Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
New NWS Zones for Southeastern Pennsylvania

MGorse

Hi Everyone,

This announcement was released back in August, however wanted to post it as the change is effective in early December. NWS Mount Holly is splitting three zones/counties in Southeastern Pennsylvania. These are Montgomery, Bucks and Chester counties. This has been in the works for over a year now and we are excited that it is nearly implementation time. There will also be some changes to the warning/advisory criteria for these new zones regarding snow and ice. The announcment that was sent out can be found at the link below.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification/scn12-28phi_zones.htm

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

This announcement was released back in August, however wanted to post it as the change is effective in early December. NWS Mount Holly is splitting three zones/counties in Southeastern Pennsylvania. These are Montgomery, Bucks and Chester counties. This has been in the works for over a year now and we are excited that it is nearly implementation time. There will also be some changes to the warning/advisory criteria for these new zones regarding snow and ice. The announcment that was sent out can be found at the link below.

http://www.nws.noaa....28phi_zones.htm

:clap:

very close -- by township.

Lower Prov is western, West Norriton, Worcester, Upper Gwynedd, Lansdale, Montgomery Twp are eastern. Skippack and all townships NW of the ones I listed would constitute western.

Geographically it makes sense as you start to get some 400'+ elevations again in that western Mont. Co region. and it's obviously much less "urbanized".

• 3 weeks later...

post-105-0-20746500-1353150942_thumb.jpg

Which one of us is Cube?

Well, since Tombo and gregralls just moved into our hood, looks like me, you and JCT777 make up the Mont. Co Westside Connection.

220px-Westside_Connection.jpg

you-Cube......and a packers fan? thought it was the Raiders. (anything better than the Eagles).

JCT-Mack 10.......no more Phillies, sorry JCT.

me-WC......although I need to pack on about 75 lbs.

Maps showing the townships involved in the splitting...

good Day MGorse,

I a few questions. If this has already been discussed, excuse me. Was this more winter or summer for the split and reasons?

Winter questions.

Having lived in Unionville, PA ( 4 miles NW of Rt 842& 82 interchange) for a long time and Chadds Ford, PA for extended time period until I was 23(Chester County)

A few questions about the grid for winter for this county.

Your grid includes the Oxford area to upper Chester County for a section for western areas. How is this split in Winter for snow events?

Drastic changes from rt 926 in western chester county near rt 41 & north compared to Oxford can occur with the right storm track.

Bucks County - My father lives 4 Miles NW of Doylestown and seems to be in the SE Bucks Grid.

how was this calculated. I have seen differences in snow totals from Doylestown to Bensalem/Yardely in the past for winter with the right storm track.

I personally believe that with what occurred, you now must split future counties.

Br,

darkStar

good Day MGorse,

I a few questions. If this has already been discussed, excuse me. Was this more winter or summer for the split and reasons?

Winter questions.

Having lived in Unionville, PA ( 4 miles NW of Rt 842& 82 interchange) for a long time and Chadds Ford, PA for extended time period until I was 23(Chester County)

A few questions about the grid for winter for this county.

Your grid includes the Oxford area to upper Chester County for a section for western areas. How is this split in Winter for snow events?

Drastic changes from rt 926 in western chester county near rt 41 & north compared to Oxford can occur with the right storm track.

Bucks County - My father lives 4 Miles NW of Doylestown and seems to be in the SE Bucks Grid.

how was this calculated. I have seen differences in snow totals from Doylestown to Bensalem/Yardely in the past for winter with the right storm track.

I personally believe that with what occurred, you now must split future counties.

Br,

darkStar

This is from the PNS that was issued:

"These zones are being changed to improve forecast accuracy in the

urban versus suburban areas of southeastern Pennsylvania, and to

better represent the differences in climatology associated with

elevation increases from south to north. These changes will

result in more geographically precise forecast, watch and warning

products for the general public and will enhance Web-based

graphical product consistency and appearance".

The main focus was the three counties that are being split effective December 4, 2012. Could some more counties be split, probably, however let's not get carried away.

This is from the PNS that was issued:

"These zones are being changed to improve forecast accuracy in the

urban versus suburban areas of southeastern Pennsylvania, and to

better represent the differences in climatology associated with

elevation increases from south to north. These changes will

result in more geographically precise forecast, watch and warning

products for the general public and will enhance Web-based

graphical product consistency and appearance".

The main focus was the three counties that are being split effective December 4, 2012. Could some more counties be split, probably, however let's not get carried away.

also, these counties are pretty big, so a difference from n-s or w-e could vary. You wouldnt do it for delco or phl county because the counties arent that big. Only other county i could maybe see is berks county.

Are you going to change the criteria for snowfall in southern Montco, Chesco, Bucksco to the same criteria that Philly & Delaware Counties have?

It's confusing enough for some of the public having warning criteria for Delco/Philly at 4 and the rest of the burbs at 6 (I get a few emails each winter wondering why Montco isn't under a warning for 4" but Philly is). JMO, splitting the warning criteria within the county wouldn't be a good idea.

Are you going to change the criteria for snowfall in southern Montco, Chesco, Bucksco to the same criteria that Philly & Delaware Counties have?

The warning criteria (snow) for the eastern/lower zones of the split counties will be lowered to 4 inches. This is to match the rest of the Philly metro.

Archived