• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Severe Wx & Flood Threat Through Tuesday

weatherwiz

I really don't know. Pros and cons for today. I still favor ern CT and RI/SE MA for anything good.

A weak wave like that could actually help slow down the eastward progression of the front and it could also strengthen low-level helicity values as well...just something else to keep an eye on I guess.  

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The front itself is probably back further west based on surface observations and satellite imagery, but there does appear to be a low in the vicinity of extreme western LI Sound. Winds NNE at BDR and NW at HPN. You head back into eastern PA and some of the dews haven't mixed out yet, still seeing 67's, but winds have shifted west.

post-533-0-87106900-1378209938_thumb.gif

I'll be shocked I think if we don't see a slight risk for parts of the area with the 13z update for hail and wind given the trends over the past few hours.  The RAP/HRRR have been slightly increasing instability with each run and even with helicity as well.  If we can muster 1500-2000 J/KG of MLcape I think we could see a few hailers today at least up to 1.5''

I'll be shocked I think if we don't see a slight risk for parts of the area with the 13z update for hail and wind given the trends over the past few hours.  The RAP/HRRR have been slightly increasing instability with each run and even with helicity as well.  If we can muster 1500-2000 J/KG of MLcape I think we could see a few hailers today at least up to 1.5''

Who knows with SPC. Maybe a See Text, but it will be interesting once the 12z soundings come out. Looks like I'll be heading east today...

Yeah it is...would just be nice to get an actual representation, especially of the mid-levels and such but I guess it's no biggie. 

I just hope I'm not too far west for anything.  

You might be on the line. Take those ML CAPES on the SPC site and advect that northeast. That might be the region of activity.

It would be nice of that s/w really would dig more to get good height falls. We get a glancing blow from that. But, it is unstable and it may be enough if we can get those 6.5-7C/KM rates in here. Like I said..pros and cons. I bet some people get a good storm today.

You might be on the line. Take those ML CAPES on the SPC site and advect that northeast. That might be the region of activity.

It would be nice of that s/w really would dig more to get good height falls. We get a glancing blow from that. But, it is unstable and it may be enough if we can get those 6.5-7C/KM rates in here. Like I said..pros and cons. I bet some people get a good storm today.

I think we see a few pretty solid storms as well.  I'm just hoping we can clear more of this junk out of here b/c if we can get stronger sun we will destabilize very raidly given steepening lapse rates.  I'm also hoping dews here will shoot back up into the upper 60's

Hello to all..

..Isolated to Scattered Strong to Severe Thunderstorms possible to likely today across much of Southern New England. Strong to Damaging Winds, Hail and the potential for flash flooding are the main threats..
..The Timeframe appears to be as early midday today through early evening in locations along and east of the Connecticut River Valley as a strong cold front brings an end to the heat and humidity across the region..
..SKYWARN Activation with Ops at NWS Taunton are likely starting around Noon to 1 PM lasting through early evening..

Another significant flash flood episode affected portions of Southern New England Monday with the hardest hit area being parts of Rhode Island that were impacted significantly on Sunday. The Local Storm Report on flood information and spotter reports are listed below:

NWS Taunton Local Storm Report:
http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KBOX/1309022206.nwus51.html

NWS Taunton Public Information Statement:
http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KBOX/1309022206.nous41.html

At 850 AM, Satellite imagery shows considerable sunshine across much of interior Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Northern Connecticut with cloud cover in Eastern New York likely associated with the cold front. If heating for destabilization continues across the region with thunderstorm activity occurring along or ahead of the cloud cover in Eastern New York, sufficient wind shear profiles coupled with the unstable atmosphere will set the stage for isolated to scattered strong to severe thunderstorms across the area with the potential for strong to damaging winds, hail and the potential for flash flooding. Unlike the last couple of days, thunderstorms should be moving more quickly over the area so the flash flood threat will not be quite as high as past days but if areas that have been hard hit over the last couple days get hit with thunderstorms and heavy rainfall, they may flood more quickly because of the past rainfall.

SKYWARN Activation with Ops at NWS Taunton are likely starting around Noon to 1 PM lasting through early evening. This will be the only complete coordination message on today's threat. A shortened coordination message will be issued if time allows an Ops at NWS Taunton are initiated. Below is the NWS Taunton Hazardous Weather Outlook:

NWS Taunton Hazardous Weather Outlook:
http://kamala.cod.edu/ma/latest.flus41.KBOX.html

Respectfully Submitted,

Robert Macedo (KD1CY)
ARES SKYWARN Coordinato

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
909 AM EDT TUE SEP 3 2013

CTZ004-MAZ005>007-012>024-RIZ001>008-031615-
WINDHAM CT-CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA-
SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-
SUFFOLK MA-EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-
WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-SOUTHERN BRISTOL MA-
SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH MA-BARNSTABLE MA-DUKES MA-NANTUCKET MA-
NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-
EASTERN KENT RI-BRISTOL RI-WASHINGTON RI-NEWPORT RI-
BLOCK ISLAND RI-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PUTNAM...WILLIMANTIC...FRAMINGHAM...
LOWELL...LAWRENCE...GLOUCESTER...MILFORD...WORCESTER...FOXBORO...
NORWOOD...CAMBRIDGE...BOSTON...QUINCY...TAUNTON...BROCKTON...
PLYMOUTH...FALL RIVER...NEW BEDFORD...MATTAPOISETT...CHATHAM...
FALMOUTH...PROVINCETOWN...VINEYARD HAVEN...NANTUCKET...FOSTER...
SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE...WEST GREENWICH...WARWICK...BRISTOL...
NARRAGANSETT...WESTERLY...NEWPORT...BLOCK ISLAND
909 AM EDT TUE SEP 3 2013

Strong to severe storms will be possible today...

thunderstorms will develop across eastern and southeastern
portions of southern new england towards midday and into the
afternoon hours. some of these storms may be strong to severe with
the threat of frequent lightning, damaging winds, large
hail, and heavy rain.

with heavy rain, there is the additional threat of flash flooding
as much of the region has seen around 2 inches of rainfall in the
last 48 hours, with a few locations around 4 to 7 inches,
especially in the southwest boston metro area and central rhode
island.

12z NAM/13z HRRR continues to like extreme NE CT into much of eastern Mass. NAM wasn't initializing well with the morning activity though, but both models bank on clearing/destabilization helping areas from ORH eastward. FIT was 78 at 10 and Logan already at 80 as of that time! Eastern Mass. special?

Archived