• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

Just as I left the house this morning there was a band sliding a bit more west. There were big fat fluffy flakes falling. CLE might pull off an inch if it doesn't fall apart. As soon as I got past the Cuyahoga there wasn't much more than a dusting overnight.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Visible satellite paints the telling picture this morning. It's pretty much solidly covered out there except for a bit of open water near Sandusky. Explains why all those rounds of precip swinging through were complete duds, they had little chance for enhancement.

No doubt that lake ice will only thicken through the week.

Hope everyone enjoys their 0.3" snowfalls everyday this week! At least we can look forward to a brutally cold lake breeze through June this year along the coast!

Yeah, it's too bad the ice expanded so much of the last couple days. It didn't even look that bad on when, Saturday or Sunday when we last had an open look at it? That explains why all these little systems did nothing up there for sure. Ended up with about 2" here, now it's just cold and windy. I'll take it I guess...was hoping to beat my "Athens biggest storm" of 2.4" from early December, but snow growth absolutely blew...was about 10 hours of tiny snowflakes.

Nice storm so far in NYC... it has been snowing since this morning. Decent winds and huge flakes coming down. Hard to say how much has fallen since there are no open spaces around here. I'm guessing 6"+ at this point. I've forgotten what a true snow storm looks like. Hopefully we can get one back home soon.

Nice storm so far in NYC... it has been snowing since this morning. Decent winds and huge flakes coming down. Hard to say how much has fallen since there are no open spaces around here. I'm guessing 6"+ at this point. I've forgotten what a true snow storm looks like. Hopefully we can get one back home soon.

Talk about great luck! I was fortunate to be in NYC a few winter's back and there just happened to be a "surprise nor'easter" that popped up on the models just two days before it hit. Was able to fly in with clear weather, see 14" the next day, and fly back in clear weather. Those foot+ nor'easters don't hold a candle to anything we see here. When we get a foot, it's strung out over a couple days. There's nothing like 2" per hour rates of synoptic snow for several hours.

This week would have been full of epic lake snows here if Erie hadn't frozen over. At least we've got the clipper express to hopefully build a snowpack with. 

Realistically lake effect is dead for the rest of the winter. The next two weeks look cold. We'd need an amazing early to mid February 2 week long torch to melt Erie off, then followed by another epic cold blast at the end of February and beginning of March if we want any significant LES this. That's not too likely. 

Some good snow falling right now in Garfield heights. About an inch has fallen rather quickly. Roads become snow covered very quickly.

Looking at traffic cams that's the most isolated squall out there. Doesn't even show up on radar. There's one cam in Garfield Hts that shows the ground covered, a few miles in either direction there's nothing.

Looking at traffic cams that's the most isolated squall out there. Doesn't even show up on radar. There's one cam in Garfield Hts that shows the ground covered, a few miles in either direction there's nothing.

Yea, just got into my office and checked into surrounding areas cams myself. Nice to have a little luck considering the situation. 

Looks like CLE only dipped to 5 overnight. Way above most model guidance and forecasts and not surprising considering lack of snow cover, clouds, and light northerly winds. I only hit 7 IMBY where we picked up a tenth of an inch of snow overnight.

At least the next week looks promising snowfall wise. I'm betting we manage to pull off 5-8" over the next week, which is a welcome change from cold and dry.

Looks like CLE only dipped to 5 overnight. Way above most model guidance and forecasts and not surprising considering lack of snow cover, clouds, and light northerly winds. I only hit 7 IMBY where we picked up a tenth of an inch of snow overnight.

At least the next week looks promising snowfall wise. I'm betting we manage to pull off 5-8" over the next week, which is a welcome change from cold and dry.

The Fri-Sat clipper thing looks like it might shape up to be something decent, especially if there if we get a little NW bump in our favor. Feb is gonna be interesting if the split flow continues to confirm...

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

A BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW HAS DEVELOPED FROM JUST EAST OF THE

ISLANDS...ALONG THE LAKESHORE IN WESTERN CUYAHOGA COUNTY AND

EXTENDING INLAND ACROSS EASTERN CUYAHOGA/LAKE AND NW GEAUGA

COUNTIES. ECHOS ARE EXTREMELY LIGHT ON THE KCLE RADAR WITH GROUND

CLUTTER MIXING IN WITH A BETTER VIEW OF THE BAND SHOWING UP ON THE

TLVE RADAR. REPORTS FROM THIS MORNING INDICATE THAT SNOW IS

HEAVIER THAN EXPECTED WITH THE VERY COLD AIRMASS IN

PLACE...PRODUCING A LIGHT COATING OF SNOW ON ROADWAYS THAT IS

CONTRIBUTING TO SOME TRAFFIC PROBLEMS. THE SNOW IS BEING ENHANCED

WITHIN AN AREA OF LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE AHEAD OF THE BUILDING

RIDGE. THE FLOW WILL CONTINUE TO BACK TO WESTERLY AND SHIFT THIS

BAND NORTHEAST UP THE LAKESHORE. ADDED A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN

AS FAR EAST AS ASHTABULA LAKESHORE AND WILL MONITOR TRENDS THIS

MORNING.

Here's a small writeup about the band from Cle

If Lake Erie hadn't been frozen over, most of Cuyahoga County would have seen at least 8-12" overnight and through today from Lake Effect. Such a shame to waste a perfect set up finally this season after Erie froze over last week.

Clipper parade still looks on schedule for the rest of the month that should finally produce real accumulating snow. It's hard to believe we've gone through 3 weeks of some of the coldest air in decades in the Midwest and couldn't muster more than an isolated inch or two here.

If Lake Erie hadn't been frozen over, most of Cuyahoga County would have seen at least 8-12" overnight and through today from Lake Effect. Such a shame to waste a perfect set up finally this season after Erie froze over last week.

Clipper parade still looks on schedule for the rest of the month that should finally produce real accumulating snow. It's hard to believe we've gone through 3 weeks of some of the coldest air in decades in the Midwest and couldn't muster more than an isolated inch or two here.

This is my 10th winter in Cleveland yet I cannot remember one colder or less snowy here in Bainbridge Twp.

Finally get back to CLE tomorrow. The coastal was a nice treat compared to our snows. They seem to hit quick and move out.

Didn't realize the GFS was showing so much snow for us. The clown maps are ridiculous. The cobb output from the 12z run showed 16"+ believe over the next 5 days with a bullseye over cuyahoga county. Even half of that would be great.

Lake effect snow has been almost non existent for the secondary Snowbelt this season. Places in southern Cuyahoga/Geauga and northern Summit/Medina have really missed out on a lot of the action this winter, both synoptically and from LES. Coastal areas and northern parts of the primary belt are running about normal to maybe a bit above in spots.

Once you go a few miles south of 480 (but north of Akron), the winter has been a dud, especially as you compare it to the rest of the country and state which is experiencing record breaking cold and snow.

I definitely think we'll catch up by next Monday. GFS, nam, and euro all want to give us at least 8" or so through the early part of next week.

Still way too early to guess if this season will hit normal or not, but I'd say the odds for the secondary Snowbelt aren't great, but improve as you had north.

I'm picturing what this event would look like had the lake been open! Snowing at a good clip in Mayfield Heights as the band wobbles back and forth, probably 3" so far.

On one hand it's sort of remarkable you guys may technically hit advisory criteria with essentially no open water. On the other one can't help but wonder. CLE did a good job of picking this out yesterday afternoon.I picked up a whopping 0.3" last night here so you guys are out snowing someone up there :lol:

There's a pretty decent area of 20-30 dbz returns. I'm still just on my phone but I'd have to imagine it's snowing good under that band. What are the odds someone gets 6" today with a completely frozen lake?

Pretty good. It hasn't stopped in Mayfield Heights, we've been under constant snow all day so far. An advisory should be up for this regardless, a spot around interstate 271 could approach 6" but it'd be close and isolated.

Looks like the airport is once again dodging the bullet.

Kudos to CLE for mentioning this in their AFD yesterday, however they missed the mark on executing an advisory.

I'm wondering if the lack of spotters in the eastern half of Cuyahoga county is a problem? But with traffic cams every mile it's not hard today to get ground reports anywhere instantly.

Pretty good. It hasn't stopped in Mayfield Heights, we've been under constant snow all day so far. An advisory should be up for this regardless, a spot around interstate 271 could approach 6" but it'd be close and isolated.

Looks like the airport is once again dodging the bullet.

Kudos to CLE for mentioning this in their AFD yesterday, however they missed the mark on executing an advisory.

I'm wondering if the lack of spotters in the eastern half of Cuyahoga county is a problem? But with traffic cams every mile it's not hard today to get ground reports anywhere instantly.

I'm looking at traffic cams...1/2 mile visibilities along 271 seems pretty common, and I-90 on the west side looks even worse. This should get an advisory. The band is still intensifying which is unbelievable. The airport is down to 3/4 mile visibility and given the fluffy nature of the snow that's probably accumulating decently there. Some spots I'm sure are pushing 1" per hour rates from Sheffield Lake to Westlake right now.

And while we're here, I've never understood the lack of spotters in eastern Cuyahoga County. A ton of people live there and a ton of lake effect affects that area. Maybe they're there and calling their reports in and CLE just isn't putting them on the PNS's, since CLE likes to filter out reports that don't match their forecast evidently.

Still no advisory or warning. It's absolutely dumping snow here in Mayfield Heights with a temp of 9.

Is CLE living under a rock right now?

I'm betting we some headline issued just as the bands are breaking up.

Mark Johnson is publicly moaning about no headlines being issued on his Facebook page :lol:

This is a full blown band now. Wow. Just perfect location of the trough over the lake to help focus convergence near the shoreline. You don't get much heat and moisture flux through the ice, but you get enough so that the airmass over the lake is a bit warmer and moister than that over the land. All this focused convergence near the lakeshore is squeezing out the ambient moisture in the low levels and what little moisture is getting picked up from the lake, and the convergence isn't moving. This may be one of the best LES events I've seen off of a frozen Lake Erie into the Cleveland metro. The RAP doesn't show the surface trough dissipating or moving inland for several more hours. If that holds could someone get a local 8 or 10" amount?

Archived