• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Global Superjet Winds Could Explain Record Rains and Tornadoes

From the linked article:

Studies of the Tennessee floods, the Alabama tornadoes and an odd October storm in Wisconsin showed “that when the subtropical jet is pushed poleward under the influence of strong thunderstorms in the western Pacific, it seems to result in these intense storms in the U.S. midsection,” Martin says. “It’s a really fascinating global connection that occurs seven to 10 days later.”

If the finding that I underlined holds up to further scrutiny, it could be important from a predictive aspect.

Isn't this what we already see when we talk about +AAM anomalies propagating poleward? This doesn't seem groundbreaking to me.

I'm kinda with you on this.  Plus this:

Martin says that if the new analysis survives further study, it could contribute to severe weather forecasting.

Though severe weather was forecast a day or two in advance of the deadly tornado outbreak in the Southeast this April, “most tornado forecasts are made 12 or at most 24 hours in advance. That saves lives. But if we get the idea five or six days in advance that we should watch the position of the jet streams, we could say, ‘Hey, we have a pretty exciting week coming up, we have to be on high alert.’”

Obviously they haven't seen SPC's Convective Outlooks going out 8 days.

From some of the comments here, it seems that perhaps the research findings might not be all that new. It would be interesting to see the article when or if it is published.

Of course, if it is not really new, that wouldn't be the first time that's happened. If I recall correctly, a few years ago, there were new stories about a "new" type of El Niño (Modoki El Niño) when, in fact, such central Pacific based ENSO events were not new. They had occurred in the past e.g., 1963-64. as not every El Niño has been a basin-wide one. Such ENSO events might have some relationship with the longer-term PDO cycle, as they were less infrequent during the recent warm PDO cycle.

Well studies like this could provide to be high valuable, especially if you're starting to talk about severe weather/tornado forecasts on a more local scale, or trying to pinpoint a more precise location of where the higher probabilities reside.  I'm sure there are many out there who feel you can't forecast severe wx or tornadoes to a cue but as research and hi-res models continue to improve I believe you can definitely start begin to generate stronger worded forecasts for a smaller scale area.  But in order for this to happen you have to begin somewhere!

Archived