• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wes's latest discussion of weekend storm on Capital Weather

i was just looking for this a bit ago... great read as always wes. this is a tough one, but you've been pretty steadfast and i think you're still probably looking better than a snow weenie might hope. i'll take anything though. ;)

im still hoping the 0z suite is huge tho

Wes,

I've followed models for a long time, studied in met. school for 2 years before changing majors. I've honestly never seen the EURO do what its done with regards to this storm. It goes from being way out to sea within 96 HRs, all the other models which usually are right on its tail then go out to sea as well. Last second two runs trend majorly west within 84 hours. Now, I repeat, I DO NOT want to get flamed for this comment, and I'm not comparing the storms in any way 500mb, 300mb, etc, just with model behavior. If you may recall the Jan 25 2000 storm was a storm where the EURO continually showed it, but the American models did not budge until within 24 hours or so. Could this happen again?

I'll say this, and tell me if you agree or disagree, but if the EURO shows a big hit at 00z and the other models continue to show out to sea, I think the local media people in the big cities in the NE better be careful. If the EURO goes East tonight at 00z, then it was just a hiccup, but a RARE hiccup at that.

Wes,

I've followed models for a long time, studied in met. school for 2 years before changing majors. I've honestly never seen the EURO do what its done with regards to this storm. It goes from being way out to sea within 96 HRs, all the other models which usually are right on its tail then go out to sea as well. Last second two runs trend majorly west within 84 hours. Now, I repeat, I DO NOT want to get flamed for this comment, and I'm not comparing the storms in any way 500mb, 300mb, etc, just with model behavior. If you may recall the Jan 25 2000 storm was a storm where the EURO continually showed it, but the American models did not budge until within 24 hours or so. Could this happen again?

I'll say this, and tell me if you agree or disagree, but if the EURO shows a big hit at 00z and the other models continue to show out to sea, I think the local media people in the big cities in the NE better be careful. If the EURO goes East tonight at 00z, then it was just a hiccup, but a RARE hiccup at that.

It sounds like you're saying I should have followed the euro, that could be right but I don't think its scores are that much superior to just follow it. My guess is the models work back towards some middle ground but who knows,you could be right.

Wes (or anyone for that matter) is there a particular reason you discount the Euro run when so many seem to follow its every move as if its gospel? It seems clear that there has to be some issue there considering its relatively quick flop but it was showing something similar in the long range a few days back, no? Is it just the weight of guidance against it?

Wes (or anyone for that matter) is there a particular reason you discount the Euro run when so many seem to follow its every move as if its gospel? It seems clear that there has to be some issue there considering its relatively quick flop but it was showing something similar in the long range a few days back, no? Is it just the weight of guidance against it?

Yes, and today, I had no access to the euro ensemble mean as I couldn't get to this server or I might have kept my higher probabilities as they balance out the sref. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the mean never have access to the individual members. My assessment could very well be hubris or cowardice. I'm not sure which.

I would be very wary of extreme model solutions either way in this pattern. I don't like how the guidance from 12Z or 00Z is handling the energy in the Pacific and certainly not that disturbance in the southern Plains.

Looks like the sref ensemble members are still going to be all over the place and until the northern of the two pacific shortwaves gets inland, there still is wiggle room. I wouldn't change my POPS for DC yet.

Archived