joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Lion Roars: 2/29-3/1 Winter Storm

Logan11

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z NAM holding strong...1.2" QPF at ALB, all snow. I'm generally thinking 6" when all is said and done. I still think some sleet could mix in for a time and even if it doesn't, ratios may be pretty bad during periods of lighter precip. But we'll see.

Radar suggests flakes are on the doorstep...expecting things to commence within the hour.

NAM text output for SCH is 12.1" of snow over the long duration with a max of 1.9" in any one three hour interval. This the kind of event I hoped for in ths kind of winter.....it wasn't gonna be a year of excting dynamic Nor'easters producing +SN.

26.8 and moving close to a moderate snow out there now. No temp issues as long as it's this far below freezing.

12z NAM holding strong...1.2" QPF at ALB, all snow. I'm generally thinking 6" when all is said and done. I still think some sleet could mix in for a time and even if it doesn't, ratios may be pretty bad during periods of lighter precip. But we'll see.

Radar suggests flakes are on the doorstep...expecting things to commence within the hour.

update from wktv

Snow will continue to fall through the morning. On the radar, there are some breaks in the snow across Western New York. Based on the data and track of the storm, the precipitation should fill in this gap as the surface storm develops to the south. That would (in theory) keep the snow going throughout the day. By the evening, a general 2-4" of snowfall is expected for the area.

The new 12z information suggests that the atmosphere falls below freezing after midnight, changing any sleet/freezing rain back over to snow. The upper level low will hold together quite well, keeping light to moderate snow in the forecast through tomorrow afternoon. An additional 2-4" of snow (perhaps even more on the higher elevations) is possible.

http://www.wktv.com/weather/blogs

Euro is good for another 2-4" early morning tomorrow with the second round. Higher elevations look to pick up another couple inches throughout the day Thursday as well, although it looks like maybe the combo of light QPF and warming BL temps kills any chance at much additional daytime accumulations for the valley. Still, seems like we're on track for a solid 3" here from round one...if we get another 2-4" early morning tomorrow then I'm happy and ready to put an end to this miserable winter.

A good 1.5" here now... SN and 27.7F.

Euro is good for another 2-4" early morning tomorrow with the second round. Higher elevations look to pick up another couple inches throughout the day Thursday as well, although it looks like maybe the combo of light QPF and warming BL temps kills any chance at much additional daytime accumulations for the valley. Still, seems like we're on track for a solid 3" here from round one...if we get another 2-4" early morning tomorrow then I'm happy and ready to put an end to this miserable winter.

Just got home and measured 3" on the patio table. I must say, I was worried this first round of precip would disappoint, but we should end with a solid 3.5-4"...making it the biggest event of the year for me! And 18z NAM looking decent for round 2...easily another 2-4" late tonight/early morning, potentially more.

KALB

OVERNIGHT THE FORECAST BECOMES MORE COMPLICATED ONCE AGAIN. ONCE THE

DRY WEDGE ALOFT PASSES THROUGH...ADDITIONAL CLOUD TOP COOLING IS

EXPECTED AS MID/HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS FROM DEVELOPING CONVECTION ACROSS

THE OH/PENN/WV/VA AREA MOVE OVERHEAD WHILE SECONDARY CYCLOGENESIS

OCCURS NEAR THE NEW JERSEY COAST. THE SECONDARY DEVELOPMENT IS

CRUCIAL...SINCE IT WILL CONTINUE TO RESULT IN SUBSTANTIAL LOW LEVEL

BAROCLINICITY JUST TO THE SOUTH OF OUR AREA...WITH HIGH PRESSURE TO

THE NORTHEAST PROVIDING THE LOW LEVEL COLD AIR FEED.

SO...THE NAM/GFS/ECMWF ALL SHOWING MORE ORGANIZED AND WIDESPREAD

PRECIP RE-DEVELOPING AFTER MIDNIGHT ACROSS THE AREA. THIS WILL LEAD

TO ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATING SNOW ACROSS NORTHERN AND CENTRAL

AREAS...WITH SLEET/FREEZING RAIN/PLAIN RAIN TO THE SOUTH. SLEET IS

EXPECTED TO MIX IN AGAIN AROUND THE CAPITAL REGION/MOHAWK

VALLEY/BERKSHIRES...HOWEVER THE MAGNITUDE OF THE WARM NOSE ALOFT IS

NOW EXPECTED TO BE COLDER AND THUS LESS OF A MIX. ONLY AREA OF REAL

CONCERN FOR SEVERAL HOURS OF ICING DUE TO FREEZING RAIN WILL BE

ACROSS THE EASTERN CATSKILLS AND NORTHERN LITCHFIELD CT.

Archived