Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mt. Holly Severe Threats

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like if we see anything tonight along the warm front/ boundary it would be from the convection firing up in Michigan. HRRR has a complex forming out of it moving southeast. Will I am a bit concerned with the weak mid level lapse rates. Mu cape looks to try and move in later on will see how that goes. I still like our threat being after midnight for elevated storms if we do see anything.

It sure looks like those storms (if the line holds together) will be here long before midnight.

The GFS and NAM had a broader area of relatively weak storms earlier in the period, some of the other models fizzled out this first batch and developed something derecho like moving out of the lakes overnight. Radar seems to be voting for the GFS...

The GFS and NAM had a broader area of relatively weak storms earlier in the period, some of the other models fizzled out this first batch and developed something derecho like moving out of the lakes overnight. Radar seems to be voting for the GFS...

Derecho like? A lot of people on different subforums are screaming derecho about every little thing they see on the models now. Not every complex being shown on the models is a derecho, lol. There's a reason why derecho's don't happen very often. Funny, no one ever talked about them before, but now since we got our 100 year storm, everybody is hyping them.

Derecho like? A lot of people on different subforums are screaming derecho about every little thing they see on the models now. Not every complex being shown on the models is a derecho, lol. There's a reason why derecho's don't happen very often. Funny, no one ever talked about them before, but now since we got our 100 year storm, everybody is hyping them.

At best this cluster shown on the GFS is at most an MCS like feature not a Derecho. Fizzles it out just near or over us.

A lot of people on different subforums are screaming derecho about every little thing they see on the models now. Not every complex being shown on the models is a derecho, lol.

I've noticed this as well. I'd be more than happy with a heavy downpour or "strong" thunderstorm in the next 24 hours...lots of people are becoming greedy :weenie:

Not so sure the complex developing in northwest pa and over lake Erie will make it here. Elevated instability is currently weak but trying to spread southeast. None the less it is going to be pretty close. As stated above it could very well fall apart right over us.

What is the speed of the system? A guess looks like 30-40mph?

In any event, it is slow enough here, at least for 2 balloonist who must not be concerned with even a minor gust front as a threat. Forget the data, this is a nowcast!

Sorry, I'll run my posts by you in the future. I was a little loose on derecho/MCS language. The complex that just fell apart that I've been talking about all day was in western Michigan early this AM, so that certainly qualifies it as a long duration event, probably made it 400 miles. It is running along the edge of the upper jet, which certainly makes it an MCS. No high straight line wind reports so i guess you win, no derecho.

There used to be a really good poster whose handle was derecho. That was probably a decade ago, so you know, derecho's do come up now and then.

I guess I thought the line that fizzled was the one that might arrive at around midnight. Guess I'll keep my eyes to the northwest, but I'm not expecting much, though I'm hoping for a nice fireworks display 24 hours early!

The RPM model stormspotter talked about earlier in the day had exactly this scenario. Storm 1 fizzles out in central PA, storm two forms north and west and makes it just about to Philly's doorstep before fizzling. The new storms in NW PA look to pass west of Philly to me, but they are a long way away, we'll see. Haven't looked at any recent parameters, the numbers in the late afternoon were miserable for SE PA (or great if you like more dry weather) so I am pretty skeptical.

The RPM model stormspotter talked about earlier in the day had exactly this scenario. Storm 1 fizzles out in central PA, storm two forms north and west and makes it just about to Philly's doorstep before fizzling. The new storms in NW PA look to pass west of Philly to me, but they are a long way away, we'll see. Haven't looked at any recent parameters, the numbers in the late afternoon were miserable for SE PA (or great if you like more dry weather) so I am pretty skeptical.

Those Cells look the healthiest they have been since they formed and ramped up one time. I like their direction also.

the nam has shown this complex as sliding across the northern tier of pa and hitting nyc.... looks like it will be off on the trajectory. Like everyone else is saying and the models are showing im not sure how good this will be when it gets here. The surface based cape is increasing and pushing east with the warm front. That may be the only thing going for it. The LI is anemic, the lapse rates are bad. Their is some decent shear out in central and western pa in the order of 35 kts, not sure if that works its way southeast, that would help if it did.

I'd guess it's probabilistic so you get two in a week and nothing for ten years.

In other news, the GFS from 180 on out is really wet. That's good news, cause if we dont get something in the next 24 hours, its gonna be a while.

the 12z euro through 10 days only has .1-.25 of rain...eeek.

the thing though you would have to see with this map is what they classify a derecho as. Like you i was shocked to see 1 every 2 years, cause i can;t remember the last one that affected the region.

Yeah, I remember 98' which nailed all of the Northeast.....then I figured there was probably 1, if not 2 between 2000-2011. So, that's 2-3 in roughly 14 years......or 1 in 5-7 years.

1 in 4 years, or 1 in 2 years is definetely more than I thought.

Like you said though, the intensity of the derecho for those maps is unknown.

Not sure if it would be classified as a derecho or not for the purposes of climatology on the map, but I do recall a pretty good thunderstorm complex coming through Memorial Day weekend of 2011, early in the morning in central NJ... early like 6am early on the 30th

corrected year to 2011

Nice map. I would have guessed 1 in 10 years around here.

There were years (1998) where we had two derechos pass pretty close to the region -- one caused the severe outbreak that dropped a F3 in Berks County, second was the Labor Day event. '98 makes up for the years where we don't get any at all.

There were years (1998) where we had two derechos pass pretty close to the region -- one caused the severe outbreak that dropped a F3 in Berks County, second was the Labor Day event. '98 makes up for the years where we don't get any at all.

Yeah, I was in western NY for round #1. I know round #2 rolled through the Philly and NYC area from what I've seen in archives.

Archived