CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Friday February 8th Storm Potential

Edge Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the trend, compare it to the ECMWF, I do see some potential.  Thou at this time I would say 40% chance of snow , 40% chance for rain and 20% chance for snow to ice.  Subject to major changes.

Shouldn't the high to our north at least help keep some of the cold locked in? Or would it slide away to quickly?

Shouldn't the high to our north at least help keep some of the cold locked in? Or would it slide away to quickly?

It may allow for more overrunning snows initially, but the positioning of the high is just not ideal in this setup unless you've just got a weak disturbance at 500mb ejecting from the south...this is not that different a setup from PDII except that the surface low is too strong and forces too much of an ESE gradient.

It may allow for more overrunning snows initially, but the positioning of the high is just not ideal in this setup unless you've just got a weak disturbance at 500mb ejecting from the south...this is not that different a setup from PDII except that the surface low is too strong and forces too much of an ESE gradient.

Ya, looks too far north and east. The surface at hour 60/66 looks falsely amazing though. Cold high to the north, storm moving NE out of the gulf? Sign me up

What? The high pressure to the north and it's orientation is not the real problem especially given our Feb. climo. There are certain levels that everyone (amateurs and pros alike) should look at before posting. The simple answer to the warmth on this run and the quickly retreating cold is placement of the 850 mb low. It goes over Rochester! You don't get snow when a closed 850 mb low heads over upstate NY. Will this change? Probably. In fact, the GFS opens it up (albeit it, late in the game) and it too transfers to the coast. The GFS attempts to pop a TN low, but it quickly transfers the energy to the coast. This is more of a Miller B than a Miller A. In any case, we have made progress, but we're far from the eventual outcome.

What? The high pressure to the north and it's orientation is not the real problem especially given our Feb. climo. There are certain levels that everyone (amateurs and pros alike) should look at before posting. The simple answer to the warmth on this run and the quickly retreating cold is placement of the 850 mb low. It goes over Rochester! You don't get snow when a closed 850 mb low heads over upstate NY. Will this change? Probably. In fact, the GFS opens it up (albeit it, late in the game) and it too transfers to the coast. The GFS attempts to pop a TN low, but it quickly transfers the energy to the coast. This is more of a Miller B than a Miller A. In any case, we have made progress, but we're far from the eventual outcome.

it is hard to believe (well not in '12-'13) that with the orientation of that high in SE Canada and it being the beginning of Feb that we wouldnt be in line for at least some snow...

I agree and hence, I am not taking this idea of the 850 mb low hanging out over Upstate NY and transferring several hundred miles SE in a 6 hour span to the Delmarva. I just don't buy it. NAM and UKMET (crap) are both taking a more potent system in the OH Valley with a very late, almost non-existent transfer.

it is hard to believe (well not in '12-'13) that with the orientation of that high in SE Canada and it being the beginning of Feb that we wouldnt be in line for at least some snow...

Archived