• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
CWG post story on Asheville snow wows

NavarreDon

When the next nino rolls around Asheville will be above average. Also whrn the amo goes into its - phase along with the -pdo. Good times will be had for all.

That sounds great.  When is that slated to happen?  Are we talking within the next 10 years, or when Judge Dredd is running a new police state of full cities housed in condo blocks?

you got that right don, I'll just have to roll with the punches, I knew from growing up around asheville that we use to see a lot more snow and miller A type storms than we have in the past.  I thought after 2009-2010 we were back on track.  i use to always get my snow fix in the winter but not nowadays.

That sounds great. When is that slated to happen? Are we talking within the next 10 years, or when Judge Dredd is running a new police state of full cities housed in condo blocks?

when the amo goes into its - phase? Probably in the next few years. Then there might be a lag time too, im not sure. I wish we had better climo stats for the 1930's talk about a torch decade!

when the amo goes into its - phase? Probably in the next few years. Then there might be a lag time too, im not sure. I wish we had better climo stats for the 1930's talk about a torch decade!

Yeah, the '30's had that brimstone aire to it.  That, plus the Depression and all...

Talk about kicking someone while they're down.

Great article, shows the climate is changing, there is really no arguing that, RDU's seasonal snowfall totals have been dropping just like the MA.  I wonder why the east coast is seeing this first, I am not including the NE as they can get snow many more ways than MA/SE.  It seems to me the plains, TX/OK are getting snow, so it's not a latitude issue.  I think we have to accept the fact that it's going to be very far and few between of getting a 3-5" winter event....unless your CLT.  I know I have been in denial trying to convince myself that the downward trend we have been in the past 20+ years is a cycle and the next 20+ years will be an upward trend, but I think that is wishful thinking on my part.

Great article, shows the climate is changing, there is really no arguing that, RDU's seasonal snowfall totals have been dropping just like the MA.  I wonder why the east coast is seeing this first, I am not including the NE as they can get snow many more ways than MA/SE.  It seems to me the plains, TX/OK are getting snow, so it's not a latitude issue.  I think we have to accept the fact that it's going to be very far and few between of getting a 3-5" winter event....unless your CLT.  I know I have been in denial trying to convince myself that the downward trend we have been in the past 20+ years is a cycle and the next 20+ years will be an upward trend, but I think that is wishful thinking on my part.

US5uHe4.png

Just to throw out a counter argument:  just as 20 years is a small blip in the grand scale of eons of time, so is 50 years.  The article itself says that any data before 1965 is scattered, at best.

US5uHe4.png

Just to throw out a counter argument:  just as 20 years is a small blip in the grand scale of eons of time, so is 50 years.  The article itself says that any data before 1965 is scattered, at best.

Good point, which is why I keep thinking we will flip, from that chart the past 50 years have been a negative trend and it appears we are still in the negative trend.  We don't know if the cycle is 50 or 500 years but time will tell if it's a cycle or climate change.

While I believe in climate change, this is just nit picky. Marginal events have not been working out for Asheville compared to Wilkesboro, parts of the triad, and even the upstate of SC. 

It appears to be bad luck...warmer temps in Asheville leading up to the storm every time compared to other places...which can produce 1-3 inches of snow here about every other week.

Take out the winters of 09/10 and 10/11 and I would calll Asheville a snow desert.  From 1991 to 2008, I recall two significant snows (my personal definition>4 inchies in a storm) in the Asheville metro.  We all know what one of those storms was. 

Signing off from snow starved Asheville but hey we will get a few flizzards the next few days.

But the Triad has been performing close to average, sometimes well above.

But the Triad has been performing close to average, sometimes well above.

I don't believe in luck when it comes to weather as things will average out but the triad has been bucking the trend it's been over performing on every marginal event.  What CWG looked at and what I have plotted over the past 100+ years, there is no disputing that.  But yes, I agree the past 3 winters GSO/INT have been very lucky, same with CLT, but still doesn't change the over trend over the past 50+ years. 

Archived