• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post a pic of your town thread

Got this idea from the New England forum and it is such a great idea I thought Id do it for the upstate region, this way we can all see eachothers towns.

Ill start with mine.

Orchard Park, New York

Population: 29,054 (2010)

Elevation: ranges from about 700-1400 feet (N to S), my elevation is aprox 860ft

Area: 38.6 sq mi

Average Annual Snowfall: Approx 110"

A "southtown" of Buffalo New York

Also home of the Buffalo Bills Ralph Wilson Stadium

First pic is at Green Lake (Yates Park) one of the Gems in all of WNY and little known about.

32b26d4d586df0717a512d36999d7f49.jpg

Second pic is in the village of OP which is centrally located in the town of OP itself during a lake effect event in December of 2009 that dropped about 18" of snow

6cc0bf1fd23b83f0d049257d5a1f8849.jpg

Next two pics are from one of WNY most famous parks which is on the southern edge of OP, Chestnut Ridge Park, with an elevation of about 1100-1200 feet overlooking the rest of OP and even Buffalo in the distance.

45685dffbbc0a2b411cc89b4a494a555.jpg

367d72e8625a43724fbd1e2ad9402d0b.jpg

And of course "The Ralph" located in OP's western side.

2b1f042f76fe1c7b9485da331f1984f0.jpg

And finally the location of OP relative to the rest of WNY

5191b848adfaf73873f35b7b4d72e079.jpg

Tamaqua, Pennsylvania

Population: 7,107

Elevation: 800-1,000 ft

Land area: 9.83 square miles

Tamaqua (pronounced tuh-MAH-qwah) is a borough in eastern Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, and is located in Pennsylvania's Anthracite coal region. Named for the Tuscarora king of the Turkey Clan, Chief Tahkamochk, or Tam-a-kwah.

Tamaqua PA was founded in 1799 by German immigrant Burkhardt Moser. Originally to be named Tuscarora, the name Tamaqua was chosen after it was realized that there already was a community named Tuscarora about four miles to the west. The discovery of anthracite coal in the region in the early 1800s led to the town's rise as a coal producing community. The town was incorporated as a borough in 1832. Tamaqua remained a thriving community throughout the heyday of coal production in the United States in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It began declining, along with many other anthracite communities, in the 1950s as coal mines began tapering off. The population today is roughly half of it's largest count which was nearly 15,000 during the major coal producing years.

Overlooking the downtown and Dutch Hill section of the borough.

View from west to east overlooking the borough.

Restored Philadelphia & Reading Railroad station and Depot Square Park.

Street level view of the downtown business district.

Tamaqua_PA.gif

Tamaqua, Pennsylvania

Population: 7,107

Elevation: 800-1,000 ft

Land area: 9.83 square miles

Tamaqua (pronounced tuh-MAH-qwah) is a borough in eastern Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, and is located in Pennsylvania's Anthracite coal region. Named for the Tuscarora king of the Turkey Clan, Chief Tahkamochk, or Tam-a-kwah.

Tamaqua PA was founded in 1799 by German immigrant Burkhardt Moser. Originally to be named Tuscarora, the name Tamaqua was chosen after it was realized that there already was a community named Tuscarora about four miles to the west. The discovery of anthracite coal in the region in the early 1800s led to the town's rise as a coal producing community. The town was incorporated as a borough in 1832. Tamaqua remained a thriving community throughout the heyday of coal production in the United States in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It began declining, along with many other anthracite communities, in the 1950s as coal mines began tapering off. The population today is roughly half of it's largest count which was nearly 15,000 during the major coal producing years.

Overlooking the downtown and Dutch Hill section of the borough.

View from west to east overlooking the borough.

Restored Philadelphia & Reading Railroad station and Depot Square Park.

Street level view of the downtown business district.

Tamaqua_PA.gif

Nice town! How do you average for snow there?

I'm not going to copy and paste so here is some info about my town:

http://en.wikipedia....right,_New_York

And here is an aerial view of my house from a couple years ago. I added onto the house since then (it was tiny) but the rest looks about the same. I have 12 acres.

post-123-0-83376500-1347883553_thumb.jpg

I'm not far from Flying and roughly in the middle of this terrain. A high valley, we are rural and can get cold when there's "ideal radiational cooling."

post-1436-0-50371300-1347922919_thumb.jp

what are your guys average snowfalls?

Here's a little about Westmoreland where I live:

http://en.wikipedia....eland,_New_York

Been living here for 7 years. Moved from the other side of the Thruway where we lived for 12 years.

I love living in the country. 15 minutes to get to work. More room than we'll ever need.

That's pretty much most of our 26 acres below. I mow way too much as you can see.

post-421-0-03973500-1347968062_thumb.jpg

I am in Oswego, NY

We average 150" of snow per winter, and there have been some winters that have had over 300" of snow.

Oswego is a city in Oswego County, New York, United States. The population was 18,142 at the 2010 census. Oswego is located onLake Ontario in north-central New York and promotes itself as "The Port City of Central New York". It is the county seat of Oswego County.

The city of Oswego is bordered by the towns of Oswego, Minetto, and Scriba to the west, south, and east, respectively, and by Lake Ontario to the north. Oswego Speedway is a nationally-known automobile racing facility. The State University of New York at Oswegois located just outside the city on the lake. Oswego is the namesake for communities in Montana, Oregon, Illinois, and Kansas.Market_House_Oswego_NY_Nov_08.jpg

The local observer (htltp://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/bgm/cli/coop/DELN6.html) has the average at 63.2". Two years ago, we broke 100", I'm sure. Last year, well...

FlyingMXZ keeps some records and he does better with higher elevation.

Yea, it varies quite a bit with elevation. Plus the further north around here the more we get into leftover lakeeffect snow to fluff up the totals.

Absolutely.

I like being outside working, and being able to just go in the woods and p** if I have to lol :whistle:

I don't even worry about the woods around here. Just make sure I'm pointing away from the road just in case.

Most of the year I live in Oswego, but for the first half of winter I live in Guilderland, NY. Guilderland has some pretty rural areas to the west and more populated areas to the east near the border with the city of Albany. I live in the more populated area near the city line. The snowfall data for Albany is taken at the NWS office which is only a few miles from my house so that is pretty much the amount I get. Our average is 59.1 inches with the highest being 112.5 in 1970-1971. Here's a picture of one of the more rural parts of the town.

199289_10152121613085273_2122376082_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-7255-0-44204000-1349098955_thumb.jpBoonville, NY;

Even better- here's the nearest live weather cam! http://weather.weath...local-cams.html

About ten miles north of me, it's on the eastern escarpment of the Tug Hill plateau at about 1350 ft. elevation with a view to the east, over the Black River valley looking at the level line of the sand plains that line the western boundary of the Adirondack Park.

Both locations are essentially the ice margins/beachfronts of an ice age lake. The 2200' top of the plateau is located about 2 miles west of this site, and the dynamics associated with the prevailing west winds from over Lake Ontario drops quite a load on the area. We joke that six runs at Snow Ridge (the nearby ski area) is just like being at Alta.

(It's low vert you see, heh-heh, sort of an inside joke... :whistle: )

I've attached a picture taken at the start house used for ski racing, looking east. This was taken during a dire snow drought.

Average snowfall at this location averages around 220", with records well above 300" for the season and +100" for a month.

Scott

Archived