Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2013 General Discussion

daddylonglegs

Cyclone-

My brother just got back from the Montrose area (Elk Hunting).   They were out there when the flooding happened, but didn't have many issues where they were located.   The cabin they stayed at was a little over 9000ft.  My brother had never been out there before...thought it was neat, but the car ride sucked and he got kidney stones on the way home and spent a weekend in the hospital back here (he only has 1 kidney!). 

Another Colorado story.  About a week ago some relation of mine (through marriage) drove out to Colorado Elk hunting (full size truck/by himself) and was suppose to meet a guide.  The dude never showed up/couldn't get ahold of him.  Drove back to a city (he was out im the middle of nowhere) to get a better signal.  Got a hold of this dude the next day who had a fall out with his girlfriend and decided not to show up...  so this guy i know turned around and drove home (from La Crosse)!  An Elk tag in CO is over $500 and the gas (2000 miles) for his truck/wasted time...worst trip ever?

Looks like south winds all week.  I really hope the ragweed doesn't come back.   I'm finally breathing again with all this cool air.  Just an occasional sneeze here and there.

Packers look terrible this year.  Vikings are horrible. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cyclone-

My brother just got back from the Montrose area (Elk Hunting).   They were out there when the flooding happened, but didn't have many issues where they were located.   The cabin they stayed at was a little over 9000ft.  My brother had never been out there before...thought it was neat, but the car ride sucked and he got kidney stones on the way home and spent a weekend in the hospital back here (he only has 1 kidney!). 

Another Colorado story.  About a week ago some relation of mine (through marriage) drove out to Colorado Elk hunting (full size truck/by himself) and was suppose to meet a guide.  The dude never showed up/couldn't get ahold of him.  Drove back to a city (he was out im the middle of nowhere) to get a better signal.  Got a hold of this dude the next day who had a fall out with his girlfriend and decided not to show up...  so this guy i know turned around and drove home (from La Crosse)!  An Elk tag in CO is over $500 and the gas (2000 miles) for his truck/wasted time...worst trip ever?

Looks like south winds all week.  I really hope the ragweed doesn't come back.   I'm finally breathing again with all this cool air.  Just an occasional sneeze here and there.

Packers look terrible this year.  Vikings are horrible. 

I'd sue the guide.

The Packers aren't that bad, but it sure helps my Bears that they lost yesterday. Much too early to "pack" it in.

A beautiful, sunny 66° here.  Can't ask for any better weather (unless it's a blizzard or severe lol).

nice to see the clouds on that side of the lake for a change.

Haha. clearing out now. Onshore flow will keep it cool today. 

Allergies were awful this weekend. Probably the North and Northwest winds.

For me Saturday night was the worst. They usually act up in the evening more.

Looks like low 60s again today.

sitting at 56 currently, my high was 58 today with full sun.  another frost advisory issued for tonight...4 frost and 1 freeze adv so far this season.  finally had to turn on the heat the past couple days. i'm looking forward to a nice warm stretch of weather.

Since you've had 5 advisories for freezing conditions, wouldn't APX discontinue the advisories for the season?

I just went back and checked... this is the 4th.... I wasn't sure the criteria for discontinuing them, it is 5?

No, when most of a cwa has had a frost they stop issuing statements/advisories. Growing season is over for perennials by now up there.

The late weekend system sure looks different on the GFS than it does on the Euro. The GFS looks more progressive, with zonal flow, which results in a continuance of nice autumn weather early next week. The Euro appears more amplified, forming a cutoff over our area, resulting in cool, cloudy and possibly damp early week.

Area forecasters are discounting the Euro, but it's getting to be that time of year to not rule out the King.

Looks boring and mild.

Nevermind, I was looking at some of the ensembles, I thought the OP showed a dip into the 0 to -5C range, but alas, it was just a few of the ensembles.  I still wouldn't doubt a change to a colder regime, the last month has been relatively predictable, a gradual 5-6 day warmup, then a sharp cold front, rinse, repeat.  Time for a change.

Watch the snow build up in Russia and get ready for some real winter cold...

Naefs continues to show "avg" in the longer range...which is upper 60Fs or so during that time period? 

At least around here, long range is probably more like 60-65°. 

September down to only +2.0° now here.

Nevermind, I was looking at some of the ensembles, I thought the OP showed a dip into the 0 to -5C range, but alas, it was just a few of the ensembles.  I still wouldn't doubt a change to a colder regime, the last month has been relatively predictable, a gradual 5-6 day warmup, then a sharp cold front, rinse, repeat.  Time for a change.

The weather has been about as good as it gets.  I hope this continues all fall.  This is about the only time of year that I enjoy boring weather so I want any pattern change to hold off for a month or so. 

High 61° today. Under performer.

Pretty cool satellite shots MKX posted of last night's clouds/fog.

092213-loop.gif

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=mkx&storyid=97260&source=0

Wow those are some very cool images.  I would love to see that technology advance to include sats even higher sensitivity to light from even lower light setups, ie when the moon isn't full.  Even though the amount of light coming in from the stars is comparably less than the moon, I wonder if that could be significantly amplified by super sensitive lenses or something.  Maybe even combining something like that with a several minute exposure that would capture more reflective light.  That could make for a somewhat blurry look to some of the cloud fields, due to movement of the clouds within even a short exposure.  That would still prove far more valuable to just relying on IR imagery at night. 

Wow those are some very cool images.  I would love to see that technology advance to include sats even higher sensitivity to light from even lower light setups, ie when the moon isn't full.  Even though the amount of light coming in from the stars is comparably less than the moon, I wonder if that could be significantly amplified by super sensitive lenses or something.  Maybe even combining something like that with a several minute exposure that would capture more reflective light.  That could make for a somewhat blurry look to some of the cloud fields, due to movement of the clouds within even a short exposure.  That would still prove far more valuable to just relying on IR imagery at night. 

Definitely. I would think the clouds would get blurred if exposed several minutes. I didn't even know such satellite imagery was out there until I saw this. I would pretty much guarantee that there is more light coming from the surface on a moonless night than what the stars put out. Of course there is always the zodiacal light too, but that is pretty faint too.

Big span in temperatures this evening between the lake and 10 miles inland. 

Lakeshore low 60s, here 4 miles inland 53°, and 49° about 10 miles inland.

The weather has been about as good as it gets.  I hope this continues all fall.  This is about the only time of year that I enjoy boring weather so I want any pattern change to hold off for a month or so. 

It has been a good September, but the pattern seems a bit redundant.  The roller coaster end to August and very beginning of September was quite interesting, though.  A few lake breeze fronts, fronts passing through every other day it seemed like.

Some exciting news (maybe?):

At Valpo, we have an LDM that gets RGEM and UKMET data in Gempak form.  Over the course of the Fall I'll be writing some scripts and posting GLOV-centered maps to my space on the Valpo server (profs said this was fine).

In short: free UKMET at 6-hour intervals!

Archived