Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Febuary 22-24

Chrisjmcjr

attachicon.gif00zeuro850mbTSLPUS192.gif

It is colder then the GFS at the 850 level and slightly south with the secondary compared to the GFS..other then not having access to QPF maps..what looks bad about the setup?

It gets sheared out verbatim

Wow, so much wishcasting in this thread. Too much Modelogy.

Lol ok ice commander

And what is modelogy? nice spelling

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol ok ice commander

Lol ok ice commander

Looks similar to the GGEM (maybe that model has improved with the upgrade) and the GGEM kind of shows the same thing happening but at 180 + hrs out ..kind of have to look at the set up more then the specific details.. The GFS did not look that bad ..plenty of time to watch this one unfold..

Looks similar to the GGEM (maybe that model has improved with the upgrade) and the GGEM kind of shows the same thing happening but at 180 + hrs out ..kind of have to look at the set up more then the specific details.. The GFS did not look that bad ..plenty of time to watch this one unfold..

Agree. All i know is that the setup being shown is favorable. The storm details wont be worked out until late next week

The Euro ensembles continue the theme of blocking and strong CAD with the 50/50 forcing energy underneath.

Exact tracks and precip amounts are tricky from this far out, but we can see that the potential is there for a frozen

event with the specific details coming later on.

I agree. PDII had split flow, with ridge over the Rockies and elongated vortex over Eastern Canada.

Yeah, I did a reanalysis of that event and the resounding thought throughout my work, was how remarkable that event really was. February 4-6 was so exciting for me, despite the fact that we were on the wrong end of a sharp cutoff, because I never thought we would see a set up like PDII again. Feb 4-6 2010 was basically PDII "lite" version as far as the major features go including the blocking high/confluence to the north.

PDII http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2003/021518.png

2/5/10 http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2010/020500.png

the only problem I had with PDII was that it took a long time for the precip to move into my backyard.  the H was pretty strong and really suppressed the precip for 6-8hrs. i dont recall it being a long lasting storm as most mention either. I remember getting back from a soccer game at 3pm and it still not snowing, it did start shortly thereafter. Then the next day, the last measurable snow was around 10am. i guess 18hrs is not bad though...

the only problem I had with PDII was that it took a long time for the precip to move into my backyard. the H was pretty strong and really suppressed the precip for 6-8hrs. i dont recall it being a long lasting storm as most mention either. I remember getting back from a soccer game at 3pm and it still not snowing, it did start shortly thereafter. Then the next day, the last measurable snow was around 10am. i guess 18hrs is not bad though...

Lol 18 hours is still longer than probably 99% of our snowstorms. Also out on LI it started around 6-7pm and continued till early afternoon maybe 1-2pm. Roughly 20 hours or so

Lol 18 hours is still longer than probably 99% of our snowstorms. Also out on LI it started around 6-7pm and continued till early afternoon maybe 1-2pm. Roughly 20 hours or so

true...long lasting to me is 24hrs+ but whatever. like i said, i lost about 6-8hrs of precip so that would made it "long lasting" in my eyes. still an all time great storm though.

What a block on the GFS at 174 hours. Squashes the storm over the lakes. It develops a secondary but OTS. One of the more odd 500mb setups that I can recall.

At this point my least concern is this going into the lakes, models are all in agreeement about that  50/50 low...more worried about the storm being sheared to pieces by the confluence. 

Archived