• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Delaware Valley Severe/Strong/Lightning Threat Thread

phlwx

I don't see any big sever threat in the area over the next few days. With pulsers and high PW, we will get flooding rain/lots of lightning/iso downbursts. But other than that, not a big deal. The forecasts put out by the SPC forecaster DIAL are a joke. He is easily the worst forecaster they have. Not surprised to see his forecast changed so much with the newer outlook.

A few days ago today looked better regarding strong to severe thunderstorm potential, however things change and the outlook was adjusted accordingly. I could see a storm or two arriving from the west potentially being strong enough to produce a warning. Tomorrow looks to potentially be a mess with a few things possibly occurring, including pockets of downbursts and bowing segments. This will ultimately depend on the amount of instability that develops, but given the forecast soundings and the synoptic setup at this point the SPC outlook looks pretty good (i.e. low end slight risk for mainly damaging winds).

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few days ago today looked better regarding strong to severe thunderstorm potential, however things change and the outlook was adjusted accordingly. I could see a storm or two arriving from the west potentially being strong enough to produce a warning. Tomorrow looks to potentially be a mess with a few things possibly occurring, including pockets of downbursts and bowing segments. This will ultimately depend on the amount of instability that develops, but given the forecast soundings and the synoptic setup at this point the SPC outlook looks pretty good (i.e. low end slight risk for mainly damaging winds).

Low end is the key to your post.

I'm just saying the slight risk for our area is not warrented. We had a slight risk the other day and it worked out fine. But I dont see other than this being a big heavy rain threat and iso downbursts a big deal. thats all.

Well if there ends up being more sunshine/instability tomorrow, then it could be a bigger deal.

Hey, Im entitled to my opinion. I'm going from past experience. After looking at all the parameters, I see no reason why we were in a slight risk. And that was as of last night on the 00z models. Same thing tonight.

I don't think it's ideal but there's enough there with CAPE to justify a low end slight...like I said earlier, the threat may end up being more downbursts in a heavy rain type thunderstorm than your typical supercell but 15% still means 85% chance we don't.

It's not like there's 30% being painted on the map in a day 3 or anything.

Well if there ends up being more sunshine/instability tomorrow, then it could be a bigger deal.

Agree completely with this. We could end up with a Sunday repeat if we get enough sun.

Hey, Im entitled to my opinion. I'm going from past experience. After looking at all the parameters, I see no reason why we were in a slight risk. And that was as of last night on the 00z models. Same thing tonight.

I didn't have a problem as much with you questioning the forecast, as I did with you completely calling DIAL a horrible forecaster, and the worst SPC has while doing it. Along with the fact it's still 1 1/2 days out and you're trashing him. You could end up looking pretty stupid in the end.

So this is where the big boy conversations are? In the overnights?...

I'm with Mike on this, with some event clearing and an increase in cape, could see a greater chance of some downbursts. Still not convinced of a widespread severe* event anywhere without decent shear and mid level drying.

And yet there is one entity out there (I won't name them) that is honking big time for Friday. The caveat to his (their) "outlook" is how much sun we see, but they are the only ones who seem to be going all out for this event.

Good man Voyager- do not want to tarnish their reputation with some of the comments on this board

And yet there is one entity out there (I won't name them) that is honking big time for Friday. The caveat to his (their) "outlook" is how much sun we see, but they are the only ones who seem to be going all out for this event.

you mean the one that has the bullseye for a "dangerous severe weather event" and wrote a mesoscale discussion for it?

Yeah, I don't either, as I like them. It'll be interesting to see who wins out on this one.

Said person *could* be right but it's assuming we have a repeat of Sunday around here where the sun holds out much of the day and we get one big line of thunder to fire in Central PA. That would be how his scenario would play out.

you mean the one that has the bullseye for a "dangerous severe weather event" and wrote a mesoscale discussion for it?

Said person *could* be right but it's assuming we have a repeat of Sunday around here where the sun holds out much of the day and we get one big line of thunder to fire in Central PA. That would be how his scenario would play out.

Yes, and I do believe that's what he is basing his outlook on. Time will tell what eventually develops.

Yes, and I do believe that's what he is basing his outlook on. Time will tell what eventually develops.

Am not a fan of creating "products" that mimic official nws/spc/HPC/NHC outlooks in titling and appearance... but I don't dispute what he wrote with the exception that it is very touch and go...IF there is more sun on Friday, he ends up closer to reality.

Why are we dancing around who issued this forecast?

Because of how harsh people can be at times on this forum. If he/they want to come on here and post or share, that's fine. I am not, and I hope others feel the same way. I posted what I posted for discussion puropses since many don't see this as a major threat, and this guy does. Who he/they are is irrelevent. Someone will be right and someone will be wrong. I suppose it may have been best not to post it at all.

Because of how harsh people can be at times on this forum. If he/they want to come on here and post or share, that's fine. I am not, and I hope others feel the same way. I posted what I posted for discussion puropses since many don't see this as a major threat, and this guy does. Who he/they are is irrelevent. Someone will be right and someone will be wrong. I suppose it may have been best not to post it at all.

Yeah I don't know why we're dancing around this issue. If you are just repeating what he said, then there should be no reason to hide his identity.

If you are bashing them, then I can understand why you would hide their identity.

But if you are just sharing thoughts, unless they are copyrighted, no reason not to reveal who it is.

Archived