• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Lion Roars: 2/29-3/1 Winter Storm

Logan11

I get back into town around 7pm tomorrow... so maybe I'll get to enjoy a LITTLE taste of winter before the liquid, and beginning of the melt, on Saturday. :weenie:

This light snow is very persistent. Now 30.9 so it can stick to roads, etc. again. I believe we got 2 inches since about 9:00 AM ..probably would have been 3" had it not been so marginal with the sun angle etc.

My final will probably go in at 11" , but I'll hold off a little longer. My goal now is 5" more inches this month to get to 50".

If you want to stay up will midnight tomorrow night the 18Z NAM is trending toward that being a a quick few hour burst of snow/sleet it seems...then showers with the front and 40's during the day Saturday.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got 5.5" from round 1 and I'm guessing about 4" from round 2. Ended up with 7" on the ground. Went to Thacher Park today. There was abou11-12" on the ground. XC skiing was really good. Ski tracks packed down to around a 5" base. Up at 1600' there was about 1/10th inch of ice accretion on the tress. Down at 1200' there was no ice on the trees. Not sure when that occurred. It was absolutely beautiful. Every branch was covered with snow. Temp go up to 32F up there so there wasn't any slush like down here in the valley. Finally got 1 really good local ski day in!!! I guess better late than never.

During that lull last night it was somewhat foggy with misty and that was accreting on things...sounds like a lot more though at 1600 ft. Once the echoes came in again around 1:00 AM it started in as heavy blinding graupel and snow grains. Then it went to a better flake quality.

Final here 11" ...about 10" on the grass now on average. Down to flurries and 29.

I shoveled out the 300 foot long driveway....a little tired. LOL Tractor/loader needs a part and I figured it's "probably" the last big deal of the season.

I got 5.5" from round 1 and I'm guessing about 4" from round 2. Ended up with 7" on the ground. Went to Thacher Park today. There was abou11-12" on the ground. XC skiing was really good. Ski tracks packed down to around a 5" base. Up at 1600' there was about 1/10th inch of ice accretion on the tress. Down at 1200' there was no ice on the trees. Not sure when that occurred. It was absolutely beautiful. Every branch was covered with snow. Temp go up to 32F up there so there wasn't any slush like down here in the valley. Finally got 1 really good local ski day in!!! I guess better late than never.

Yeah...too warm in the valley to have much stick today...maybe an additional 0.5" this morning...I say abou 9" for the total. Turns out the nam did pretty well with this...had we managed to stay 5 degrees colder today, would've been a foot region wide. Oh well, I'm not complaining. Im ready for spring. 60s likely by the end of next week.

I just wish I could squeeze in one quality snow shoe day locally this winter. If only the weekend rain would be Sunday instead of Saturday, I could sneak in an hour at Christman's sanctuary in Saturday. Alas, this winter being what it is, I guess it's just not in the cards.

During that lull last night it was somewhat foggy with misty and that was accreting on things...sounds like a lot more though at 1600 ft. Once the echoes came in again around 1:00 AM it started in as heavy blinding graupel and snow grains. Then it went to a better flake quality.

Final here 11" ...about 10" on the grass now on average. Down to flurries and 29.

I shoveled out the 300 foot long driveway....a little tired. LOL Tractor/loader needs a part and I figured it's "probably" the last big deal of the season.

1" yesterday for a storm total of 5". Yearly total of 37" (including 9" in October), only 90" below last year. :axe:

Thanks for keeping track. I use your numbers as a general reference at 90% for my location, particularly being lower in elevation.

I just got in a nice snow shoe over to Christman. It's about 2 miles east/east northeast over to there (given the circuitous nature) by heading back my property and eventually to Christman. I spot a car over there and do it one-way.

Most of the people that have been on their trails have just been in boots so not too great...no good track made. But I don't hit their trail system until the last half mile. I see some imbecile must have thrown a rock at the plexiglass covering their map and cracked it.

Tomorrow won't wipe out all our snow here and tonight is gonna be a snow/sleet deal to start. But it will be all iced over - not pristine like now.

I just wish I could squeeze in one quality snow shoe day locally this winter. If only the weekend rain would be Sunday instead of Saturday, I could sneak in an hour at Christman's sanctuary in Saturday. Alas, this winter being what it is, I guess it's just not in the cards.

High Wind Warning in affect with Gust approaching Hurricane criteria tonight into tomorrow.

* LOCATIONS...THE NIAGARA FRONTIER.

* TIMING...MIDNIGHT SATURDAY THROUGH LATE SATURDAY EVENING.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 70 MPH.

* IMPACTS...STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN POWER OUTAGES AND BRING

DOWN SOME TREES AND LIMBS. PROPERTY DAMAGE IS ALSO LIKELY

INCLUDING MINOR ROOF AND SIDING DAMAGE.

BUFKIT MOMENTUM TRANSFER SCHEMES FROM BOTH THE NAM AND GFS SHOW

SOLID WARNING CRITERIA WIND GUSTS ACROSS MOST OF THE REGION...WITH

THE STRONGEST WINDS IN THE CORRIDOR FROM LAKE ERIE NORTHEAST ACROSS

THE NIAGARA FRONTIER TO ROCHESTER...AND ALSO AT THE NORTHEAST END OF

LAKE ONTARIO. WITH SUCH FAVORABLE DOWNWARD MOMENTUM TRANSFER

EXPECTED AND THE VERY STRONG WINDS ALOFT...GUSTS OF 70-75 MPH ARE

POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

Archived