• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August 13 Severe Weather Risk

Jim Martin

Nice directional shear across the area tomorrow especially per NAM. One of the limiting factors for this setup may be the marginal mid level lapse rates and resultant effect on instability. Also would prefer to see somewhat stronger mid/upper level flow, but all in all, looks good enough for some severe and wouldn't be surprised if it spits out a few tornadoes.

Tuesday and Wednesday looks interesting from Ohio Valley to Northeast, then the 2nd storm seems strong, i think the GFS doesn't have the right solution, i think a stronger storm system with a substantial severe threat will bring in a fall type weather

You mean Monday/Tuesday with the first system?

As for the second system dropping out of the Prairies, the NAM has the LLJ outrunning the best instability on Wednesday so that would likely be a no-show, just FYI.

You mean Monday/Tuesday with the first system?

As for the second system dropping out of the Prairies, the NAM has the LLJ outrunning the best instability on Wednesday so that would likely be a no-show, just FYI.

Yes, that's what i mean, Monday and Tuesday i haven't checked the dates, and we have to keep an eye later in the week

Tuesday and Wednesday looks interesting from Ohio Valley to Northeast, then the 2nd storm seems strong, i think the GFS doesn't have the right solution, i think a stronger storm system with a substantial severe threat will bring in a fall type weather

You've said every single "event" since you joined the board would be substantial, along with hyping your backyard, and being wrong over and over again, russellweatherman.

You've said every single "event" since you joined the board would be substantial, along with hyping your backyard, and being wrong over and over again, russellweatherman.

hyping, hyping, i say it's a possible event, and quit calling me russellweatherman, lol, come on, we talk about weather on here for fun

hyping, hyping, i say it's a possible event, and quit calling me russellweatherman, lol, come on, we talk about weather on here for fun

You always using the words like "significant", "substantial" and whatnot about every setup isn't going to make it seem this way.

It is getting annoying. Words like "Significant", "Outbreak", and "Substantial" are not meant to be thrown around or taken lightly, especially when no real basis is given. Wishcasting doesn't make things happen. It HAS been boring, but at least wait for November.

Just like you posted in the MA forum, that you think the Day 3 see text will produce supercells and tornadoes because there's spin in the atmosphere? lol

It is getting annoying. Words like "Significant", "Outbreak", and "Substantial" are not meant to be thrown around or taken lightly, especially when no real basis is given. Wishcasting doesn't make things happen. It HAS been boring, but at least wait for November.

November?

November?

Yup I am counting down. Usually a pretty productive month. Most years have at least one significant event in November. 2005 had 4 in a row in fact. November is the peak of Fall severe season, and usually favors Dixie Alley and the Ohio Valley. But the November 1992 outbreak badly damaged the Houston metro, and the November 7-8 2011 event caused that crazy long track tornadic supercell in Oklahoma.

Yup I am counting down. Usually a pretty productive month. Most years have at least one significant event in November. 2005 had 4 in a row in fact. November is the peak of Fall severe season, and usually favors Dixie Alley and the Ohio Valley. But the November 1992 outbreak badly damaged the Houston metro, and the November 7-8 2011 event caused that crazy long track tornadic supercell in Oklahoma.

Uh, 2002? Big time outbreak on the eve of Veterans Day.

Also, 2006 has been brought up as an analog quite consistently with the pattern we are in and there was a significant event in late August and two in mid/late September of that year. October has had a handful of interesting events rather recently as well.

Uh, 2002? Big time outbreak on the eve of Veterans Day.

Also, 2006 has been brought up as an analog quite consistently with the pattern we are in and there was a significant event in late August and two in mid/late September of that year. October has had a handful of interesting events rather recently as well.

Yeah I remember when that happened. I was in Sandusky, OH when that happened, as nearby Port Clinton was getting wiped out. Sky turned chocolate brown, it was pretty bizarre.

IMO best chance of severe would be during the Thursday time frame. Pay attention to what happens on Wednesday in the Upper Mississippi Valley, that may give your the best clue, I started a severe thread in the Western States sub forum a few days ago with the possibility of severe weather, it only garnered one response, and I never called for a severe outbreak here, only that severe was possible. Watch the timing of the system as it progress's through MN on Wednesday and if the storms break out pre or post frontal passage. And I have questions about the low level moisture (DP's) that the models are spitting out. Seems to me that talk about a severe weather outbreak is way to mature.

Thursday does look like the best day. Strong low/associated cold front. Parameters including shear are pretty supportive of damaging winds if strong storms can form but the GFS hints at a lack of CAPE for areas with the best forcing and favourable wind fields. If we can get more CAPE in areas of the Great Lakes, could be interesting.

Yeah I remember when that happened. I was in Sandusky, OH when that happened, as nearby Port Clinton was getting wiped out. Sky turned chocolate brown, it was pretty bizarre.

In 2006, there were some fairly decent severe events across the east between August and December of 2006

Archived