joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 5 potential storm

MJO812

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The newer 09z SREF are south by over 100 miles.

This is a DC south storm with perhaps some light snow for southern NJ. Its pretty apparent now that the cutoff low will stay closed off way too long and that would stop the interaction needed with the northern stream.

The cutoff needs to open up much earlier then what is currently modeled.

On the 12z NAM, the 500mb vorticity is all sheared and strung out along the positive tiltled trough axis at 54hrs. It's not going to come much further north like that.

True but its happend in previous years - this still has a shot of coming as far north as NYC. LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS AT OZ.

Rossi

you really don't even have a remote shot with the NAM.. The sounding tells the story... Aside from the fact that it's nowhere near saturated, look at the wind profile.... kiss of death... winds are backing with height.... aka.. cold air advection.. aka.. sinking motion in the atmosphere... not only do you not have any forcing mechanism, you've got the exact opposite.

18418.GIF

I through in the towel for December and then January...I'm not ready to cancel February yet...Or March for that matter...I'm not expecting much but I don't think we will get shut out like 2002...2002 did have a cold spell in April with three mornings below freezing and a cold first day of Spring...It still wasn't enough to keep from setting the record for the least amount of freezing days in a season...

I through in the towel for December and then January...I'm not ready to cancel February yet...Or March for that matter...I'm not expecting much but I don't think we will get shut out like 2002...2002 did have a cold spell in April with three mornings below freezing and a cold first day of Spring...It still wasn't enough to keep from setting the record for the least amount of freezing days in a season...

Agree Unc, your analogs have been fairly good this winter if I remember correctly; I think you called for feb to be snowier compared to dec and jan (which this year all we need is a light storm, pathetic, but true).

it's just funny how people keep posting about threats/cold shots when every single one ends up not materializing.... admittedly we had that storm a few weeks ago but that vanished within two days.

lol so true. and funny they think they actually have it all figured out and than bam reality hits

I agree that we should get another 1 or 2 small to moderate snowfalls. With a Feb snowfall at least the accumulations stick around for a while but the March accumulations melt away too quickly.

Wishful thinking!

And the GEFS are well north of the operational. The .25" precip line touches the south shore.

12zgfsensemblep72072.gif

anyone remember the GEFS for the Feb 5, 2010..had MAJOR precip getting up here...nope, didnt happen..and neither is this...we wont see ONE FLAKE OR DROP of precip from this...

Archived