• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
May 20 Solar Eclipse

Hoosier

There will be annular solar eclipse on May 20. Although the annular path doesn't affect this subforum, everyone here will have an opportunity to see a partial eclipse provided the weather cooperates. The standout solar eclipse event for me was the May 1994 annular event. This one won't cover as much of the sun but will occur near sunset unlike the 1994 event. A partial sunset eclipse looks something like this:

partial-solar-eclipse-at-sunset.jpg

may20_2012eclpse_stell.png

Cool, looks like a partial eclipse here. Max partial eclipse (@ 8:19) would be 7 minutes after sunset. Something to look for.

Maximum eclipse is right at sunset in Madison, which might be kind of cool. Looks like 60% or greater which might be the biggest I've seen.

Weather could easily screw this up though.

Boy I hope not. I've got the perfect viewing place out here in the country, and I'm too impatient to wait until 2017 for the next good one, haha.

I think there's another partial in 2014 or 2015, but yeah the big show will be in 2017. Sorta hard to plan 5 years ahead but I'm hoping that I will be able to put myself somewhere in the path of totality for that one. Want to see at least one total eclipse before I die. :P

I think there's another partial in 2014 or 2015, but yeah the big show will be in 2017. Sorta hard to plan 5 years ahead but I'm hoping that I will be able to put myself somewhere in the path of totality for that one. Want to see at least one total eclipse before I die. :P

Well if you can wait until April 2024, there will be a total eclipse even closer than the one in 2017. :lol:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html

The 2017 eclipse should be quite a show. Of course you can't predict where the clouds will be!

Looks like Paducah, KY will be the best place to be for that one!

SE2017Aug21T.GIF

I just remembered this is going on later. Storms are pretty likely here. Will have to have a lucky break in the clouds to see it I'm afraid.

If it looks like it's going to be clear around the WI/IA border I'm going to head there. Probably have to make that decision soon. It's already clearing in NW IA so there's some hope.

Just took this pic at sunset here at the shore. Unfortunately just a partial eclipse here. Basically, the best place to view one of these is over a lake, at maximum eclipse, just before sunset. So, some lake in West Texas is likely going to have some incredible pics.

7238000948_586767d9ea_z.jpg

Archived