12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 13th-14th Winter Storm Discussion Part II

earthlight

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

06z NAM and GFS lowered QPF amounts... OTOH, Upton has now issued WWA for Suffolk and Nassau:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY340 AM EST WED FEB 13 2013...SNOWY CONDITIONS TONIGHT...NYZ078>081-179-131800-/O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0004.130213T2200Z-130214T1100Z/NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHERN NASSAU-340 AM EST WED FEB 13 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO6 AM EST THURSDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHERADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6AM EST THURSDAY.* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN NASSAU AND SUFFOLK COUNTIES ON LONG ISLAND.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 5 INCHES...HIGHEST  ACROSS EASTERN LONG ISLAND. THERE IS A LOW PROBABILITY FOR 4 TO  8 INCHES...ONLY IF HEAVY SNOW BANDING WORKS NORTH INTO THE AREA.* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.* VISIBILITIES...ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES. THERE IS A LOW  PROBABILITY FOR ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES...ONLY IF  HEAVY SNOW BANDING WORKS NORTH INTO THE AREA.* TIMING...THIS EVENING INTO TONIGHT.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DUE TO REDUCED  VISIBILITIES AND SNOW COVERED ROADS. THE WORST CONDITIONS ARE  EXPECTED AFTER THIS EVENING RUSH INTO THE OVERNIGHT. ALTHOUGH  SNOW IS EXPECTED TO END BY THE THURSDAY MORNING RUSH...ROADS  WILL STILL BE SNOW COVERED.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...ORFREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FORSLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILEDRIVING.&&

Please try and understand what you are looking at. Ths system did not shift south on the nam or the gfs. The surface low is still east of AC. Only diff is its progged at 1000mb. Not 996 that the previous runs showed. So the precip field looks less robust on the 6z. I wouldnt worry about 4 shouldnt kill the 2 to 4 around here. Lets see if the 12z deepens it back and match the radar against the initializations. And u will get ur answer

both the 6z nam and gfs are drier further south....

And the RGEM and SREF bumped north a little. This will probably come down to nowcasting and seeing where the main snow banding sets up. I think we're good for a few inches hopefully. Maybe this could surprise on the high end.

I agree. I still think we see 3-4" here with amounts up to 6

And the RGEM and SREF bumped north a little. This will probably come down to nowcasting and seeing where the main snow banding sets up. I think we're good for a few inches hopefully. Maybe this could surprise on the high end.

New srefs got drier. .25" line barely to NYC now.

.50" line south of Sandy Hook.

This system reenforces the rule that many of us(including me) were breaking; if the EURO's not onboard, it ain't happening. It scored another big win here, and for the love of god can't they fix the NAM already?

(GFS wasn't much better, had two runs 2 days ago with warning snow and unfortunatley we all bought it)

-skisheep

Archived