joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Lion Roars: 2/29-3/1 Winter Storm

Logan11

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could live in an 18z NAM fantasy world. 12-18" region wide would be sweet. But I'm not sure we see more than 2-4" with the first wave. Thermal profiles dictate what we see beyond that...hopefully another couple inches Thu/Thu night...but I'm not sold on that just yet.

FWIW...Albany's daily snowfall record for tomorrow is just 0.8"...so this event could be a record breaker.

I can't believe this model spits this out 15 hours before the storm. Way overdone on precip obviously, and am still very worried about taint at some point...but pretty to look at.

I think the 0z looks a bit warmer in mid layers than previous runs, so your concerns are warranted. Plus side is 18z GFS was a touch cooler. We may be converging in a solution finally.

Probably one not much different than what the NWS has forecasted at the moment. Still, should rival my crippling 5" snowfall back in January for heaviest of the season.

Edit: pulled up bufkit and saw that as well. Both NAM and GFS are rather stubborn, will give them that.

I think the 0z looks a bit warmer in mid layers than previous runs, so your concerns are warranted. Plus side is 18z GFS was a touch cooler. We may be converging in a solution finally.

My head is spinning with this one. The NAM is often better at seeing low level cold air damming, and it's been pretty consistent today, but it's on a losing streak as of late to say the least. Also if often seems like if a mid level warm tongue can change us to pings and ice it often will in marginal situations. All of the models are being relatively stubborn with this one. Something has to give soon. Models seem to give us 3-14". We'll see, should be interesting at least.

0Z Goofus trended colder. A NAM coup would do a lot to help repair an awful winter. GFS looks like 1.3" QPF at Alb with mostly snow. Close call with the temp profile though. 500 mb dynamics shifted south a bit. Fingers crossed!

I'm not convinced the new GFS is mostly snow, I'll wait to see Bufkit. But one thing is for sure, we will mix. After the first wave, well see a mess of sleet/fzra, maybe plain old drizzle in the break. How well we do with the second half depends on how quickly temps crash. What's interesting with the GFS, it looks like we do a bit better with the second half of this storm than the first half...it just doesnt have as much precip with the initial wave tomorrow.

The New England thread is going bonkers for "GFS caves to NAM". At least the GFS is trending colder each run with the dynamics for part 2 shifting south. I hope your wrong about the "we will mix." All you need is a model and a dream....the NAM in this case (soundings show maybe an hour of possible mixing but prob mostly if not all snow).

I'm not convinced the new GFS is mostly snow, I'll wait to see Bufkit. But one thing is for sure, we will mix. After the first wave, well see a mess of sleet/fzra, maybe plain old drizzle in the break. How well we do with the second half depends on how quickly temps crash. What's interesting with the GFS, it looks like we do a bit better with the second half of this storm than the first half...it just doesnt have as much precip with the initial wave tomorrow.

It's awfully precarious....

It could be anywhere from about 4 inches to the extreme of a foot in ALB.

One positive is the RGEM which is running colder than the two US models and I can't recall the last time that happened.

I was wrong...Bufkit says 0z nam is still mostly snow at ALB. About 1.25" total QPF.

If it gets really light freezing drizzle maybe, but I don't expect FZRA..... PL yeah.....

25 here now ...off a high of 35 today.

January 11-12th was a rare event where we erred on the cold side wrt model mid level temp forecasts. It was knifes edge like this and 95% of it fell as snow here. It's really the only time all winter we sort of overachieved.

The New England thread is going bonkers for "GFS caves to NAM". At least the GFS is trending colder each run with the dynamics for part 2 shifting south. I hope your wrong about the "we will mix." All you need is a model and a dream....the NAM in this case (soundings show maybe an hour of possible mixing but prob mostly if not all snow).

For once I'd like to wake up the day of an impending storm and not have the models back way off on the QPF. Even if it's not all snow, I want a juicy exciting storm with decent precip rates. Hope the NAM and GFS hold serve or go bonkers with the 6Z and 12Z! Dream, dream , dream! Night all.

I was a little thrown off by the GFS qpf maps though because I forgot to look at the 12-18 hour period. We get some before 1 PM also...especially so out west.

At 18hrs the gfs looks pretty good, not to far from the nam..Just a little quicker..But at hr 24 it pushes the mod-heavy precip to the east unlike the nam which pushes it north..(1st image is really 2nd)

0z gfs

Ecm looks better, more precip and colder, herkimer only goes above freezing at 850 for about 3 hrs..Looks like 2-4 on the front end followed by a few hrs of mix and then 3-6/4-8 for the 2nd rnd..

Really looking like round 2 could be bigger than round 1. Some mix still likely in there...but if we stay at or below freezing for the duration, I'm not gonna complain.

..WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 6 PM

EST THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS...MOHAWK VALLEY...LAKE GEORGE

SARATOGA REGION AND SOUTHERN VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW WITH POSSIBLY A LITTLE SLEET AND

FREEZING RAIN MIXED IN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 16 INCHES WITH THE

GREATEST ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE SOUTHERN ADIRONDACKS...

EASTERN MOHAWK VALLEY AND SOUTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS. SNOW

ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 12 INCHES IN HERKIMER COUNTY...AND THE

LAKE GEORGE NORTHERN SARATOGA REGION. A TRACE TO A TENTH OF AN

INCH OF ICE ACCRETION MAINLY IN THE WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA THIS AFTERNOON AND

CONTINUE THROUGH THE OVERNIGHT AND ON THURSDAY...FINALLY

TAPERING OFF IN THE EVENING. THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF SLEET

MIXING IN WITH THE SNOW ACROSS NORTHERN HERKIMER COUNTY AS

WELL AS A MIXTURE OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN ACROSS SOUTHERN

HERKIMER COUNTY.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...EAST TO NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20

MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 20S TO MID 30S.

Archived