joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

38/24/16/0.00

Leaned toward the higher max numbers given the overall model performance over the past few weeks. Hopefully skies clear out fast enough. USL has had a seemingly high wind bias for this location too, so I took a blend between the lower MOS and higher USL. 

Climo for today:
35/21/10/0.12

37/21/18

The air mass will be a bit cooler than today with a north wind but with full sun and a slightly warmer start I think they'll at least be a couple degrees warmer than today. I was surprised models didn't cool quicker tomorrow evening with winds staying very light until just after 6z and clear skies so I went for a 6z low tomorrow evening of 21. Winds at the top of the boundary layer per the 12z NAM and Euro looked to be 20-25 knots later tonight so I'm hoping they can get to 18 at some point. I'll be a wild card in the tourney so I will be forecasting next week.

I hate moisture trapped beneath an inversion. So, I doubt they do any better than BKN today, will probably top out at 33, and probably won't fall below their morning low of 26 this evening.

Pretty much one knot of wind decide whether I'll finish 2nd or 3rd now... 18 knots will knock me down to 3rd.

Pretty much one knot of wind decide whether I'll finish 2nd or 3rd now... 18 knots will knock me down to 3rd.

Well do you want the good news or bad news? Temp is 36 right now on a SPECI but peak winds were 19 knots.

Edit: thought I saw 2C on the METAR but the high will be 35.

Well do you want the good news or bad news? Temp is 36 right now on a SPECI but peak winds were 19 knots.

Edit: thought I saw 2C on the METAR but the high will be 35.

Yeah, a friend texted me that winds were 19 knots although WxChallenge haven't update that yet. I'll be fine if temps get below 23 somehow before 6z. Like Brewers said, calm wind at 0z is a good start.

EDIT: KGFK going from 28 to 23 at 5z got me finishing in 1st place among Category 4 for the city. Nice to win a trophy my freshman year and hopefully some of you also did well on this big drop.

Yeah, a friend texted me that winds were 19 knots although WxChallenge haven't update that yet. I'll be fine if temps get below 23 somehow before 6z. Like Brewers said, calm wind at 0z is a good start.

EDIT: KGFK going from 28 to 23 at 5z got me finishing in 1st place among Category 4 for the city. Nice to win a trophy my freshman year and hopefully some of you also did well on this big drop.

Congrats! 35/22/19/0 final numbers for day 8 it appears.

For GFK, a story of two weeks for me. Had a great first week, and a not so good second week. It was days 5 and 6 that killed me, I made some ground back up days 7 and 8. Will finish the city at 45th with a standardized score of -2.01, but will have the best score for the city at Ohio U by 17.9 points. We didn't seem to like GFK at OU, it even got under my skin this week a bit.

There is still the chance for me to make the tourny depending on how well I do next week, but I probably won't win any trophies this year. I had a few pretty good cities, three cities that I hated (CON, Norman and RDD), and a few other cities where I did "okay" but couldn't get over the hump so to speak (HOU, AFA). Next year I think I'll do decently...looking back, I really don't feel like I had half a clue what I was doing until we hit GRR...after that I was half decent. Anyways, best of luck to anyone who will be forecasting from here on out in Springfield!

Welp, 2nd straight city where 1 degree meant the difference between 2nd and 3rd. Even though I couldn't get an individual city trophy, I will get one for finishing 3rd overall in Cat 3 for the year. Good luck to everyone in the tourney, after dealing with GFK I look forward to my week off!

Turn out the drop to 22 got another UNCA forecaster into 2nd for a Cat 4 trophy. As for myself, this year have been tales of two halves. First half, I really struggled and didn't break the consensus in any of the first 5 cities. I was trying to figure out how I can forecast better and which tools I use. Then my success for Atlanta to start 2nd semester changed everything. I went on a hot streak from there, usually staying above consensus most of the times. I went from 700th place overall to 208th for the year and I ended up finishing the regular season at score of -0.22 which is good enough to land me #4 forecaster out of 25 at UNCA. Hopefully I can get my hot streak going into wild card week and get into the main tournament, but I'm happy with the year already :) I think I can do real damage next year when I'm the sophomore..

Finished the last day with only 1.5 points of error, which was nice. If only day 7 hadn't been such a disaster for me, things could have ended a whole lot better.

But in the end, I finished 30th overall among people who have participated the whole year. Not as well as I did last year, but I'll take it!

Archived