• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

Nice band sitting over the airport. Currently they are reporting heavy snow. Winds should become increasingly more favorable as the day goes on for more of an east west band.

In terms of coldest Januaries on record, this January won't even come close to cracking the top ten. Coldest was 1977 which came in at 11.0 degrees, 10th place is 19.0 degrees in 1920. Currently the month is 22.7 degrees and will likely finish at about 21.

Winds should remain 290-280 for the majority of the day. Hopefuly winds don't turn more WSW'erly and push the band too far north.

Brief warm ups like Saturday and Sunday seem to skew things temp wise.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds should remain 290-280 for the majority of the day. Hopefuly winds don't turn more WSW'erly and push the band too far north.

Did the winds turn already? Suprised to see the band move so quickly northward. Prospects for LES down this way are over unless another band forms.

BKL and CLE both reporting SW winds now. That band wasn't anything too special when it rolled through, you could tell it was fighting the dry air.

Tonight's temps will be the next story. It seems that the cold air has been held back slightly. Temps aren't dropping as fast as progged today. I thought today's record of -6 was in jeopardy of falling at 11:59pm tonight, but I think it'll be a close call whether it dips that quickly.

BKL and CLE both reporting SW winds now. That band wasn't anything too special when it rolled through, you could tell it was fighting the dry air.

Tonight's temps will be the next story. It seems that the cold air has been held back slightly. Temps aren't dropping as fast as progged today. I thought today's record of -6 was in jeopardy of falling at 11:59pm tonight, but I think it'll be a close call whether it dips that quickly.

Yeah, its over for these parts. Surprised the winds turned so quickly. Ridging must be pushing in quicker than expected.

Talk about windy! Looks like the squalls just quickly blew through.

Well, there's no denying that something is wrong with the CLE climate summaries.

Yesterday's 0.9" of with 0.06" LE was reduced to 0.4" snow on 0.02" LE. Not sure why the hourly precip on the METARs would be reduced. But only 0.4" of snow yesterday pretty much proves the glaring inaccuracies going on with measuring at the airport.

...THE CLEVELAND OH CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JANUARY 26 2014...

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010

CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1871 TO 2014

WEATHER ITEM OBSERVED TIME RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST

VALUE (LST) VALUE VALUE FROM YEAR

NORMAL

TEMPERATURE (F)

YESTERDAY

MAXIMUM 37 1159 PM 69 1950 35 2 24

MINIMUM 6 630 AM -9 1897 22 -16 16

AVERAGE 22 28 -6 20

PRECIPITATION (IN)

YESTERDAY 0.02 0.08 -0.06 T

MONTH TO DATE 1.95 2.33 -0.38 1.15

SINCE DEC 1 6.05 5.43 0.62 5.08

SINCE JAN 1 1.95 2.33 -0.38 1.15

SNOWFALL (IN)

YESTERDAY 0.4 0.7 -0.3 T

MONTH TO DATE 21.6 15.7 5.9 4.6

SINCE DEC 1 39.1 29.8 9.3 19.8

SINCE JUL 1 43.8 34.3 9.5 20.1

SNOW DEPTH 5

Yeah they dropped .5" off of TOL's final summary too. First time I've seen that happen this year at TOL which is strange to me. 

Wow, nice pics! Last night was similar with a lot more wind, but I think most people were sleepjng. That band certainly shifted faster than I thought unfortunately. Now on to the cold... OU closed for tomorrow due to the cold which I think is iffy here, but will certainly take the day off!

Didn't even realize that KCLE surged up to 41 last night! 

My personal weather station only hit 36, but checking around it appears a couple spots near the airport also hit 40 overnight. I'm sure most folks would be shocked to find out today's high was 41, considering it was in the teens yesterday afternoon and 15 when most people got up this morning.

Warm air advection can never be denied. Why is that the models can never accurately handle the northward advancement?

Bummer on the missed les today. On the bright side, there appears to be some decent storms towards the end of the week and next week.

Looking at today's MODIS imagery, the lake is exceedingly become more and more ice packed.

The SW winds have done nothing more than make the ice thicker in the central basin. Essentially the winds just pack the ice more and more, and the open waters just near the Erie Islands act like ice machine, forming surface ice that the W/SW winds then push out to the central basin and the cycle repeats with more ice forming and then pushing eastward. I'd imagine we see that open patch near the Erie Islands freeze solid over the next day or two. If it gets down to -5 tonight I can't imagine more than a couple of miles of open water remaining on the lake.

Even in the worst of winters you can always count on at least one storm producing 1-2 feet of lake effect snow somewhere in northeast Ohio. That has yet to happen this year and while yes we can get LES from moisture flux, friction, etc, that won't be enough to do it this year.

Euro threw us a tremendous weenie run this afternoon. It gives us 1.35" liquid with temps in the low to mid 20s for next Tuesday. Verbatim it was about 16" of snow here.

Welcome to the forum vpbob21!

Little squall line has developed...LPR gusted to 54MPH and MFD to 52MPH as it blew through.

Thanks.  Been lurking here for a while ... finally decided to register and jump in.  I've been watching the forecasts put out by NWS Cleveland for years and many times I've scratched my head and said "What are they thinking!".  Nice to see I'm not the only person that wonders that.

It sure does, especially when a cold front roars in just after midnight (like last night's).  It's going to look like we had 2 warm days when in fact it was warm for about 6 hours.

It not only takes cold weather to make a top 10 coldest month, it takes luck too.

The 18z GFS for KCLE only had the low tonight going down to +1. The problem is that GFS had the 9PM temperature still at 12, the airport is already down to 6 at 6:30 PM. The RAP model has me at 15 below noon tomorrow. I doubt it will be that cold, but I am pretty certain the GFS is going to bust.

The 18z GFS for KCLE only had the low tonight going down to +1. The problem is that GFS had the 9PM temperature still at 12, the airport is already down to 6 at 6:30 PM. The RAP model has me at 15 below noon tomorrow. I doubt it will be that cold, but I am pretty certain the GFS is going to bust.

The winds will probably stay up which will probably keep CLE from tanking, but yeah they're down to 4 now. I'd have to imagine colder than the GFS is a complete lock. I'd say -5 to -10 is a reasonable range for CLE. If winds somehow go relatively calm it could get colder but I really doubt that.

It sure does, especially when a cold front roars in just after midnight (like last night's). It's going to look like we had 2 warm days when in fact it was warm for about 6 hours.

It not only takes cold weather to make a top 10 coldest month, it takes luck too.

While this month won't make the top 10 as Trent mentioned, days like Saturday and Sunday are deceiving. The temp on Saturday went up to 28 for an hour or two, and last night up to 35.5 for 3 hours. Not exactly representative of the entire day.

The 18z gfs was hilarious... Almost constant snow from hour 84 to 132. If only....

It sure does, especially when a cold front roars in just after midnight (like last night's). It's going to look like we had 2 warm days when in fact it was warm for about 6 hours.

Yeah. Short lived temp surges like this weekend certainly don't help. However, this month did feature several truly warm days that killed any chances for this month to even come close to being top ten coldest. If January 10-15th had been closer to normal, we probably could have made it into the top ten.

Was surprised to see a coating of lake effect last night here. "Only" -7 here for a low close to the lake.

Wonder which model will cave first for the weekend storm -- Euro or GFS. GFS would be nice for northern ohio. Not a lot of wiggle room though. It may just be perception on my part, but don't we tend to do well with these systems later in the winter? I believe climo would favor a more southern track.

Wonder which model will cave first for the weekend storm -- Euro or GFS. GFS would be nice for northern ohio. Not a lot of wiggle room though. It may just be perception on my part, but don't we tend to do well with these systems later in the winter? I believe climo would favor a more southern track.

The hard part is this +NAO ... this can favor the EURO's projection but of course there are more players than the NAO out there.

As we get close to February, figured I would take a look at seasonal snowfall to date. As of today, I've had 76.9" imby. Average for this around is probably 100-110" so things are on track. With the lake shut down, we'll have to rely on synoptic snows from here on out.

Archived