• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pottstown or quakertown

tombo82685

yea chester county is pretty decent. Only thing is its pretty costly to live there, atleast its out of my budget. Being that its only my income that is paying for this. I have actually been looking in berks county to in the douglassville to boyertown area. Its a little less mile wise from my work to quakertown. How does that part of berks do winter wise?

The 800+ elevations in NW Chesco carry over into southern Berks with a few spots over 1000'.

I'm about 8 miles as the crow flies from the intersection of Chester, Berks and Lancaster counties

near Elverson.

Take a trip to French Creek State Park (rte 23 E, rte 345 N) and you'll think you're in the mountains.

And real estate does drop off significantly (not as much as it used to) once you cross the county line into Berks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 800+ elevations in NW Chesco carry over into southern Berks with a few spots over 1000'.

I'm about 8 miles as the crow flies from the intersection of Chester, Berks and Lancaster counties

near Elverson.

Take a trip to French Creek State Park (rte 23 E, rte 345 N) and you'll think you're in the mountains.

And real estate does drop off significantly (not as much as it used to) once you cross the county line into Berks.

yea i have noticed that. The taxes are so much lower out there compared to like the quakertown or around the pottstown area.

yea chester county is pretty decent. Only thing is its pretty costly to live there, atleast its out of my budget. Being that its only my income that is paying for this. I have actually been looking in berks county to in the douglassville to boyertown area. Its a little less mile wise from my work to quakertown. How does that part of berks do winter wise?

I'm not quite sure on last year,but on average they usually get about the same as Coatesville which is generally in the low to mid thirties snowfall a season.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I live at 900' just outside of Hereford township I might as well add to the discussion. Last year in October, I had 12" on the driveway, compacted......(I just measured at the end of the storm, no snowboards) Given that the pavement probably melted some of the snow......I can say that 16" reading from Huffs Church which is just 3 minuntes SW of me on this ridge was probably correct. From time to time storms like this do happen. (heh, my memory is foggy on the year, but we had 6" of wet snow during a different October sometime in the 2000's as well, probably like 2005-2008?) (EDIT: It was NOT the storm that happened during the 08' World Series, it was an earlier year.)

However, these type of elevation events where the differences are huge as compared to the valley, aren't reliable enough to count on happening every year. I'd say it averages one good storm that makes a BIG difference every 2-3 years. (I lived up here for 34 years, that's a good sized sampling ;) ) Most years you get some storms where the elevation makes an 1-2" difference maybe a couple of times a year.

Now that was as far as rain vs snow/ no sticking ect. There is also a slight oragraphic enhancement at times. If a storm's western/northern fringe is near here, you might get a few inches here, and pretty much a dusting in the Lehigh Valley. If it's a changeover event thats more of a north/south, inland (storm driven at elevations far higher than these hills) then we will make out a few inches better then just SE in upper Montco/Bucks at times as well. (this varies from hardly a difference to several inches.)

Having had said all of these wonderful things.....there are many years where there simply isn't much difference from say, Bally to Allentown in seasonal snowfall, us "high elevations" included. I would say 50/50 on that. Someone had mention some of these near 1000' elevations averaging 50 inches a year......I don't know about that. I'd say it's about low 40's, 45" at best.

When it comes to T-Storms, the area isn't bad. The only thing that is really cool here though is being higher seems to make lightning do CTG a little easier. The clouds can look cooler being a bit closer to them as well. (May 13. 2000 they got halfway down the treetops!! Man I wish I had taken pictures/video :( ) Of course, 99% of the time they don't get that low, so probably not a big factor. Wind doesn't seem any worse really, it just seems to have a slightly higher sustainability. (if Allentown is 15/25, we might be 19/26) The thunder does seem cool echoing in the Lehigh Valley as they approach. (I'm like 200 yards from the edge of the hill)

To sum it up, these aren't mountains, just hills. There are slight enhancements in the weather from time to time, once in awhile you can actually notice. In my older age I'm not caring so much about such things now.......if I had to do it again I probably would have opted for a more convenient location. Since I'm already here........ :) (I may be moving in the next few years though :( )

Archived