• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Predict your final March temperature anomaly

Hoosier

After a brief cooldown to something less absurdly above average, it looks like excessive warmth could return early next week. Given where we stand right now and where it looks like we're going toward the end of the month, my prediction is that LAF finishes March at +17.5, giving new meaning to the phrase well above average.

Just imagine if the new climate normals didn't go into effect until this summer. We could have tacked on another degree or two to these departures. I made a little excel spreadsheet to model the potential departures. If this heat spell breaks at the end of the week and the rest of the month has more typical highs around 50 and lows near 40, then the month will still end up +12.

I will play it conservative and go with +13 at CLE.

Just imagine if the new climate normals didn't go into effect until this summer. We could have tacked on another degree or two to these departures. I made a little excel spreadsheet to model the potential departures. If this heat spell breaks at the end of the week and the rest of the month has more typical highs around 50 and lows near 40, then the month will still end up +12.

I will play it conservative and go with +13 at CLE.

The problem is that it is looking like the heat will return next week after a brief cooldown to only above normal temps instead of outrageously above normal. I'll go with +16.8 for FWA.

The problem is that it is looking like the heat will return next week after a brief cooldown to only above normal temps instead of outrageously above normal. I'll go with +16.8 for FWA.

Yeah. Playing around with the numbers here, it's quite possible that the temperature anomaly will be so high, that not only will it blow the warmest March on record out of the water, but even give some of the top 5 warmest APRILS a run for their money.

I'm sure it's a similar situation across most of the Midwest. It will be interesting to see how this March compares to some of the record warm Aprils at certain sites.

LAF sitting at +17 through yesterday. The early week warmup is starting to look like it could be somewhat muted. If that occurs, my prediction may end up being a bit high.

:huh: You are at +17 and predicted 17.5. It hit 80 today and the next six days still look to be at least 10 degrees above normal. If I were you, I'd be worried about busting low.

:huh:  You are at +17 and predicted 17.5. It hit 80 today and the next six days still look to be at least 10 degrees above normal. If I were you, I'd be worried about busting low.

Strange to say it but any day that averages 10-15F above average will actually bring the departure down if only by a small amount each time. After today we should be around +17.5 give or take a tenth. I don't think I will bust horribly low but could see me being off by several tenths.

Strange to say it but any day that averages 10-15F above average will actually bring the departure down if only by a small amount each time. After today we should be around +17.5 give or take a tenth. I don't think I will bust horribly low but could see me being off by several tenths.

Yes, you are right. Without at least +17 departures, your monthly will go down. At least today may help bump you up a little.

I am really screwed unless the next ridge overproduces. I predicted +16.8 and FWA is only sitting at +15.3.

EDIT: ONLY +15.3 :lol:

I thought la Nina was supposed to bring us cooler then normal weather?

Yeah it usually does. Given the teleconnections and the stubborn MJO, the La Nina signal was muted over North America. Nothing about this winter over the continent was typical for a La Nina pattern.

Yeah it usually does. Given the teleconnections and the stubborn MJO, the La Nina signal was muted over North America. Nothing about this winter over the continent was typical for a La Nina pattern.

This has been the worst winter of my life in lower Michigan and the worst in my winter playground northern Michigan. So anything different then this is an improvement.

I thought la Nina was supposed to bring us cooler then normal weather?

Depends on a few things which it seems were overlooked by many this past winter when the outlooks flew out last fall. I kinda overlooked it myself but never really issued a outlook either as i did not have the desire nor the time to put the effort i like to in one.

Archived