northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 13/14 VD Storm discussion

Bostonseminole

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think it gets up to our area though? I have 20 miles west on you so that might help, but don't think the difference between me and you/LL will be signficant.

-skisheep

tough to say...most models have .01-.08 for us, hard to imagine all of them being THAT wrong--maybe up to 1/2 inch if we're lucky....

True, hard to imagine it being THAT wrong, who knows though. Did they have the banding in PA today, or was that another suprise?

-skisheep

Not sure....looking at radar, the state college band is already drying up-coastal looks to be forming off delmarva-heavy returns down there...transfer may be starting?

just saw the HRRR in the NYC thread-that northern stuff just falls apart in the next few hrs...nothing north of NYC

HRRR sucks. 

Meh, was getting an older run for some reason.  It doesn't look terrible.  It is what it is, it either continues to expand into the region or it dies quickly in the next few hours.

I still think there's a glancing blow SE areas later.  How much?  I'm hoping for a dusting to an inch, as always.

Epic stretch of winter incoming.

maybe there's just enuf ridging out ahead of this thing....it wants to go north now in the last few hrs b4 the kicker is really forcing it :weenie: . it's not like it would be an epic bust for models to be off .10 on the nw edge of precip shield. just ask state college pa. they've prob seen .25-.35 in that 700mb fronto band

maybe there's just enuf ridging out ahead of this thing....it wants to go north now in the last few hrs b4 the kicker is really forcing it :weenie: . it's not like it would be an epic bust for models to be off .10 on the nw edge of precip shield. just ask state college pa. they've prob seen .25-.35 in that 700mb fronto band

The thing is its a booby trap.  Sure the Euro and others have played catch up all day.  Several of the NWS used those exact terms.  But that doesn't mean it continues post transfer.  IE the coastal could kill our chances.

KDIX building nicely, and the NW band is still translating across ENE. 

Was just reading the obs thread, some of those guys got 2+ per hour rates in that band.  Good for them.  Nice positive bust for once.

ya i would think there is more bust potential in NYC/ SW ct area if that left over area from banding takes longer to fall apart. i think this is entirely more possible. than say hoping it stay together to E CT. prob not gonna happen. wrt coastal transfer the precip shield will crap out , and consolidtate closer to coastal BUT like i said , it is within the realm of being quite possible that the band from C Pa extends E further than prog'd and SE NY and SW ct up thru say DXR actually gets in on 2 inches IMO. i think that is where the bust potential seems like the best chance. and this wouldn't really be a Horrible model bust imo  but it is a way the SW ct weenies could smile and have some hope tonite

One thing I suggest looking at to signal banding is the 600-500 VVs. This has worked real well in the last three storms. It does not always work, but perhaps the deep moisture content of these srn systems allows it to work better than it would for say, Miller Bs. It has worked awesome so far, nailing the Cincy and State Colleg snows. It targets RI and extreme SE MA later albeit briefly.

scott is there anything on the SPC site that we can click on to monitor the 500-600vv's

No, but twisterdata.com has it for RAP, NAm, an GFS. A good site. Don't forget things tilt to the NW in storms, so strong VVs in one area usually mean areas just NW of this region still get snow. Models really weaken this area and then focus on stuff developing south of SNE some will see if they are wrong or not, shortly.

Can't believe how good radar looks even for areas up to Pike..Pretty surprising

dude look at returns on state college radar, not upton, not albany, not mt. holly, the stuff in C-NE PA fell apart so fast . from light green returns to light blue now in the scope of forty mins. maybe you get a quick 30 mins of snow from the stuff on upton radar movin thru, but E /NE PA stuff just fell apart. no  denying that

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=ccx&loop=yes

dude look at returns on state college radar, not upton, not albany, not mt. holly, the stuff in C-NE PA fell apart so fast . from light green returns to light blue now in the scope of forty mins. maybe you get a quick 30 mins of snow from the stuff on upton radar movin thru, but E /NE PA stuff just fell apart. no  denying that

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=ccx&loop=yes

Pretty well modeled.  HRRR is all over the place, now back with some accumulating snows in SE MA and on LI.  Useless. 

The radar looks good south of Long Island, and there's a nice band west of KOKX too.  RAP doesn't allow any of that into the region really until later this evening with the developing low, and even then it's extreme SE Cape and Islands. 

Worth checking radar periodically but the supposedly superior meso models say this is a dead duck walking.

Flat out the radar looks pretty darn good...would appear that stuff clips at least SE areas later, but HRRR/RAP say mainly no.   Euro does basically nothing down here too.  So what'd you do?

Euro's going to have a big fail...people outside Philly already have 1.5" down. 

The Euro wasn't great with this system but it probably doesn't matter for SNE.  Well, I suppose maybe for SE Cape and ACK if they bang out 2-4 or so tonight because it had miniscule amounts there....but...no denying the NCEP stuff was once again too aggressive in these borderline situations.

Nice surprise event from IN through PA and NJ, but not to be here.  Can see the returns failing near western LI now as the coastal takes over.  That little band in NW CT is what zooms south of Boston later. 

The coastal is rapidly taking over-the northern stuff will die out and we'll be in subsidence just north of the main band--LI NYC south look ok...

Yup, going to get screwed again, has been a common theme this winter(See the blizzard, you guys were in SN+ under the death band for 2 hours and I had flurries...)

-skisheep

Archived