• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Special - Prelude to a high impact event?

Bob Chill

Picked up a good 1.5" here as measured at 11 PM. Left the house about 3 PM and it was snowing quite hard and accumulating quickly. Not sure how much we had before compaction, but it probably was closer to 2 inches. Everything covered. What a beautiful Christmas Eve! Traffic snarled in the area; it seemed to have caught VDOT completely by surprise. No way did I think we'd get an accumulation. Started as - and stayed - snow here. Congrats to all who finally broke the snow drought - no better way to do so than with a White Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all and to all, a good night!

oSot5.jpg

j8UTY.jpg

You defintely had 2" I could see it when driving thru on 81 last evening heading home. Some of the numbers around the area people are posting seem to be inflated a bit, but you had 2" for sure.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These events are so interesting when it comes to location and accumulation.

My brother in Leesburg got about 2 inches. He sits at 330' ASL. I'm about 8 miles SSE of him, at 365' ASL, and got about .5 inches. Went to Herndon in the middle of the snow, another 8 miles SE and at 400' ASL, and there was nothing left from earlier snow. It was all rain at that point and anything that'd fallen earlier had melted.

Very interesting that just 8 miles to my NW and at a lower elevation got 4 times as much snow. I'm guessing they sat in higher returns for longer? Such a nice Christmas Eve surprise though

Archived