joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion

NEOH

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder of these milder temps and rain will help break up some of the lake ice? Seems like any cracks that do develop won't last long, as another cold blast arrives next week.

There was a large break out west, which will probably get much larger with the strong winds tomorrow. Shifting winds will also help push things around.

We'll need to thread the needle with timing if the long range temps verifiy.  

I'm honestly surprised you guys didn't loose more snow today, although dew points are a bit below freezing and there were clouds near peak heating. I'm not sure if a whole foot (give or take) will melt tomorrow, but with temperatures likely getting above freezing Friday and Saturday I'm skeptical it will survive until Sunday. Things will probably get white again by the end of next week regardless.

We actually had a thunderstorm here at around 3:00AM this morning, and after back to back days in the 50's have lost all of our snow pack (we officially get below 50% ground coverage early this morning).

The snowpack has held up OK here today as well but these intense cutter lows this time of year are usually snowpack killers, and I doubt much will still be around by Friday AM. CLE has a high of near 50 for my zone tomorrow which I think is pretty conservative. I'm guessing mid 50's is more likely and with DP's probably in the upper 40's the snowpack's not gonna have much of a chance. CLE's afternoon discussion seems to think all the snow will melt and I'd have to concur with that.

To try to turn around a downer post it's certainly true there is a large hole in the ice on Lake Erie. I was down by the lake today and it looks like there's about a half mile or so of shore ice and then it's wide open beyond that. Likely that hole will get a lot bigger the next couple days with the warmth and strong winds. So hopefully someone on this thread (certainly won't be me) will be able to cash in once the cold air returns.

25/24 IMBY this morning. Still 9-11" on the ground. The cold last night really solidified the snow, but I'm doubtful much will be left by the weekend. The nam shows much less rainfall than the gfs. Regardless, temps around 50 with high dews and strong winds should do the trick.

I think CLE could push 60 just ahead of the front. Temps are really over performing down here where there is not snow cover and I'd have to imagine the southern edge of the snow cover is retreating north. 69 in Athens and still rising fast, we might hit something goofy like 74 within the hour.

Minimal melting thus far. But we haven't had warm temps yet.

The question is, how warm for how long does it take to melt 10" of heavy wet snow?

The warmth is definitely on its way, but that crazy Athens warmth is still several hours away at least. What time does the front come through? If we can get by with minimal rain there should still be some snow around tomorrow.

Still in the mid 30's with E-NE winds out here in Erie County.  I'm really impressed with how tenaciously the chilly air is hanging in.  I would have thought by now we would be pushing into the 50's.

I see CLE has jumped to 48 now so the warm air is coming.  Just hoping that 60+ degree air over SW Ohio gets pinched off before it can get up here.

Temps are dropping. Never went any higher than 50 Imby. Down to 46, with 5-6" remaining. Models were way off with precip around here. Only .27 since yesterday. The high dew did the damage to the snow.

I'm normally up at 3:30AM, but it concerns me that you are :lol:

CLE snuck up to 59 very breifly, but glad you guys held onto some snow. Actually had a severe thunderstorm warning down here around 1:30AM, although the threat didn't materialize farther north.

The models really did bad with rainfall up there. If the storms Thursday morning into the afternoon didn't lift out over the lake so quickly you may have gotten a lot more rain...although considering the period of warm temps and dews was so short you still may not have lost all of your snow. The temps varied wildly. I think CAK didn't even sniff the mid 50's let alone 59, and you were a full 9 degrees cooler than CLE was.

I'm normally up at 3:30AM, but it concerns me that you are :lol:

CLE snuck up to 59 very breifly, but glad you guys held onto some snow. Actually had a severe thunderstorm warning down here around 1:30AM, although the threat didn't materialize farther north.

The models really did bad with rainfall up there. If the storms Thursday morning into the afternoon didn't lift out over the lake so quickly you may have gotten a lot more rain...although considering the period of warm temps and dews was so short you still may not have lost all of your snow. The temps varied wildly. I think CAK didn't even sniff the mid 50's let alone 59, and you were a full 9 degrees cooler than CLE was.

Lol... Couldn't sleep. Got to bed! Surprised CLe got that warm. My weather station is brand new so hopefully it is accurate. The other thing that seemed to bust were the winds. We had a few gusts but nothing special. Too bad temps aren't colder behind the front as there will be more melting today.

I briefly hit 57 overnight. Looks like 4" of snow survived.

But this is one of those cases, where a full on torch for 2 days, with a front going up to Lake Huron would have been preferred. 

How much of a dent in the ice cover will we see on Lake Erie? Looks like some slight chances for LES this week, otherwise it looks to be a miserably cold, dry period, with brown crusty snow.

I briefly hit 57 overnight. Looks like 4" of snow survived.

But this is one of those cases, where a full on torch for 2 days, with a front going up to Lake Huron would have been preferred. 

How much of a dent in the ice cover will we see on Lake Erie? Looks like some slight chances for LES this week, otherwise it looks to be a miserably cold, dry period, with brown crusty snow.

I'm guessing the western basin is still locked with ice. But there is probably more than enough open water in the central basin for decent event.

The snow basically melted down to the same level it did with the last warm up. Once it freezes up tonight it's going to stick around for awhile.

Even though it hasn't dipped below freezing, melted snow has been freezing on roads and driveways. Apparently the ground has been so cold that even with air temps in the mid 30s it's enough to freeze.

The one plus from the big meltdown is that Lake Erie is open for business with a NW or WNW flow this week. The CLE disco barely mentions any lake effect prospects. Too dry?

41/22 out there. Crazy how strong the sun is this time of year. In the Shaded areas the snow is still solid, but getting slushy in sunny areas. Not much melting though. Need some clouds to move in.

Not sure what to expect tonight. Looks like the models are taking the heaviest snows south of the lakeshore.

The amount of open water on the lake is amazing considering how much ice was out there.

Archived