• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 15-MOrch possible wintry threats

tombo82685

The trough modeled after the VD storm is exactly the kind of response the MJO-AAM signal was suggesting for the last few weeks. Will it just get very cold or will we have another opportunity at a monster?

Interesting. There is certainly a huge signal for trough amplication in Euro/GFS ensembles.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the V-day storm is progressive if we do get it. May be suppressed  a little luck with this is needed. The overall height pattern a few days back looked more amplified than it does now. Modeling is better today though. 

The Euro is still suppressed but less so than last couple of runs.

Are you referring to the Sunday / Monday storm? Looks like a decent amount of precip. involved, albeit rain down here (booo!).

He's talking about the thursday system. More than a couple days away.

Yes sorry about that, I know it's a more than a couple days away. The point is it is relatively close for us to get somewhat excited. It's not in day 10 fantasyland, it's under a week away.

Huge run this first storm looked like a 6 to 12 inch. The pd3 storm is huge storm this run also . then one more at the end of the run alot can change but alot to track. Maybe we can get back to back storms again.

first storm to track      http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=88678

this is what the pd3 looked like   http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfs/00zgfs850mbTSLPp12204.gif

The euro took baby steps towards the gfs by digging the northern stream in better, but end result is still a skirt off nc coast. Need that northern stream to dig more. Doesn't help their is a kicker on its heels thats going to limit the amplitude of the ridge out west.

That kicker in the NW isn't on the GFS or the CMC i think. It definitely deamplifies the trough. Euro could just be overdoing that energy. Do adam or HM like this threat?

Really like the chances for a more southern track that impacts us in this region over the next 10 days. Still think we end up close to normal snow for the season and most folks who like winter weather will recall this one fondly. It's kind of interesting that folks who don't follow weather closely who live in my neck of the woods have been telling me they think it has been a cold and snowy winter! Mainly because of 4 accumulating (albeit small) snow events in the first 8 days of this month. Folks who part outside have been clearing their cars off a lot of morning here in the NW burbs

I thought I had this one ;) .

This is true, I forgot i said that, sorry lee. Anyways, I'm not sure if you saw the euro, but it looks a good bit better and moved towards the gfs somewhat. Phases in the northern stream moreso than the 0z run did. Had better separation from that s/w behind it which allowed the ridge to gain more amplitude which allowed the northern stream to dig more. Good steps imho, but it still has to keep adjusting.

Archived