joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southern/Central Plains Obs and Short Term Discussions

OKpowdah

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dust storm warning here now. Phone just went off.

Kinda thought about AMA stuff as our reason to leave. Models had things up there in the evening. Plus we have to get north for tomorrow

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 645 PM CDT FOR CENTRALFISHER COUNTY...AT 609 PM CDT... THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THE STORM WAS LOCATEDNEAR ROTAN...OR 20 MILES WEST OF HAMLIN...MOVING SOUTH AT 10 MPH. ATORNADO WAS REPORTED IN ROTAN AT 608 PM.

screenshot20130523at421.png

Effective STP up to 5, 0-3 km EHI up to 9, 4000-4500 J/kg SBCAPE, 200-400 m2/s2 ESRH, etc.

Andy, aren't these similar parameters to the Cape/EHI you posted for Moore?

Edit: someone posted a post Moore screen cap for the EHI at the time of the tornado - thinking it was you that posted it.

Andy, aren't these similar parameters to the Cape/EHI you posted for Moore?

Edit: someone posted a post Moore screen cap for the EHI at the time of the tornado - thinking it was you that posted it.

....yeah except there are no storms to utilize it now...

This was conditional on those storms that fired NW of Amarillo being able to move into said environment, which didn't happen. Plus, I'm pretty sure we didn't have 60-70 kts of effective bulk shear to aid in storm organization (at the time, the jet streak has moved a bit closer now), the parameters that I listed there would only matter if we had mature/intensifying supercells moving into them.

That area is now capped.

Are the jagged clouds north of the Amarillo convection gravity waves? (this is in reference to the picture above, not current obs)

Think they are stable air roll clouds.

....yeah except there are no storms to utilize it now...

This was conditional on those storms that fired NW of Amarillo being able to move into said environment, which didn't happen. Plus, I'm pretty sure we didn't have 60-70 kts of effective bulk shear to aid in storm organization (at the time, the jet streak has moved a bit closer now), the parameters that I listed there would only matter if we had mature/intensifying supercells moving into them.

That area is now capped.

It would've been hard to get anything going in that area anyway given that the southern storms started stealing all the inflow about 30 min into initiation. Storms just fired too early today.

The NAM seemed to not like the PH itself starting yesterday or so. Remember pondering staying in Lubbock but we wanted to hit the Big Tex. Given a building ridge and meager mid lvl flow seems maybe SPC was too bullish on the tor probs at least.

here's our pseudo tornado from today. not really sure what it was.. think it was reported by someone tho as one report came right after we saw it.  to me it looks kinda like dust getting sucked up into an updraft or something.

post-1615-0-19456100-1369367978_thumb.jp

tomorrow afternoon/evening

At the Colorado/Kansas border, the NAM has about 2100 J/kg of CAPE, 90 m2/s2 helicity, and 30 knots shear (maybe only 25 knots at 500mb). The mid-level and upper level winds are just 20-30 knots at 500mb and 400mb In fact the GFS shows 50 knot winds only at 200mb.  I think we will have a few supercells in the area, with perhaps junky or weak supercell characteristics, with a hail/wind threat, not really a long-track tornado threat, for sure. The NAM and GFS seem to have some QPF in the border area (also, Colorado/Nebraska border), so I think a reasonable amount of storms will happen in the area.

Ian, that's definitely a tornado. It's dusty and ragged, but prolly a nice cone inside. Funny tail on the ground is just dust getting sucked in, perhaps not at the right angle the picture might imply, maybe inflow. Assume rain to the right and barber pole above on wider view. Scud right (in pic) is fine. Yeah, book your tornado. Nice catch!

And that other Twitter pic is incredible!

Noticed the latest D2 mentioned strong tornadoes for tomorrow.

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK     NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1159 AM CDT SAT MAY 25 2013   VALID 261200Z - 271200Z   ...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL   PLAINS...   ...PLAINS...   WEAK HEIGHT FALLS ARE EXPECTED TO SPREAD INTO THE NRN HIGH PLAINS   LATE IN THE PERIOD AS A WEAK SHORT-WAVE TROUGH EJECTS ACROSS THE NRN   ROCKIES TO A POSITION FROM WRN MT INTO NWRN WY AT 27/12Z.  THIS   FEATURE WILL UNDOUBTEDLY ENHANCE THE WWD MOVEMENT OF BOUNDARY LAYER   MOISTURE ACROSS THE NRN HIGH PLAINS TOWARD SCNTRL MT AS ELY LOW   LEVEL COMPONENT...AT LEAST 1KM DEEP...FORCES LOWER 50S SFC DEW   POINTS TOWARD BIL.  WHILE LARGE SCALE ASCENT WITH SHORT-WAVE WILL   LAG PEAK HEATING...IT APPEARS CONVECTION SHOULD EVOLVE OFF THE NRN   ABSAROKA RANGE...AND NRN BIG HORN MOUNTAINS.  THIS ACTIVITY SHOULD   THEN EVOLVE AND SPREAD TOWARD SERN MT/EXTREME NERN WY WHERE SHEAR   PROFILES WILL FAVOR SUPERCELLS.  LARGE HAIL AND ISOLATED TORNADOES   CAN BE EXPECTED WITH THIS ACTIVITY.  IF SUFFICIENT INSTABILITY   DEVELOPS ACROSS THIS REGION THERE IS CONCERN FOR VERY LARGE HAIL AND   POSSIBLY A STRONG TORNADO.  23Z FORECAST SOUNDING AT 4BQ SUPPORTS   THIS POSSIBILITY AS IT DEPICTS A VERY FAVORABLE PROFILE FOR STRONG   ROTATING UPDRAFTS WITH SBCAPE IN EXCESS OF 2500 J/KG.   FARTHER SOUTH ACROSS THE CNTRL PLAINS...IT/S NOT PARTICULARLY CLEAR   IF A DISTURBANCE WILL EJECT ACROSS CO DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS BUT   FORECAST HEIGHT FIELDS ARE SUPPRESSED SOMEWHAT ACROSS THIS REGION   INTO THE EVENING HOURS SUGGESTING THE POSSIBILITY.    ADDITIONALLY...LLJ IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE MARKEDLY ACROSS KS BY   27/00Z WHICH SUGGESTS A WEAK FEATURE MAY BE FLATTENING THE RIDGE   ACROSS THIS REGION.  WITH BACKING FLOW EXPECTED ACROSS NEB IT   APPEARS E-W SFC BOUNDARY SHOULD ESTABLISH ITSELF JUST NORTH OF I-70   AND THIS WILL PROVE FAVORABLE FOR ROBUST CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT   DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON/EVENING HOURS...ESPECIALLY AS LLJ IMPINGES   ON THE BOUNDARY.  STRONG HEATING ACROSS WRN KS WILL LIKELY   CONTRIBUTE TO INITIAL TSTM DEVELOPMENT AND DEEP LAYER SHEAR SEEMS   ADEQUATE FOR MAINTENANCE OF SLOW MOVING SUPERCELLS AND   STRONG/ORGANIZED MULTI-CELL CLUSTERS.   ROUGHLY 20KT OF 500MB FLOW WILL ALSO EXTEND SWD ALONG THE DRYLINE   ACROSS WEST TX.  IT APPEARS DIURNAL HEATING WILL BREAK THE CAP   ACROSS THIS REGION WHERE SBCAPE SHOULD BE AOA 3000 J/KG.  AT THIS   TIME WILL MAINTAIN 5 PERCENT SEVERE PROBS FOR HAIL/WIND ALONG THE   SRN DRYLINE BUT THERE IS CONCERN PROBABILITIES MAY NEED TO BE   INCREASED TO ACCOUNT FOR SCT ORGANIZED MULTI-CELL CLUSTERS.   ..DARROW.. 05/25/2013

SD is just silly at putting on amazing shows, be it structure or unexpected tornadoes, on such a regular basis this time of year. Wish I could just live in RAP for the next month.

Could be the best chasing in the high plains with the scenery and the magical convection that tends to form along/due to the Black Hills. NW flow over the hills can be wickedly deceiving. I love that area.

Archived