• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pottstown or quakertown

tombo82685

Thought i would ask this question. I don't really know the climate of pottstown to well, well just north of that area. Im looking to buy a house and be in before winter kicks in. Their are two areas of interest that i have. one is the north of pottstown and just south of gilbertsville. The other is the quakertown area. Now quakertown has the elevation and the latitude. Though some area just out of pottstown which im looking at are in the 400-530 ft range. So my question is which is better in terms of snow wise?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought i would ask this question. I don't really know the climate of pottstown to well, well just north of that area. Im looking to buy a house and be in before winter kicks in. Their are two areas of interest that i have. one is the north of pottstown and just south of gilbertsville. The other is the quakertown area. Now quakertown has the elevation and the latitude. Though some area just out of pottstown which im looking at are in the 400-530 ft range. So my question is which is better in terms of snow wise?

I would consider Q-town slightly better, although I've noticed over the years that Q-town receives less winter weather at times than the LV which is just to the north. Another mini fall line of sorts. If you really want snow but be only an extra 30 minutes from Pottstown, go up rte 100 and try either the Hereford or the Bear Creek ski lodge areas. They have great t-storm weather in summer as well, and the elevation in winter provides higher end snow events.

I would consider Q-town slightly better, although I've noticed over the years that Q-town receives less winter weather at times than the LV which is just to the north. Another mini fall line of sorts. If you really want snow but be only an extra 30 minutes from Pottstown, go up rte 100 and try either the Hereford or the Bear Creek ski lodge areas. They have great t-storm weather in summer as well, and the elevation in winter provides higher end snow events.

thanks for the reply. Well it makes sense that q-town recieves less than the lv, further north. Only thing about those locations you gave is, im up at 515 am now im like 25 mins from work. So moving to that location i would have to get up at like 415 lol

In terms of strictly snowy weather.....I'd give the edge to Quakertown. Higher elevations and a touch closer to the Eastern Seaboard for coastal storms.

Also, since it's a bit further north I'd bet they get more flurries/snow showers as well.

Weather aside, I'd still rather live near PTW. A bit too rural for me that far north.

thanks for the reply. Well it makes sense that q-town recieves less than the lv, further north. Only thing about those locations you gave is, im up at 515 am now im like 25 mins from work. So moving to that location i would have to get up at like 415 lol

LOL. If you're actually looking at Spinnerstown, then you're only about 4 miles from Hereford and 7 miles from Bear Creek. It would maybe add 15 minutes to your commute. I used to live in Alburtis near Bear Creek, and the ride to the 663 junction with the NE Extension is only 15-18 minutes. The area from Hereford to Bear Creek is near 1,000 ft in elevation, so you'd get some good events with only a slight inconvenience in time. Seriously, drive around up there and see for yourself. Prices of homes may be more advantageous as well.

LOL. If you're actually looking at Spinnerstown, then you're only about 4 miles from Hereford and 7 miles from Bear Creek. It would maybe add 15 minutes to your commute. I used to live in Alburtis near Bear Creek, and the ride to the 663 junction with the NE Extension is only 15-18 minutes. The area from Hereford to Bear Creek is near 1,000 ft in elevation, so you'd get some good events with only a slight inconvenience in time. Seriously, drive around up there and see for yourself. Prices of homes may be more advantageous as well.

Very true. Again, you have to deal with being in the middle of nowhere....but if it's potential snow and tranquility you want...that's the spot.

Very true. Again, you have to deal with being in the middle of nowhere....but if it's potential snow and tranquility you want...that's the spot.

the lansdale area is nice, but the housing is pretty exspensive. Its just me living in this no other income. Quakertown is not as bad as you think. The 309 corridor there has tons of stores and what not.

the lansdale area is nice, but the housing is pretty exspensive. Its just me living in this no other income. Quakertown is not as bad as you think. The 309 corridor there has tons of stores and what not.

Yeah, I've been through Quakertown plenty there is a TON of stuff off 309.....it's just too far removed from Philly for me.

Yes, for SE PA, it is in the middle of nowhere. It is not for everybody.

I love peace and quiet myself......I'm sort of on the fringe of suburbia here. I think I need to have a job in Allentown to be ok with living in the Quakertown/Hereford area. If work is focused more along the 422 or 76 corridor it's just alot easier to be further south. If only there was a m

major highway connecting 78 to 422 (Rt. 100 doesn't count) :)

All in all......the suburbs of Philadelphia are a great place to live (other than dealing with Philly sports fans :pimp: )

I'd choose this location over any place I've lived thus far in terms of all around quality. As for the weather, sure I'd love closer 50 inches of snow a year, but 25 on average will do. Atleast that provides some excitement in the winter.

no spinnerstown is nw bucks co. I just mapped that drive says about 17 mins on rt 29 from hereford. Also, if you get in the boonies there i don't want a private sewer and well water. That is a nice area though.

so it is. I never would have thought it was in Bucks. Yeah, many places have well and septic up that way, but not everyone. Did well and septic for 14 years, and wish I still had it. Why don't you like well and septic? My wife was anti well and septic and now she's an advocate.

Still, Hereford is only 17 minutes from the turnpike.

so it is. I never would have thought it was in Bucks. Yeah, many places have well and septic up that way, but not everyone. Did well and septic for 14 years, and wish I still had it. Why don't you like well and septic? My wife was anti well and septic and now she's an advocate.

Hereford can also get you to the western fringes of NYC in roughly 90 minutes. That's pretty awesome in itself.

I love peace and quiet myself......I'm sort of on the fringe of suburbia here. I think I need to have a job in Allentown to be ok with living in the Quakertown/Hereford area. If work is focused more along the 422 or 76 corridor it's just alot easier to be further south. If only there was a m

major highway connecting 78 to 422 (Rt. 100 doesn't count) :)

All in all......the suburbs of Philadelphia are a great place to live (other than dealing with Philly sports fans :pimp: )

I'd choose this location over any place I've lived thus far in terms of all around quality. As for the weather, sure I'd love closer 50 inches of snow a year, but 25 on average will do. Atleast that provides some excitement in the winter.

ABE only averages 35" a year. I mentioned the Bear Creek/Hereford area because they top out over 50" I would think given their elevation. I have a couple friends in those areas and they consistently beat my totals only a few miles away at 413 ft elevation.

You wouldn't want to live in Hereford and work in the LV. The highways don't go in that direction, and the morning/evening commutes work aganst you. It is actually better to go south from Hereford I would think.

Hereford can also get you to the western fringes of NYC in roughly 90 minutes. That's pretty awesome in itself.

true. I can get to NYC Port Authority in 90 minutes from Alburtis, which is roughly on par with Hereford to NYC. I could get to Philly airport in 70 minutes, and Hereford is 15 minutes closer. Maybe an hour tops from Hereford to Philly.

You wouldn't want to live in Hereford and work in the LV. The highways don't go in that direction, and the morning/evening commutes work aganst you. It is actually better to go south from Hereford I would think.

Good point. I knew someone who lived in Hereford and drove all the way down to Audubon/Norristown area for work.

I'm guessing any of those higher elevation areas that were clobbered by the October snowstorm probably end up with 45-50 inches of snow a year.

Good point. I knew someone who lived in Hereford and drove all the way down to Audubon/Norristown area for work.

I'm guessing any of those higher elevation areas that were clobbered by the October snowstorm probably end up with 45-50 inches of snow a year.

honestly, that area is the closest thing to being in the Poconos without being in the Poconos. And don't forget, they get kicka$$ t-storms as well. I was always sad looking at radar and seeing the Bear Creek area getting slammed by a thunderstorm while I only got the noise and light show. Bastards!!

Commute times to and from the quakertown area should only get better once they complete the widening of the extension up to lansdale then quakertown eliminating those accident that shut the roadway down due to how narrow it is.

Not sure if this helps with winter weather but any how I have Ice fished at lake nockmixon and lake towee during the winter and have found there to be just as much ice at towee as some of the places in the poconos or central pa that have fished during the same winters some times I have seen it up to a foot thick on colder winters. Really nice area up there in northwest bucks county.

well if something goes wrong with the septic tank or well water its on you. Not like public water where its on aqua. Also, im pretty sure you have to test your well pretty often. The reason why i like quakertown, is because you get the elev, rural setting and you get all the shops and what not on 309. You get the best of both worlds.

I think Tombo should move in or move next door to Grothar! They'd be one hell of a dynamic duo. Better than Smokeater and LMolineux. :sled:

I literally lived across a big cornfield from Grothar. 500 yards away. The weather wasnt as crazy as described as I'm sure you already surmised. I sometimes got a crazy-a$$ t-storm, only to find out later that I never got that rain and that we were still in a drought. Or the seveal times that he got 3" more in a snowstorm than I did. I have poor luck it seems.

Sweet! Sorry for all the off topic this thread.......like I said from the start Quakertown area appears to be your better bet (vs. PTW).

Good luck searching!

i dont think it was that off topic at all. I think im gonna go with q-town, unless someone has a really good arguement for the areas north of ptw. I know ptw itself does horrible in winter being on the skook river valley and low elev. But areas like 5 or so miles north of them jump in elev pretty good. Im curious to see how those areas manage,

I literally lived across a big cornfield from Grothar. 500 yards away. The weather wasnt as crazy as described as I'm sure you already surmised. I sometimes got a crazy-a$$ t-storm, only to find out later that I never got that rain and that we were still in a drought. Or the seveal times that he got 3" more in a snowstorm than I did. I have poor luck it seems.

My big question is how the hot dog stand nearby?

8854492_fd73d5850d.jpg

Archived