• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Lion Roars: 2/29-3/1 Winter Storm

Logan11

I had some suspect stuff ..call it snow pellets or sleet, but when it picked up it was all good flakes again. I'm thinking it's function of intensity so not too worried once the better stuff gets here again later tonight. This looks like a pretty long lull though.

28.6 now. Just measured 4.8". The valley actually did better so far.

Pingers here...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 23Z RUC says what part 2 tonight. Hoping that convection down south doesn't rob all of the moisture. Don't PANIC!!!!! :unsure:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

local met

The 12km run of the WRF closes in on 2” of liquid equivalent over eastern Herkimer, Fulron and Montgo Cos. I don’t buy it.

latest ruc

http://ruc.noaa.gov/rucnew/displayMap.cgi?keys=ruc7t:&runtime=2012022923&plot_type=acsnw_t3sfc&fcst=24&time_inc=60&num_times=25&model=ruc&ptitle=RUC%20Model%20Fields&maxFcstLen=24&fcstStrLen=-1&domain=t3&adtfn=1&wjet=1

1000-500mb thckness is north of the area

http://www.spc.noaa.....php?sector=16#

Yep -- the low-mid levels are experiencing some rather intense warm air advection right now. The KALB 2351z ob did report all snow, but the 0051z ob included sleet. In fact, the sleet began at 0027z.

KALB 010051Z 00000KT 1SM R01/P6000FT -SNPL BR BKN005 OVC013 M01/M01 A2996 RMK AO2 PLB27 SLP149 P0004 T10061011

KALB 292351Z COR 00000KT 1SM -SN BR OVC005 M01/M01 A2996 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1 1/2 CIG 002V008 SLP150 4/004 P0000 60025 T10061011 10000 21017 56032

You can get a rough idea of temperature advection for various layers of the atmosphere at this page: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundings/12030100_OBS/

Look in the second column to the right of the Skew-T diagram. I don't know the accuracy of these temperature advection calculations, but I do know just from looking at the maps that WAA is ongoing ... so -1.9C could very well rise to values above 0C in ~27 minutes.

Gotta wait for the secondary low to develop and the 500 mb low to approach to give us the cooler air and upward vertical motion. :snowman:

I was hoping the convection would make it to ENY where it would be snow probably, but we have more cold air around here and even though the convection is elevated it should still fizzle before it gets here. Albany ironically didn't have the least snowy Dec, Jan, Feb on record because of our leap day snow today. But your right....this winter has been unbelievably sucky!!!

LOL, this isn't going to be snow. There could be some sleet mixed in though. This winter is honestly worse than anything I ever experienced in Allentown. I never had a single year without a storm of at least 6" there.

The GFS still putting out a good 1" of qpf in our back yards after 3Z and has a crazy max of 1.5" around Saratoga. So it must imply some serious echoes move through.

The cut off is very sharp to our south with only about .5" additional in southern Greene County so the way is clear for us to be screwed somewhat with a small shift north. The NAM was actually a little drier, but same scenario.

I was hoping the convection would make it to ENY where it would be snow probably, but we have more cold air around here and even though the convection is elevated it should still fizzle before it gets here. Albany ironically didn't have the least snowy Dec, Jan, Feb on record because of our leap day snow today. But your right....this winter has been unbelievably sucky!!!

Yeah, close call. hoping for a slight drift south overnight. Convection in N PA seems to have a decent easterly component to its motion. As coastal gets going radar should fill in nicely after midnight. Atm is primed and ready. Saratoga / Galway area have consistently been in the bulls-eye in the GFS and NAM runs as of late.

The GFS still putting out a good 1" of qpf in our back yards after 3Z and has a crazy max of 1.5" around Saratoga. So it must imply some serious echoes move through.

The cut off is very sharp to our south with only about .5" additional in southern Greene County so the way is clear for us to be screwed somewhat with a small shift north. The NAM was actually a little drier, but same scenario.

As if this winter weren't frustrating enough, I learned a few days ago that I'd have to leave town on business. I hopped a plane to Virginia at 10am this morning... and won't get back into town until Friday evening... just in time for Saturday's rain and melt fest. I was greeted with a 60 degree rain upon my arrival here today. I can't describe how frustrating this is. :ee:

Enjoy the snow all of you. It's well deserved.

Aw man, I hate when I go away and it snows up here. I feel your pain man. Tracked snow up here several times from my parents place in Florida. The best was Dec 25/26 2002. We go to the Albany airport and all flights were cancelled. Drove home in a whiteout and played in the awesome storm and got down to Florida 2 days late in 1st class seats. Best of both worlds!

As if this winter weren't frustrating enough, I learned a few days ago that I'd have to leave town on business. I hopped a plane to Virginia at 10am this morning... and won't get back into town until Friday evening... just in time for Saturday's rain and melt fest. I was greeted with a 60 degree rain upon my arrival here today. I can't describe how frustrating this is. :ee:

Enjoy the snow all of you. It's well deserved.

Yeah, it didn't pick it up well at all. And I too will have to wait and see in the morning. Still fearing precip is overdone and warm air underdone. A shade over 4" so far, so still one of the better vents this winter.

Thanks HubbDave, we'll see how it goes...many of us here are straddling that line. Looks great for you out there in North. MA tomorrow!

Looks awesome out there, guys,

Their point and click grids have caused some very funky outputs over the couple years since they've been introduced.

Precips starting to blossom just to the southwest..

The NWS forecast grid drives me nuts sometimes. My point and click calls for snow/sleet becoming all snow after 4am...then tomorrows forecast starts with snow/rain becoming all snow after 2pm.

Archived