Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Happy 35th Anny. Blizz of 78 upcoming

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its possible there were some 40"+ amounts, but stuff near 50" is hard to believe considering that we have a plethora of official measurements that max out at 39". The drifts were so extreme that its really just a trivial fact whether it was 38" or 46"....20 foot drifts are still 20 feet regardless of what the snow would have been on the level.

I was only 4 at the time, but I remember (yes I do) how high the wall of snow was when the garage door was opened in the morning...and how the snow was up to the windows on the first floor of the house...

Wish I was older at that time to really appreciate it and remember more of it, lol.  Definitely once in a life time storm...maybe I'll be lucky enough (and old enough) to witness another one like that, but doubtful.  

Its possible there were some 40"+ amounts, but stuff near 50" is hard to believe considering that we have a plethora of official measurements that max out at 39". The drifts were so extreme that its really just a trivial fact whether it was 38" or 46"....20 foot drifts are still 20 feet regardless of what the snow would have been on the level.

Ya, it must've been pretty near impossible to get any kind of an accurate measurement. 

There is a 55" one that appears on maps... not sure how official it is or not.  Tip (I think) said Togg Gross has some amazing stats on it before he left Ch 7

4fbbfac387bd1.image.jpg

One of life's disappointments I'll take to my grave.  I was in LA, having moved there a year earlier.  Looking at the map 2 days before it didnt' seem like much ado so I forgot about it....until my wx weenie friend called with play by play.  I came to Boston about a month later and STILL, the snow depth was unreal despite no measurable snow after the blizzard in the month of February.  While I was in town, I was treated to an 8 inch event that the local populace treated like flurries. 

The pics are great....although bittersweet given the fact I missed it ...and would love to see another on like it but it is unlikely for the rest of my life.

There is a 55" one that appears on maps... not sure how official it is or not.  Tip (I think) said Togg Gross has some amazing stats on it before he left Ch 7

The 55" amount isn't accepted as valid...I know they left it off the Kocin map.

Again, its pretty trivial, but it probably would have taken at least 4.5-5.0" of liquid to get those amounts given the winds. That's an extremely difficult task.

I'm to young to have been around for this storm, but the stories however never get old!  My father was just starting out on the Scituate Police and to hear some of the tales of the coastal flooding that occurred just leave me saying WOW!  As far as snow amounts the blizzard of 2005 i guess would be the closest thing I have experienced in my lifetime thus far, or maybe 2003 not sure.

That's close to what it looked like around here in Jan 2011. Seriously

Sure after a month of snow. Some places in SRI were bare ground when it started. I was at URI and can picture to this day the exact moment the flurries began.looking out of the Union hall seeing bare ground with left over piles. This is how heavy the snow got. I found my girlfriend, we drove to Westerly, a 20 minute ride. By the time I pulled in my house we had a solid 6 inches. The best part prior was I was taking a Met class then, URI had Met then. The professor showed us the Difax and told us to hunker down as this would be historic, he really said that, so I had a heads up. Scooter might call my memories fables but like Hunchie said unless you were there you had no clue. I have a living memory from that night, he will be 35 in November. We went back to Uri the next day, 7 days of fun and music and nothing but fun and music.

I was living on the south shore of Long Island as a teenager in '78.  Even there, where it's usually rain, we received 14" on Jan 20, before the thaw.  It was all melted by the time the blizzard it.  I can remember listening to WCBS Newsradio 88 the night that it hit, and Dr? Bob Harris forecasted 1-3" and changing to rain.  It never did change over.  By the time it was done 2 and a half days later, we got 28-30".  Our street wasn't plowed for 3 days after.  I was off from school the entire week.  It just seemed like it would never end.  Best storm of my life. 

"Ten Hours Until Dawn", a great read by Michael Tougias about the pilot boat Can Do in the blizzard.

Yeah, I mentioned that a couple of times over the past few months. Great book. I would have liked to have been on the coast to witness those aspects of it.

I have several books by him - he writes decent stuff about the Quabbin

In Oct 2011, I got at least 20" of snow and was out driving around the next day (it was a powder bomb here)

In April 1997 I got 36" in Gardner, MA and was driving around about 2 days later (can't quite remember)

We went at least a week without driving in 1978 - I remember being "trapped" by one of the front end loaders in front of my house. I had gone to a friends a few houses over and the truck arrived to start clearing the road intersection (cul-de-sac type of neighborhood). He was making the giant snowpiles and I was scared to cross over to my house.

Not denying it. Anyone you know witness both in the prime areas?

Yeah and they mentioned that as well. I only say that based on the 78 pics and what I saw personally that week in January.

Between the snowfall, winds, longevity, and coastal flooding, that storm is over 1-100 yr I think. Feb 78 that is.

Archived