joxey
Southern/Central Plains Obs and Short Term Discussions

OKpowdah

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORTH PLATTE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHEASTERN BLAINE COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL NEBRASKA...

NORTH CENTRAL CUSTER COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEBRASKA...

SOUTHWESTERN LOUP COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL NEBRASKA...

* UNTIL 1000 PM CDT

* AT 904 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED 5 MILES EAST OF

DUNNING...AND MOVING EAST AT 10 MPH.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO AND GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED TORNADO.

IMPACT...MOBILE HOMES WILL BE HEAVILY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL

OCCUR. FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DEADLY TO PEOPLE AND ANIMALS.

EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

MILBURN...ALMERIA...MILBURN DIVERSION DAM STATE WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT

AREA AND WALWORTH.

Structure of the year right now on the southern storm. Ian's DSLR pics should be insane.

It actually reminds me a lot of your av pic. Not sure I got any great lightning shots with it but a few should be decent. Looks like it might be petering now.

It actually reminds me a lot of your av pic. Not sure I got any great lightning shots with it but a few should be decent. Looks like it might be petering now.

I ended up just taking video of the thing and getting the lightning that way. The lightning display with that column of the storm were remarkable. 

Shriveling LP with lightning, akin to Mike H's infamous pics from 2009-06-17. I can say with 80-90% confidence that you just got the structure photo ops of the year, combined with twilight and prolific visible lightning.

Shriveling LP with lightning, akin to Mike H's infamous pics from 2009-06-17. I can say with 80-90% confidence that you just got the structure photo ops of the year, combined with twilight and prolific visible lightning.

If my focus is right you might be correct. This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

We saw what Ian saw in person, but we didn't really position ourselves for photographs in a spot early enough to where there was still light. Ian was able to get away with a 6 second exposure, while we had to use 15-30 second exposures. We were taking videos from the car at that point that Ian was getting that shot. 

Right after dusk the updraft was still lit by the sun. I kept bumping up the ISO to keep the exposure short. Took some at 2500. Not sure how they'll look. I think that one was earlier tho. I'm sort of in shock. After last night we all said that was a once in a few trip structure op. who knew...

Right after dusk the updraft was still lit by the sun. I kept bumping up the ISO to keep the exposure short. Took some at 2500. Not sure how they'll look. I think that one was earlier tho. I'm sort of in shock. After last night we all said that was a once in a few trip structure op. who knew...

Wow, really interesting that you had that high of an ISO. I actually don't have a DSLR, so when my exposures are long, my ISO can't go above 100. Some of my friends who have a DSLR got terrific shots of the mammatus. 

What was the ISO of the photo you just posted? 

Wow, really interesting that you had that high of an ISO. I actually don't have a DSLR, so when my exposures are long, my ISO can't go above 100. Some of my friends who have a DSLR got terrific shots of the mammatus.

Guess its 2000. Hopefully not too grainy heh. I started around 400 and that might not be the best pic. Will have to look when we get to the hotel.

Guess its 2000. Hopefully not too grainy heh. I started around 400 and that might not be the best pic. Will have to look when we get to the hotel.

Might be worth the little bit of grain in this case. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Got this on my phone a little while ago.

sa4yryju.jpg

Nice one! I just pulled a tick out of my hair. Hopefully the shots were worth dying for lol. Prob should stop waking in tall grass. JT came across a rattler yesterday.

Nice one! I just pulled a tick out of my hair. Hopefully the shots were worth dying for lol. Prob should stop waking in tall grass. JT came across a rattler yesterday.

1. Why did you sleep in tall grass to begin with? Or did someone carry you there?

2. You probably meant "walking"... if that is the case, you will be fine as long as your Pokémon are strong and in good health, and you have quite a few Pokéballs.

Absolutely incredible, great shot. I am assuming you stitched this together? 

I actually took it with the iPhone 5 Panorama feature.  Decided to give it a shot because I had plenty of photos from my regular camera and the storm wasn't moving very quickly.

Kinda funny that I have all of this expensive camera DSLR equipment that I've saved up forever to buy, and my best shot ends up being from a smartphone.

The amount of rain we've been getting across Iowa recently is causing a lot of river flooding and flash floods and more heavy rain expected over the next few days. Crazy how one year ago it was t the worst drought since the dust bowl and now back to almost substantial flooding. But in the end I'd rather take this over a drought given the circumstances.

Archived