Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mt. Holly Severe Threats

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Debris clouds moving in- may hold max temps in check. My pocono high of 99 is shot to hell- still have a shot of record at Allentown if the clouds do not thicken in the afternoon

I don't think clouds will have much of an impact across extreme SE PA and S. Jerz where the NAM was showing 100+. We shall see....

97 here just before 1pm.

seems like storms about to enter NW Nj are weakening...maybe outrunning best instability for now? The one cell that developed NE of Williamsport is also diminishing....have to go back to western NY at this time to find a strengthening cluster

Thinking there will be a distinct screwzone near PHL where the front passes through during the night, unfortunately. You're not missing out on much though based on what has happened with this front, definitely not slight risk.

Thinking there will be a distinct screwzone near PHL where the front passes through during the night, unfortunately. You're not missing out on much though based on what has happened with this front, definitely not slight risk.

The slight risk is valid until 12z Sunday. The height falls and stronger mid to upper level winds still have to settle southward. Storms have struggled so far up north because of the better forcing has not arrived yet. Convective initiation is now taking place across southwestern New York State. Give it time.

The slight risk is valid until 12z Sunday. The height falls and stronger mid to upper level winds still have to settle southward. Storms have struggled so far up north because of the better forcing has not arrived yet. Convective initiation is now taking place across southwestern New York State. Give it time.

Yup, exactly. Watch being issued for W PA, and if the cells keep the same SE motion they have been taking all day, they should come right through our region.

4425cd4e-7be0-4b93.jpg

I'm not even sure why that watch was issued for our area...seems more logical that most of the severe will occur after 7PM.

That line that fizzled near you were severe NW of Scranton...the watch made sense for you and points east but personally think the LV was probably better served not in it...they may need to be in a watch later than that (as might you).

Dr Greg forbes at the weather channel just tweeted this.

A derecho (widespread thunderstorm damaging wind event) could drive from north-central to southeast PA, NJ, MD, DE thie afternoon, evening.

:axe:

Forbes really shouldn't do this...nothing like getting people all frothed up. I've already had to downplay the "d" word on twitter because of it.

Will there be severe? Absolutely...but this likely does not develop into a derecho. There's a big difference between a straight up line of severe storms and a derecho event.

:axe:

Forbes really shouldn't do this...nothing like getting people all frothed up. I've already had to downplay the "d" word on twitter because of it.

Will there be severe? Absolutely...but this likely does not develop into a derecho. There's a big difference between a straight up line of severe storms and a derecho event.

I dunno I just looked at the current mesoscale data - MCS maintainence, derecho measures are strong as are CAPE lift and pretty much everything else. Nothing off the charts but way, way better than anytime recently.

Still, the tops on that line are impressive. Anywhere from 25,000 up to 47,000 as the current time. One storm cell, currently heading toward western Schuylkill County, has 2.25" hail indicated with it per Wunderground. It's going to be an interesting 2-3 hours upcoming for the area.

I dunno I just looked at the current mesoscale data - MCS maintainence, derecho measures are strong as are CAPE lift and pretty much everything else. Nothing off the charts but way, way better than anytime recently.

Given that it happened a week ago, it's a pure hype statement. Just call it a line of severe storms and avoid throwing out doom and gloom sh*t.

Damage certainly is possible...just think you shouldn't call it one until it reaches that criteria or has bonafide signs of it. This isn't that clear cut...

I've seen better looking lines of severe storms NOT called a derecho than what's coming down...and this line's pretty impressive..

Given that it happened a week ago, it's a pure hype statement. Just call it a line of severe storms and avoid throwing out doom and gloom sh*t.

Damage certainly is possible...just think you shouldn't call it one until it reaches that criteria or has bonafide signs of it. This isn't that clear cut...

I've seen better looking lines of severe storms NOT called a derecho than what's coming down...and this line's pretty impressive..

He certainly got me worried. So you don't think this is a repeat of what DC had 8 days ago?

I don't know that we yet see the potential for widespread damage that mentioning a derecho would imply....though now that that cluster is moving through the williamsport area we should get some ground truth to better define the threat faced downstream over the next few hours.

I don't know that we yet see the potential for widespread damage that mentioning a derecho would imply....though now that that cluster is moving through the williamsport area we should get some ground truth to better define the threat faced downstream over the next few hours.

I'll be next in line. If I'm able to, I'll update on what conditions I observe.

Archived