40F to 44F, but I'll trust the ASOS.

Just like that 6F hehe. I'll assume 4F bias on the Mallow model :P so 10F it shall be.

Edit: And 44F, pretty crazy since HYSPLIT had 24.6F for today, so IT WAS RIGHT! And for tomorrow I calculated 37.7F at 19z and from 21z to 23z air was from southeast Nebraska where Lincoln, NE got to 43F with the area generally being anywhere from 40F to 44F, but I'll trust the ASOS.

We shall see.

Man, I really don't see the winds getting that high. Are you expecting that to happen just before 06z tomorrow night? 

39/10/17/0

Least confidence on the wind, actually. But I think they have a couple opportunities... near sunrise, during the afternoon, or near the end of the period.

Observations look pretty good for above national consensus of 8 degrees if the trend of last few nights hold. Maybe above 10 degrees, even.

Assuming models are right and the southerlies really kick in between 06z and 09z and the clouds really thicken up, it's not going to cool after that anyway. So we only have another 3-6 hours of potential cooling. At the current rate of 1°F per hour, that would argue for 12°F-15°F.

EDIT: Of course, it drops to 14°F this hour. ;)

Still, I think this is supposed to be about the coldest part of the night.

Assuming models are right and the southerlies really kick in between 06z and 09z and the clouds really thicken up, it's not going to cool after that anyway. So we only have another 3-6 hours of potential cooling. At the current rate of 1°F per hour, that would argue for 12°F-15°F.

EDIT: Of course, it drops to 14°F this hour. ;)

Still, I think this is supposed to be about the coldest part of the night.

Well, back up to 15F at 5z. There is still a little bit more time to drop a few more degrees, but winds and clouds should make that hard to do soon. I like the 12-15F range for post 6z low myself :P

17z ob was 28/15, which lines up with the 1hr projection from the 16z LAMP. LAMP says the temperature touches 34 at 22 and 23z. Mid-30s looks like the most likely scenario at this time. Hopefully it doesn't get stuck lower, otherwise most of us on this forum will lose a lot of ground today.

Up to 30 now. The 17z LAMP now gets to 35 at 22 and 23z. 36 wouldn't kill me by any stretch and I'd still easily end up above consensus after 2 days, however warmer would still be better. We'll see. 36 or 37 seems like a reasonable ceiling at this point barring a miracle.

They've held steady at 37 for two hours now. I'm guessing 37 or 38 will be the high. Winds will be pretty weak for the next several hours...I was banking on the winds shifting north and ramping up right before midnight LST (which happens to be 6z by my math), so there's still some time, it'll be close. Some returns developing over northern ND on radar, although I can't find anyone reporting precip yet. It'll be a good day for me regardless based on temps alone, although if the winds at least can cooperate it'd be nice.

Archived