Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going */*/* for tomorrow. I'm hoping the winds ramp up tomorrow early on in case we miss out on the winds picking up right before 6z. Could be even breezier really tomorrow afternoon than the 25 I have. I might make a change on the 0th hour before the forecast is due. Do I feel it?

Generally, it's probably better not to share your forecast 'til after the submission time. :P

Just bumped my high down after seeing they fell to 31 already:

27/12/26/0

I noticed that too and nudged my high down a degree for the same reason.

27/12/25/0.00

Not so sure temperatures fall fast enough tomorrow night to get into the single digits by 6z.

Went 30/14/26/0

Was debating the high...I think it will be an afternoon high. Air over Canada doesn't look terribly cold and 850mb temps only fall about 3C during the day, so as they clear during the morning and into the afternoon they should be able to warm some (I think they get to near 20 by morning). If they effectively mix to around 900mb they can get to near freezing. I tried HYSPLIT, had no idea if I was doing it right, but also got temps in the lower 30's. Was skeptical it would warm that much so just went 30. Winds should stay up until around 6z so didn't expect a big drop during the evening, but there's some bust potential there I think.

Went 30/14/26/0

Was debating the high...I think it will be an afternoon high. Air over Canada doesn't look terribly cold and 850mb temps only fall about 3C during the day, so as they clear during the morning and into the afternoon they should be able to warm some (I think they get to near 20 by morning). If they effectively mix to around 900mb they can get to near freezing. I tried HYSPLIT, had no idea if I was doing it right, but also got temps in the lower 30's. Was skeptical it would warm that much so just went 30. Winds should stay up until around 6z so didn't expect a big drop during the evening, but there's some bust potential there I think.

Apparently clouds do make a difference in whether the calculation works. For example, day 1, I calculated 24.6F and it verified 25F. For today, 37.7 at 19z was only 34 and about 42 from the 21z to 23z period where the max only got up to 37. So clouds do make a difference. 

Let's see if that band of light snow on radar results in any measurable precip over the next few hours...

KDVL is down to 1 mile visibility and K5H4 is down to 3/4 of a mile...so if that can actually make it into GFK I'd say it's possible.

Apparently clouds do make a difference in whether the calculation works. For example, day 1, I calculated 24.6F and it verified 25F. For today, 37.7 at 19z was only 34 and about 42 from the 21z to 23z period where the max only got up to 37. So clouds do make a difference. 

Yeah, that makes sense. It looks like tomorrow ceilings will be SCT at worst by late morning into the early afternoon, kind of like day 1, so hopefully there aren't too many clouds. I initially had 32 but chickened out to 30. So we'll see.

Precip will be a complete dud it looks like. If I would've put 0" in would've had the least daily points today in the country. Winds up to 14 knots...not sure if they can squeeze in 20 knots during the next hour, but it's possible I guess as models showed the winds picking up right around 6z. I'll be 40th at worst after day 2, 27th at best if the winds somehow work out.

Archived