• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
April 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

In the medium range spring discussion on the main forum, Don S (who has some pretty good credibility I think) just posted some pretty intriguing stuff... he's on the nino train it would seem. Top 2 summer analogs, 2002 and 2009... break out the popcorn...

Right now, 2002 and 2009 are among the emeging raw analogs that appear to have promise from an ENSO standpoint. There are some uglier ones, too, but today I cited two of the more attractive ones. I have not yet refined all the data. 2009 is a leading analog for the current month, so it's currently ahead of 2002. Overall, the continuing evolution of ENSO, among other factors, will be critical in seeing where things go.

FWIW, Winter 2009-2010 was the coldest winter in the contiguous 48 states since the epic 1978-79 winter (coldest on record) and the 15th coldest since 1895-96. 2009-10 had a temperature anomaly that was -0.993 standard deviations below the historic mean. Nationwide, 2002-03 actually was 0.591 standard deviations above the historic mean, but the cold was focused on the eastern half of the U.S. and snowfall was abundant there. The western half was much warmer than normal due, in part, to a very strong PDO+. That PDO+ is a red flag of sorts at this time.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the medium range spring discussion on the main forum, Don S (who has some pretty good credibility I think) just posted some pretty intriguing stuff... he's on the nino train it would seem. Top 2 summer analogs, 2002 and 2009... break out the popcorn...

:popcorn:

http://www.americanw...12/page__st__70

As far as the MJO going into the COD, Lacrosse has thoughts on the matter:

MUCH OF THIS HAS TO DEAL

WITH HOW THE MODELS ARE NOT HANDLING A MODERATE TO STRONG MADDEN

JULIAN OSCILLATION /CURRENTLY LOCATED OVER SOUTH AMERICA AND

ATLANTIC/. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE JAPANESE METEOROLOGY AGENCY

ENSEMBLE SYSTEM /JMAN/...MOST OF THE GLOBAL MODELS WIPE OUT THIS

MJO RAPIDLY BY EARLY NEXT WEEK. HOWEVER CONSIDERING ITS

STRENGTH...THIS SEEMS RATHER UNLIKELY. AS A RESULT...EXPECT A

BRIEF WARM UP AS WE ENTER PHASE 1 /OVER AFRICA/ BY THIS

WEEKEND...FOLLOWED BY YET ANOTHER COOL DOWN AS THE MJO STARTS INTO

THE WESTERN INDIAN OCEAN /PHASE 2/ BY THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK.

http://forecast.weat...on=1&glossary=1

Phase 2 fail.

ensplume_full.gif

Phase 2 fail.

ensplume_full.gif

Recall when the models had this going into phase 7 and looping back to 6 and then into 7 again and never seeing 8? Thus don't get too worked up about the model output. BTW the weeklies have flipped back to a much warmer look. Point is i would not get too worked up with modeling no matter what it is. It is all likely to change again and again etc etc etc. Usually how that works when we are in transition with enso etc.

Who says I don't like warm wx ya troll? I'd take a warm summer like 02 or a nice cool one like 09. No difference to me..

I don't care if it is warm or cool just give me some action ( not a tornado imby though :P ) is all i ask for.

Again 2009 wasn't so bad it's the ****ing rain every weekend that screwed that summer.

Personally THIS weather we have right now does nothing for me. I want some action. Does not matter if it is a snowstorm, heavy duty rains, or severe storms just give me something. Too f-ing dry for my liking either way.

Anything but a stinking hot humid airmass stuck in place for 3 months, please.

My least favorite kind of weather. I do prefer a wet pattern over a dry one. High dewpoints with no rain is just pointless it seems.

Personally THIS weather we have right now does nothing for me. I want some action. Does not matter if it is a snowstorm, heavy duty rains, or severe storms just give me something. Too f-ing dry for my liking either way.

This. Atleast I had a decent snow/sleet shower today but I'm getting pretty bored too.

LOL. As if 180 hours isn't enough. Just stop all models at 180. Then I wouldn't be tempted to look.

We have all seen crazy funny 300hr GFS fails/fantasys. Lol seen the GFS drop heights like that in mid July and raise summer like heights in winter. Its absolute garbage past D5-6. The ENS are easier to look at IMO. Lol

Twin Cities afternoon thoughts. I'd change the "chuckle" to "facepalm".

IN FACT...TODAY/S MODEL INDUCED CHUCKLE

CAME FROM THE GFS...WHICH PUT OUT OVER 4 INCHES OF SNOW AT EAU FOR

TUESDAY! IF THIS TREND CONTINUES WITH 11.00 MODELS...WILL PROBABLY

START SEEING THINGS GETTING COOLER AND WETTER MONDAY AND

TUESDAY...BUT WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE IF THIS BECOMES A TREND

WITH THE MODELS OR IS JUST A ONE HIT WONDER. FOR BEYOND...STILL

LOOKING LIKE THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF COLD AIR FOR US TO DEAL WITH

THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF APRIL AS THE GFS/ECMWF BUILD A RIDGE OVER

THE ROCKIES...WITH A COOL NW FLOW SETTING UP OVER THE CENTRAL

CONUS.

Archived