• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pottstown or quakertown

tombo82685

well if something goes wrong with the septic tank or well water its on you. Not like public water where its on aqua. Also, im pretty sure you have to test your well pretty often. The reason why i like quakertown, is because you get the elev, rural setting and you get all the shops and what not on 309. You get the best of both worlds.

14 years and no expense on the septic or well. Nada. Can it happen? Yeah, but it didn't. Testing is usually done yearly and might cost $100. From what people pay for sewer and water, well and septic is CHEAP with capital letters. Besides, when you get the house inspection done, make sure those items are in good shape so they don't fail. Really, I think you're living in fear of something that doesn't exist. I actually miss well and septic. If you have a UV filter and filtration and such on your water, you shouldn't have an issue with water quality.

As for shopping, you are ten minutes from Emmaus and Trexlertown with more shopping than you could ever want. Again, take a drive and see for yourself.

Edit: Every five years would get septic tank cleaned out for around $250.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know ptw itself does horrible in winter being on the skook river valley and low elev. But areas like 5 or so miles north of them jump in elev pretty good. Im curious to see how those areas manage,

Yeah, if you get northeast of Pottstown/Limerick...you get some elevation for sure (I remember driving around in the October snowstorm and seeing 2x the amount as the PTW area, but you don't have what Quakertown has in terms of shopping, restaraunts and ease to major highways when you are in a place like Gilbertsville or New Hanover.

Good point. I knew someone who lived in Hereford and drove all the way down to Audubon/Norristown area for work.

I'm guessing any of those higher elevation areas that were clobbered by the October snowstorm probably end up with 45-50 inches of snow a year.

Well I live in Ancient Oaks, five miles from Bear Creek. I traveled every day for six years from the house to Eagleville at Lower Providence Township. I can tell you the best place to live to see snow is at the top of Reservoir Hill Rd near between Alburtis and Bear Creek. Elevation snows are pretty good.Once you get past East Greenville on Rt 29, Spinnerstown in Bucks County near Quakertown and Bally in Montgomery County, I call this the changeover line, usually sleet. freezing rain and rain on south. Taking Rt 100 to Rt 422 is pretty quick to the Philly area but remember the commute in the changeover area is hell to drive in, regardless of the heavy traffic. The best bet is to live near the Quakertown Turnpike exit- better commute and roads are great on the turnpike in winter conditions. Lower Milford Township in Lehigh County, Spinnerstown and Milford Township are good areas to live in and close to the turnpike ramps

Well I live in Ancient Oaks, five miles from Bear Creek. I traveled every day for six years from the house to Eagleville at Lower Providence Township. I can tell you the best place to live to see snow is at the top of Reservoir Hill Rd near between Alburtis and Bear Creek. Elevation snows are pretty good.Once you get past East Greenville on Rt 29, Spinnerstown in Bucks County near Quakertown and Bally in Montgomery County, I call this the changeover line, usually sleet. freezing rain and rain on south. Taking Rt 100 to Rt 422 is pretty quick to the Philly area but remember the commute in the changeover area is hell to drive in, regardless of the heavy traffic. The best bet is to live near the Quakertown Turnpike exit- better commute and roads are great on the turnpike in winter conditions. Lower Milford Township in Lehigh County, Spinnerstown and Milford Township are good areas to live in and close to the turnpike ramps

I can agree to this. If the commute is the most important thing, then live in Spinnerstown/Q-town. If weather is more important, live near Bear Creek and accept the extra 20 minute commute time.

Good info.

Yeah, if you get northeast of Pottstown/Limerick...you get some elevation for sure (I remember driving around in the October snowstorm and seeing 2x the amount as the PTW area, but you don't have what Quakertown has in terms of shopping, restaraunts and ease to major highways when you are in a place like Gilbertsville or New Hanover.

Pennsburg would be a great area -- 7 minutes from the turnpike, 25 minutes from Allentown, 25 minutes from Plymouth Meeting.

When we were house hunting a number of years back it was one of the spots we looked at quite a bit.

Pennsburg is probably one of the "gold" spots in Montco for snow and they seem to get pwned with more severe than Pottstown.

Pennsburg would be a great area -- 7 minutes from the turnpike, 25 minutes from Allentown, 25 minutes from Plymouth Meeting.

When we were house hunting a number of years back it was one of the spots we looked at quite a bit.

Pennsburg is probably one of the "gold" spots in Montco for snow and they seem to get pwned with more severe than Pottstown.

Yeah, it has a nice cozy "downtown" (something I wish we had in our neck of the woods)....but again it's surrounded by a very rural area with more country folk than suburban folk (in my opinion).

I'd draw MY northern fringe line from Harleysville to Douglasville. I need to be south of there in suburbia land.

looks like you're facing the Little Lehigh in that video. The strange thing about being at the bottom of the valley is that we'd get colder for the icing events, which is never a good thing. I don't have that worry now.

Real prone to ice fog on below zero nights because the stream is so warm in the winter- never has been frozen over.

tom, if you like beer then spinnerstown inn is your place.

good food also.

ps, you already lived in q-town last year for a few days.

yea i know and i loved it there. Its a tough decision. You can get more for your buck housing wise in the pottstown area but q town has the winter and 309 lol

yea i know and i loved it there. Its a tough decision. You can get more for your buck housing wise in the pottstown area but q town has the winter and 309 lol

if you lean towards Pottstown, look at going up more towards Gilbertsville/Boyertown and less towards the borough itself. Borough ain't in good shape...Gilbertsville got pwned in Snowtober.

if you lean towards Pottstown, look at going up more towards Gilbertsville/Boyertown and less towards the borough itself. Borough ain't in good shape...Gilbertsville got pwned in Snowtober.

yea i know the borough is in shambles. I was looking in upper pottsgrove area. Their is a ridge in that area where elv is in the 400-530 range which should help when ptw is having issues accumulating snow like in the october snow.

yea i know the borough is in shambles. I was looking in upper pottsgrove area. Their is a ridge in that area where elv is in the 400-530 range which should help when ptw is having issues accumulating snow like in the october snow.

if you can find a place near Ringing Rocks or Maugers Mill Road you'll do well...those are the "high" spots of Upper Pottsgrove. "Halfway House" off of 100 and Farmington Avenue is another elevated spot...there's housing off that interchange and you'd be 5 minutes from the "sprawl mall" at Upland Village.

if you can find a place near Ringing Rocks or Maugers Mill Road you'll do well...those are the "high" spots of Upper Pottsgrove. "Halfway House" off of 100 and Farmington Avenue is another elevated spot...there's housing off that interchange and you'd be 5 minutes from the "sprawl mall" at Upland Village.

the thing that blows about q town, is i would be paying 300 bucks a month in tolls and gas which blows big time. Pa tpk authority would love me.

All in all......the suburbs of Philadelphia are a great place to live (other than dealing with Philly sports fans :pimp: )

The suburbs of Philly are pretty nice aesthetically, but the traffic just gets under my skin. Too many old "cow paths" that have become major arteries, too many traffic lights, and overall just too much traffic for a lot of the roads to handle in the first place. I'm talking specificanlly about Bucks County as I've driven there a lot. For me, it's just one of the most difficult places to drive (especially a large truck).

Other than my perception of the driving conditions, I don't have anything else bad to say about the 'burbs.

Then again you can go 10 minutes SW of PTW into northern Chesco and find quite a bit of 800' elevations that do quite well in elevation snow events.

In the October snow I had 4.5" at my house @ 350', but I could walk up my hill to 740' and had double that.

Went to Yocco's in Macungie a while back and was very disappointed...

My well and septic have been running without incident (except for septic cleaning - $300 every few years) since 1986. I only have a sediment

filter on the well water.

The suburbs of Philly are pretty nice aesthetically, but the traffic just gets under my skin. Too many old "cow paths" that have become major arteries, too many traffic lights, and overall just too much traffic for a lot of the roads to handle in the first place. I'm talking specificanlly about Bucks County as I've driven there a lot. For me, it's just one of the most difficult places to drive (especially a large truck).

Other than my perception of the driving conditions, I don't have anything else bad to say about the 'burbs.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine having to drive a truck around this area.

I've learned to expect traffic for what it is around here (which is crap). I grew up having multiple train lines at my disposable from Long Island to NYC. Nowadays, I'd have to drive to Norristown (no thanks) or Lansdale or Paoli (too far) to get a train into Philly. That's pretty sad for the number of people living in the northwest suburbs. As for highways, peak hours are a nightmare for sure....but that the case for many suburbs of big cities. With more and more homes building up along 422 things will only get worse too. My wife and I have learned to manage back roads to as much of an advantage as we can and it has helped a fair amount. With that said, things could be ALOT better.

Thought i would ask this question. I don't really know the climate of pottstown to well, well just north of that area. Im looking to buy a house and be in before winter kicks in. Their are two areas of interest that i have. one is the north of pottstown and just south of gilbertsville. The other is the quakertown area. Now quakertown has the elevation and the latitude. Though some area just out of pottstown which im looking at are in the 400-530 ft range. So my question is which is better in terms of snow wise?

Quakertown.

Tom, don't worry yourself with well and septic. I have a 4 year old home in Wrightstown Bucks County and it has both (Wrightstown has no public water or sewer. Couple good point:

1. No water bill (just your electric cost to run the pump)

2. Your township taxes will be lower without the added expense of maintaining a system.

3. The water tastes much better and is always cold

The bad:

1. Not as much water pressure (this is big if you lie to water your lawn)

2. Should sample the well at least once a year

As for what you can do to make sure your water is clean? I have a sediment filter, UV lamp and carbon filtration. My water tastes wonderful!

Most places in chester county average over 30 inches of snow annually. Hibernia Park near Coatesville had over 9 inches of snow from the October storm and had nearly 5 times as much snow as Philly did last season.

yea chester county is pretty decent. Only thing is its pretty costly to live there, atleast its out of my budget. Being that its only my income that is paying for this. I have actually been looking in berks county to in the douglassville to boyertown area. Its a little less mile wise from my work to quakertown. How does that part of berks do winter wise?

yea chester county is pretty decent. Only thing is its pretty costly to live there, atleast its out of my budget. Being that its only my income that is paying for this. I have actually been looking in berks county to in the douglassville to boyertown area. Its a little less mile wise from my work to quakertown. How does that part of berks do winter wise?

doesn't really show topography sweet spots in the SE part of the state, but here's the best I could find:

annualsnow.gif

yea thats what i was looking at to. Who knows how accurate that is.

for local topgraphy, probably not at all good for your use. As I said earlier in the thread, there are places in the heart of the 30-40" range that I know receive probably an average of 50"+ a year. Most of that range sits at 250-400 feet elevation. The higher terrain is at 800-1,000 feet. Big difference in most situations, and to the good side I might add.

Archived